• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Intermediate one ski quiver for Sun Valley

bend

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have spent hours reading guides and reviews but i'm dumb so before buying some skis i figured it was best to actually get some smart people's advice. I grew up in Idaho and used to ski on youth race teams and go on the mountain 80 times a year, but I moved away after high school (20 years ago) and since have only gone up a handful of times on demos at various places on the east coast. So, i'm out of shape, have forgotten everything beyond the basics & haven't been on western snow in forever, but I just moved back (thanks, COVID) and got a season pass for the first time since Kobe & Shaq were winning rings together and want to get some skis that will work for me. Like, I expect to progress quickly as it comes back to me so I don't want to get truly just beginner skis that I'll outgrow in a month, but i also don't want to make the mistake of underestimating how terrible I probably am as a skier at the moment. i don't imagine I'll be going off-piste too much anytime soon but I'm really unsure of what waist might be best for a sun valley snowfall. I was thinking about maybe the Enforcer 88s, but that's really just based on a variety of google search results and blister buying guides. If you have any advice I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You will get a lot of recommendations, but one quick and easy idea would be the Liberty V76 that JohnnyVW has for sale here (if they are the right size). Sun Valley is groomer heaven and I assume you may stick mostly to groomers for awhile as you get back into it. These are reputed to be easy but with performance.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The calling card for Sun Valley is the Stockli Laser AX. While it might be a bit more expensive up front, as you get better the ski will grow with you so it can replace your next two purchases making it less expensive in the long run.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The calling card for Sun Valley is the Stöckli Laser AX. While it might be a bit more expensive up front, as you get better the ski will grow with you so it can replace your next two purchases making it less expensive in the long run.
Wouldn’t the Blossom AM77 fit the bill as well?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, first Phil suggests a $1200 ski and then everyone will pile on about boots.
Man...this place is where dreams go to die. :duck:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, first Phil suggests a $1200 ski and then everyone will pile on about boots.
Just because something is expensive, does not mean it's a not good value ;) I am saving him $200! His next two ski purchased at $600/ea but only ONE set of bindings at $200)! #spaving.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The calling card for Sun Valley is the Stöckli Laser AX. While it might be a bit more expensive up front, as you get better the ski will grow with you so it can replace your next two purchases making it less expensive in the long run.

I was going to suggest this, at the risk of sounding like a broken record.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A more affordable option that has been compared favorably to Stockli's is the Fischer RC One GT 86. Or the new Rossignol Experience 86 Ti...

Sponsor

Staff online