• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Iphone does not recognize wifi network

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
My iPhone will not recognize my home Wi-Fi network. I restarted the modem. I reset the network settings on my iPhone. It recognizes the networks from the other condos near mine.

Any thoughts?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've had some weird things like this recently. First question, do you have a combined router/modem? Do any devices connected by ethernet cable make it out to the internet?

TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had some weird things like this recently. First question, do you have a combined router/modem? Do any devices connected by ethernet cable make it out to the internet?
I have a cable that I use for my laptop but did not have my laptop with me.

I have an xfinity modem. I think it is a combo but not sure.

scott43

Skier
So I have a combo router modem and it's been dropping WiFi coverage now and again. Wired connections continue to function. I cannot understand why WiFi only drops other than some issue within the router logic talking to the modem. I've read some things and some folks have had success with getting a separate standalone router and bridging to it, disabling the internal router.

For now I'd suggest forgetting the connection and reconnecting and entering your security key again.

TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem is that the network does not even show up on my iPhone. I haven’t been to the condo in quite a while. It used to connect automatically. I can’t even forget the network because it doesn’t show up.

Gerard

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You could try clicking on "Other" when looking at Networks in the settings. Then enter the SSID and Password.

TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, after a very frustrating 30 minute with Xfinity, they said something about disabling rich mode so that the wifi broadcasted. I had a hard time understanding exactly what was done.

I will give it a try next time I am there.

Thanks for your help.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was just a thought. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the right ones. I have had this happen with my laptop, and after rebooting both the computer and the modem several times it just connected. No rhyme nor reason

TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
It was just a thought. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the right ones. I have had this happen with my laptop, and after rebooting both the computer and the modem several times it just connected. No rhyme nor reason
I understand and I appreciate your suggestion. As you can probably tell I know very little about how these things operate. It is just frustrating when everything is set up and then you go there and it doesn’t work.

scott43

Skier
So I'm an IT professional and quite frankly some of this BS irritates the hell out of me. My favourite line goes something like "surely to God, after thirty years of home computing, this crap would actually work..."

TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
So I'm an IT professional and quite frankly some of this BS irritates the hell out of me. My favourite line goes something like "surely to God, after thirty years of home computing, this crap would actually work..."
I used some more colorful language to describe the situation.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So if you can see other networks but not yours it's a good bet that your box is bad.. Are other devices able to connect to it via WiFi (no network cable)?

It could also be that your phone is set up with the non 5G preference in the network settings.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking of Arthur C. Clark's 3 Laws, including:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

We're not there yet.

I tend to have these weird issues pop up when there's an IOS update and have to re-do some settings.

Lately I've also been getting some other business in my building connecting to my bluetooth speakers while connecting a Zoom meeting, while I am in session with a client. It's disconcerting to suddenly have other voices in the room. Never used to happen, had it happen 3 times in the last month. Black magic, I guess. I have to either disconnect the power to the bluetooth speakers, or have already connected to my iPad or iPhone to play some background music.

scott43

Skier
So we used to use apps that were developed by professionals on technically proficient platforms. I used to have uptimes measured in months or years. Now every idiot dilettante is making fart apps that can't recover from any kind of basic error. No sensible error codes, if it even throws any kind of error. In true Orwellian fashion, alpha version is consumer version, release is success.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, after a very frustrating 30 minute with Xfinity, they said something about disabling rich mode so that the wifi broadcasted. I had a hard time understanding exactly what was done.

I will give it a try next time I am there.

Thanks for your help.

Xfinity's customer service is so maddening. When I was moving I knew I had about a week where I needed service in both my old and new home. I contacted them before hand to make sure I could set it up that way but sure enough, when I activated the new service it cut off my old service which is where I needed to actually do my job. Then they wanted to sign me up for a new contract for the old place to get it started again. ARGH!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Xfinity's customer service is so maddening. When I was moving I knew I had about a week where I needed service in both my old and new home. I contacted them before hand to make sure I could set it up that way but sure enough, when I activated the new service it cut off my old service which is where I needed to actually do my job. Then they wanted to sign me up for a new contract for the old place to get it started again. ARGH!
That's a tricky one, because one service can't be at two locations, so they would have to establish a new account at the new address and have a different date to disconnect the old location. If the package included phone service there would need to be a new phone number at the new address, which you would likely have to pay extra to transfer to the new location. I realize most people these days don't use landlines, but an account is often associated with or identified with a phone number.

It shouldn't have been that hard to do, but maybe the person who took your call was inexperienced. Or didn't care, in which case they should be terribly ashamed of theirself.

And never be allowed to ski.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a tricky one, because one service can't be at two locations, so they would have to establish a new account at the new address and have a different date to disconnect the old location. If the package included phone service there would need to be a new phone number at the new address, which you would likely have to pay extra to transfer to the new location. I realize most people these days don't use landlines, but an account is often associated with or identified with a phone number.

It shouldn't have been that hard to do, but maybe the person who took your call was inexperienced. Or didn't care, in which case they should be terribly ashamed of theirself.

And never be allowed to ski.

It was set up as 2 separate accounts and different start/end dates when I set it up. No phone service, I haven’t had a landline since 2001.

Sponsor

Staff online