• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Inflation rate in skiing

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m sorry, what were we talking about?

Oh that’s right….it’s getting excessively expensive beyond the rate of inflation, to travel to ski because of overpriced accommodations, an undersupply of vehicles in rental fleets, and expensive day tickets at resorts with even more overpriced ski lessons with underpaid instructors.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m sorry, what were we talking about?

Oh that’s right….it’s getting excessively expensive beyond the rate of inflation, to travel to ski because of overpriced accommodations, an undersupply of vehicles in rental fleets, and expensive day tickets at resorts with even more overpriced ski lessons with underpaid instructors.

Travel expense is what is killing the budget. Stay local, get a pass and burn the ptex.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So you don't have a license but drive, and don't think it matters... :huh:

Well, I'd better not ask any more questions. And do my best to forget what I already read.

Start with a blank slate, again.

You're not very familiar with his posting/writing style so I wouldn't assume that he doesn't have a license.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I think the huffing of the ptex may have contributed to the written style ;)
I'm at a mountain where rocks are rare, so I haven't burned ptex in ages. Am I missing out on a free "high"? ;)

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
You're not very familiar with his posting/writing style so I wouldn't assume that he doesn't have a license.
Actually, I've always assuming he has a license. But his "posting style" is pretending he's one of those without (or drives like one). So you're right, I'm not familiar with that style

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
You absolutely nailed it!

That said, are people who live near the mountains (no expensive lodging bill, no rental car, no lesson, cheap mega passes) happy?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
You absolutely nailed it!

That said, are people who live near the mountains (no expensive lodging bill, no rental car, no lesson, cheap mega passes) happy?

Depends.

If they're glass-half-full types they'll be happy: they live in the mountains; they get to ski often; the value of their real estate's just gone up massively;.... :golfclap:

If they're glass-half-empty types they'll probably be unhappy: there's too many people tracking out their pow; they're skiing so much they're tired; real estate's gone off its peak; split seconds aren't what they used to be.:eek:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Thanks but there isn't a requirement for defending my post.
Rather than a deficiency in writing. It's more of an reading comprehension issue.

This was my post in response to his post.
Trust me, I have.
That never stop them from driving though.

His post.
You haven't met the New Yorkers who never had a driver's license.

The phrase "I have" n my post refers to his post that I haven't met an New Yorker who never had a driver's license.
He then assume I was referring to myself as one of the "them" in the next sentence in my post. Could be simply being obtuse or just like to read more into something that isn't.

Nevertheless, bad assumption on his part.

Anyway, one can always drive with or without a license. Driving without a license is simple as getting into the car , put the car in drive and work that round little thingie in front of you. No muss, no fuss. Unless you get your sorry a** pulled over by the local constable. A coupon for a dozen unkins may just save the day.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
There isn't a requirement for defending one's post. But if one does, that "defense" is then opened to be challenged!

It was an incorrect assumption by a third party, not mine. However, despite the post right beneath it clarified that, he continues to make "assumptions" assign the third party's incorrect assumptions to me. And proceed to "defend" against such "bad assumptions".

Now that's a "posting style" that entirely eluded me. So I shall not bother to "defend" my post. Though I could, for fun, emulate that "style" so to make random "assumptions" and make argument against them...

Nah, it's time to get my stuff together to go skiing! :ogbiggrin:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We could have a rule that if you aren't able to communicate clearly, you can't go skiing.

I'm sure that will go over well.

Which is to say, I have given up trying to redirect the thread back to the thread, rather than contribute to the perpetual going-off-the-rails.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We could have a rule that if you aren't able to communicate clearly, you can't go skiing.

I'm sure that will go over well.

Which is to say, I have given up trying to redirect the thread back to the thread, rather than contribute to the perpetual going-off-the-rails.
It does have a certain circling the bowl flavour , doesn't it...

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So shifting back to the original premise of this thread, inflation's impact on skiing, I think that this is going to be resort dependent. We have booked a lot of trips this year since my daughter is actively competing in Freeride. In addition to this, we also have some family trips and I also have guys trip. In total about 6 trips booked so far and likely a few more on the way. Here is my take on what we booked so far:

Canada is still a big bang for you buck:
  • We booked Whistler between Christmas and New Years and were able to find a well located affordable condo in the village. Edge cards are still a great deal. We plan to cook a lot and buy lunch on the hill. Overall a little more expensive than what we paid 4 years back when used to go to Whistler but not much more.
  • Red - this place was very reasonable, 3 nights hotel (4 min shuttle from hill) for less than $500 cdn in early Feb.
  • Banff - super reasonable, there for a week and have 2 hotel rooms in the heart of Banff for less than $300/night combined. April is a super bargain
  • Jackson Hole - staying at a 4 star resort for about $100/night - prices seem quite reasonable in March
  • Crystal - great deal on a weeks condo rental at Crystal Chalets for tail end of Presidents Day Weekend
  • Schweitzer - reasonable hotel prices in Ponderay ditto for meals
Now I am sure if was going to Big Sky, Aspen or Vail or some of the other super trendy extra spendy resorts I might be complaining about inflation, but that is not how this year worked out so far. We have Ikon passes for most of our trips and Edge cards for Whistler, which is saving us a ton on lift tickets. The point being is if you plan in advance so you get great deals on accommodation and buy the right combination of multi-resort passes, you can still get a pretty big bang for you buck. Now to be clear skiing is not cheap ... just Ikon passes alone runs us over $4K and that is significant ... but this is not going to be significantly more expensive as compared to last year or the previous year. Then again we save a lot of money on flights as I secured all our tickets with points or will drive. When I do rent a car I am able to use my corporate discount which makes it super reasonable too. But I also had those deals last year, so for the most part we have not seen a huge inflationary hit on our ski trips ... next year that might be a different story :)

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reminds me of my "if you are going to cry, you can't ski Starr" story.
Now that's a story I want to hear about ogsmile

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that's a story I want to hear about ogsmile
I'm pretty sure I've told it here before. Heck, I may have told it to you in person, too.

Anyway...
For background, as you know, Starr at Stowe is one of the legendary "Front Four" and sometimes challenging to ski from the top. To get to it, you ski an easy trail along the ridgeline and then drop in through a gate.

I'm standing at the gate, pondering whether I ought to ski it. A dad and a young girl, somewhere around 6 years old, ski up and stop next to me. The girl plops down on the snow and starts to cry.
So I think "Oh, no, an overbearing dad, pushing too hard for something she isn't ready for. He is going to make her hate skiing."
Then Dad says, ...
"If you are going to cry, you can't ski Starr."

Girl stops crying, stands up, drops in and skis it perfectly.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure I've told it here before. Heck, I may have told it to you in person, too.

Anyway...
For background, as you know, Starr at Stowe is one of the legendary "Front Four" and sometimes challenging to ski from the top. To get to it, you ski an easy trail along the ridgeline and then drop in through a gate.

I'm standing at the gate, pondering whether I ought to ski it. A dad and a young girl, somewhere around 6 years old, ski up and stop next to me. The girl plops down on the snow and starts to cry.
So I think "Oh, no, an overbearing dad, pushing too hard for something she isn't ready for. He is going to make her hate skiing."
Then Dad says, ...
"If you are going to cry, you can't ski Starr."

Girl stops crying, stands up, drops in and skis it perfectly.

Oh yeah. I remember the story now. ogsmile

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Oh yeah. I remember the story now. ogsmile
This kind of reminds me of the first time each of my kids skied International at Alpental top to bottom, it also speaks to their differences in personality. To start with this is a real deal challenging double black. The entrance is super steep with lots of rocks and cliffs. The first time you ski it just getting in is the intimidating part, but there are some tricks if you pick the right path in. Here is how my three kids handled their first time:
  • My eldest probably skied for the first time when she was about 9-10 years old and had been skiing for about 3-4 years. She maybe paused at the opening for about a minute and decided to take the right approach which is the steepest and just drop straight in by launching over the rocks
  • My Middle daughter was about 7-8 her first attempt and froze at the top for about 20 minutes before side slipping past the rocks and skiing across the hill. There were a few tears but she refused to quit.
  • My Son tried it when he was about 6, he was scared but decided to follow dad's line where I enter and cut to the left avoiding both the rocks and the drop.

1668884294096.png

The funny thing about this run is once you overcome your fear and drop in the snow is great and you a long steep and deep run that never ever gets groomed with lots of natural features, access to the back bowls, gladed runs through the trees and lots of open terrain. Getting up the guts to drop in is the challenge, but once you overcome that it is a huge confidence boost. More importantly if you can ski this, you can ski just about any run at any mountain.