• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Indy Pass sold

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wonder how this will change the Indy Pass in the future?

Bob V

Booting up
Skier
They already announced two changes:
- number of passes sold by year limited
- a physical card with direct lift access where possible

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
These automated ticket systems along with dynamic pricing model, are making skiing at some of these small mountains a PITA. One of our local hills has tried to implement the Entabeni system with limited success and has contributed to some frustrated customers. Experienced it last season at a larger regional mountain, and have heard some grumbling about RFID cards and systems not working properly. I don't know a lot about it in general. But, why can't you just go to the hill, buy a lift pass at the counter (at a constant set price) and go skiing? Or go to the lunch counter and buy a sandwich and hot chocolate and just throw-out a $20 bill? Pretty complicated for simple transactions.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
These automated ticket systems along with dynamic pricing model, are making skiing at some of these small mountains a PITA. One of our local hills has tried to implement the Entabeni system with limited success and has contributed to some frustrated customers. Experienced it last season at a larger regional mountain, and have heard some grumbling about RFID cards and systems not working properly. I don't know a lot about it in general. But, why can't you just go to the hill, buy a lift pass at the counter (at a constant set price) and go skiing? Or go to the lunch counter and buy a sandwich and hot chocolate and just throw-out a $20 bill? Pretty complicated for simple transactions.
The answer is pretty simple and is the same reason the airline ticket you bought today is not the same price you saw it for yesterday. It is all about maximizing revenue to the detriment and frustration of the consumer.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
It is all about maximizing revenue to the detriment and frustration of the consumer.
Frustration yes. I'm less sure of the "detriment" part. Airline prices had stayed low so far. If you want constant consistent prices, what do you think the airlines will do to maintain the same revenue?

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Limiting passes sold is a nice marketing move until we see how soon they cut sales off.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Frustration yes. I'm less sure of the "detriment" part. Airline prices had stayed low so far. If you want constant consistent prices, what do you think the airlines will do to maintain the same revenue?
Perhaps I should say the financial detriment. This week I bought airline tickets. I checked prices and times on Sunday but before pulling the trigger I needed to check with the family we were visiting to make sure the dates were OK. Monday, I was too busy to deal with it. Tuesday, I bought them. I paid much more for 2 of the three legs than two days prior. I would say that is to my detriment.

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
I'm skiing for less than $20/day in the era of $300 day tickets. If "dynamic pricing" or whatever is responsible for that, I can live with it. Yeah, it's annoying for the suck^H^H^H customers who pay window price, but they have the same options as I do.

A physical pass with direct to lift access is a huge improvement. I'm spoiled by my other three season passes where I just head to the lift. YMMV.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The two from my limited reading indicates they're in different worlds, one actual lifts and the other simply ticketing?

If so, maybe they'll be limited change and a simpler check in process. Today for me, Indy is easy, i just go to the window and they look me up. But if I can save the 10 min .. why not?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool news for Doug, who worked his tuchus off to build Indy Pass.

Hoping the new owners keep it rolling!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
decided I needed to use a day of my Indy by hitting Sundown Mountain in Dubuque Iowa today.

Quite nice day with sun, warmth, descent runs for the midwest.

However the more fun news was I ran into an ex Paoli Peaks instructor/lead who noted he was wishing to use his Indy pass. He was doing a loop to hit Sundown, tomorrow Chestnut, then up to Wisconsin for a few resorts on the pass.

Had I known, I'd been tempted to join the effort. :)

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI,

Indy Email on 23-24 passes, down at $279 ..... I bought later this last year and it was just over $300.

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
FYI,

Indy Email on 23-24 passes, down at $279 ..... I bought later this last year and it was just over $300.
I just checked my emails from last year. Early bird pricing for 22/23 was $279. Price went up May 17, 2022.

So, same price as last year. Great deal though.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
today last day on the $279 if you had a pass this last season .. .22-23

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
The answer is pretty simple and is the same reason the airline ticket you bought today is not the same price you saw it for yesterday. It is all about maximizing revenue to the detriment and frustration of the consumer.
Clear your cookies and cache and good chance you will see cheaper airfares.

Sponsor