• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is it possible for modern skiers to go back to pre-plastic ski outerwear and how would you imagine your skiing day/season would look like if it did?

James

Out There
Instructor
BCAE7E80-E00A-4A9A-A45E-40F0A74E2D5D.jpeg

I thought it was a documentary.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Just had this thought with fluoro waxes which are arguably faster being banned for the sake of the environment.

What if this was done with ski clothing? What if goretex and all these poly based apparel and their forever chemical coatings were outright banned and we had to go back to natural fibres like wool gabardine, how would you imagine your skiing day/season would look like?

For background on pre-plastic apparel:

Are there other natural fibres and coatings that are good-enough candidates to replace poly apparel and forever chemicals?

An entire outfit of natural fibers would cost me many times what my current outfit cost me. It is really cost prohibitive.

James

Out There
Instructor
An entire outfit of natural fibers would cost me many times what my current outfit cost me. It is really cost prohibitive.
Not so sure about that with most jackets with a membrane being well north of $500

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Icebreaker is going plastic free by 2023. Which probably means phasing out merino-spun nylon core pieces (another example of "environmental vs durability/performance" as with fluoro-free). I know they're not an outer layer focused company, but it could be trend, or at least, exert some pressure with other apparel makers.

My understanding is they're against plastic because it gets washed into the ocean as microplastics during laundry which ends up in marine animals.

1653179839549.png

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
mid 1980s - CB Sports Corduroy Jacket and LLBean heavy duty logger wool pants
View attachment 169785

Back in the late 70's and early 80's Levi's brand came out with corduroy ski bibs, they were popular for a short while. If I remember correctly I owned a pair. They were not bad as long as you stayed on groomed slops and didn't fall a lot. Definitely not for powder days or beginning skiers.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled

Scottsdale_Ski

Putting on skis
Skier
Waxed or oiled canvas, wool, silk... it would be do-able if I had to. Companies like Filson still make oil finished canvas jackets & bibs, wool pants, etc. Alps & Meters has already been mentioned.

It might be interesting to suit up "old-school" now and then, just for the "cool factor".

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, if we're buying EV's to reduce dependence on fossil fuels, remember that the synthetic fibers and membranes found in contemporary outdoor clothing is made from the same fossil fuels. I'm thinking finding ways to develop textile materials without fossil fuels would be a worthy goal, especially if the materials can be composted somehow, once they have passed their useful garment life (but not a moment sooner).

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Well, if we're buying EV's to reduce dependence on fossil fuels, remember that the synthetic fibers and membranes found in contemporary outdoor clothing is made from the same fossil fuels. I'm thinking finding ways to develop textile materials without fossil fuels would be a worthy goal, especially if the materials can be composted somehow, once they have passed their useful garment life (but not a moment sooner).
It is the burning of fossil fuel that they are trying to stop. I didn't think that textiles and other uses of oil were being targeted as unfriendly to the planet.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January