• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyway, I'm trying mightily to not get too spun up about rudeness anymore, as it does seem like it's worse than ever (gotta love the gangsta/raper rap playing loudly in the parking lot!) But sometimes, it's not easy to stay positive and let things roll. Maybe it's the PNW-like number of gray days we've had this season, I don't know.

3937.jpg

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
This drives me crazy as well. Boarders and skiers alike...I'm a midweek skier and usually have a very uncrowned hill. Its totally laughable and infuriating when someone come out of nowhere and practically runs over your tails mid-mountain and your 4 feet from me (or whomever) Guess that other 3000 acres of terrain isn't good enough. Unreal.

i actually think there are a lot of skiers/boarders who don't know how to control their speed or actually turn where and when they want to. The other likelihood is that they're totally unaware of where they are on the hill and where other skiers are likely to be. My 13 year old son is a great skier but tbh he's a menace because he's only aware of a 1-meter bubble around where he is at any given time. It's like he's skiing in one of the giant inflatable balls that people roll down hills in NZ inside. More than once I've made him personally apologize for close calls. He doesn't understand that nervous skiers get freaked out easily. Hopefully the etiquette lesson will stick before he runs into someone who gets up an clocks him in the face...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
All because of the damned fat skis and snowboards..
Last week I skied with an old co-worker and we had a similar conversation, he said that the future of snow sports is snowboarding. As much as I don't like the idea of that statement it is hard to rebut it. I wonder if the retail industry has any statistics about ski sale vs snowboard sales and what the trend shows.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I wouldn't write off skiing. I saw road bikes on life support thirty years ago. You couldn't give them away. But it's obviously rebounded.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Last week I skied with an old co-worker and we had a similar conversation, he said that the future of snow sports is snowboarding.
Your area must be way behind the curve. We had a huge influx of snowboarders about 20 years ago, and everyone was wondering if skiing would survive, but now the numbers have evened out, with snowboards declining. Now skis are on more folks feet than boards (not by much and it may be my wishful thinking, but it looks like it to me.)

A completely unsubstantiated opinion from the chairlift is that the new generation is going to skis because their parents are boarders. It also may be because we have a lot of hike-to backcountry that has become very popular, and skis are the ticket there.

James

Out There
Instructor
Last week I skied with an old co-worker and we had a similar conversation, he said that the future of snow sports is snowboarding. As much as I don't like the idea of that statement it is hard to rebut it. I wonder if the retail industry has any statistics about ski sale vs snowboard sales and what the trend shows.
He’s been asleep for the last 15 years. Snowboarding is in a big decline. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s rebounded a little in the last couple years.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Hate the negative threads yet based on a couple examples the last few days I can ensure you bad behavior of the older generation will be passed onto their offspring.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Number of participants in snowboarding in the U.S. 2007-2017
Published by Christina Gough, Jan 24, 2020
This statistic shows the Number of participants in snowboarding in the United States from 2007 to 2017. In 2016, there were approximately 7.6 million participants in snowboarding in the U.S., down from 7.68 million the previous year.

Number of participants in snowboarding in the United States from 2007 to 2017(in millions)

Statistic: Number of participants in snowboarding in the United States from 2007 to 2017 (in millions)

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
I don’t think a snowboarder can have full control on hardpacked though, the best emergency stop for them is distance related to their velocity and throw in their skill level as well.
I watched a kid wipe out when traveling ahead of his buddy- the first one here was stopped belly down looking up hill and then, with maybe good intentions to stop in time, - his “friend” slammed on the brakes spraying snow- only he never came to a complete stop.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
People ask me why I still play hockey. I tell them it's because I can punch dicks in the face if I feel like it.,. Sorry not sorry..

Also, continuing to play keeps the "hockey elbows" tuned up for surprise ski trips to Europe! ogwink

The numbers showing up at ski school indicate a lot more interest for new skiers than for new boarders.

"My dad snowboards. Teach me to ski."

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The numbers showing up at ski school indicate a lot more interest for new skiers than for new boarders.
Snowboarding and skater culture is anti establishment in general and thus ski school lesson metrics is a poor measure of snowboard interest.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
he's only aware of a 1-meter bubble
A full meter is pretty good for a 13yo! We lived that with our kids and kids of friends. Whether it's a bicycle, motor bike, skis, or just walking in a crowd it's SO hard to get them to "look past the front tire". As they get older you realize how much they really do see without an obvious look. ME: Didn't you see that guy! HE: You mean the one with the red hat, yellow jacket, black pants, Head Raptor boots, and Rossignol skis? Yeah, I saw him.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I recently returned from Japan. Lots higher proportion of snowboarders there than here. Many very good snowboarders are carving trenches into the snow, and no scary ones that I saw. Now about lift line etiquette...the normally exceedingly polite Japanese don't have a clue in a lift line. Part of the problem is the ski areas don't have a clue how to set up a lift line maze or merge or funnel or even an effective singles line.

Sponsor