• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is it possible for modern skiers to go back to pre-plastic ski outerwear and how would you imagine your skiing day/season would look like if it did?

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
its called telemark
I resemble that remark sometimes :ogbiggrin:

pinners-from-hell_comix_8x.jpg

Wool pants (old military type) are fairly good for ski touring actually.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I resemble that remark sometimes :ogbiggrin:

Wool pants (old military type) are fairly good for ski touring actually.
I would have thought that wool would be heavy.
Not that I claim to be super knowledgeable about touring set ups.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some people do ski in non plastic gear.
Check out one of @Dan Egan's sponsors
https://www.alpsandmeters.com
Their stuff is really well made. A bit heavy, but well made. Wool. Waxed Cotton...you name it.
For reference, when I was working with the hall of fame for silent auction items, Alps and Meters donated a full men's kid and full women's kit, plus a few sweaters and anoraks.

The full kits were wool pants
example: women's kit
Wool trousers

Corduroy Jacket

This kit is gorgeous and we had some really successful bidding in the silent auction.

James

Out There
Instructor
Even wool is more sophisticated these days with blends of different types.
You’ll probably still smell like a wet dog after the rain if you eliminate chemical treatments of the fibers.

But jeans and cotton thermals? No thanks. That stuff was dumb back then.

I once hauled a waxed cotton raincoat (Barbour) in a fall hike up Mt Humphrey’s in AZ. (AZ Snowbowl) Heavy as hell, it prob weighed 8 pounds.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Even wool is more sophisticated these days with blends of different types.
You’ll probably still smell like a wet dog after the rain if you eliminate chemical treatments of the fibers.

But jeans and cotton thermals? No thanks. That stuff was dumb back then.

I once hauled a waxed cotton raincoat (Barbour) in a fall hike up Mt Humphrey’s in AZ. (AZ Snowbowl) Heavy as hell, it prob weighed 8 pounds.
Interestingly I own a few sets of retro clothing from the 70s 80s and 90s. I find my contemporary gear to be much more comfortable, and packed with features that we've grown accustomed to.
What I find interesting about the newer wool and corduroy garments is that they are much more flexible and waterproof than the vintage wool and corduroy.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry, but why would I want to? Why would I want to go back to the equivilent of beartrap bindings, screw in steel edges or even leather boots?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Gotta love these spitballing threads. Must be summer.
Rather than the usual BS. I'll post something real.

Here is Mamie's real life experience with a leather ski jacket with down insulation. Her warmest jacket. 10 years, 400/500 ski day. Still going strong. Many here have seen her with it.

Bogner Jana-D leather ski jacket.
1652912114640.jpeg

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier

Here is Mamie's real life experience with a leather ski jacket with down insulation. Her warmest jacket. 10 years, 400/500 ski day. Still going strong. Many here have seen her with it.

View attachment 169495
Does it come with a whip?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does it come with a whip?
No, but each jacket does coem with a unique safe work sewn into every breast pocket.

Bogner gets a wrath for their stying but I will say you will find very few bettter built products anywhere.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Could I do it, Yes, I started with old school ski clothes. Just a quick question do you consider nylon to be plastic because it has been around longer than you might think.

James

Out There
Instructor

View attachment 169495
Clear foot fault.
A) Lining is probably nylon or some “plastic” derivative
B) Surely the stitching is not natural fibers
C) Not vegan

On C), the committee would issue a waiver had the wearer either skinned or tanned the hide themselves. Since that is not the case, the committee must reject the application to apply the term “natural” to the garment.

However, the committee is perplexed by the term “pre-plastic”. Few have that special Hot Tub or DeLorean to return to such a time, making the phrase not applicable to the last 70 years. We suggest they apply for a Luddite exception.

Sponsor

Staff online