• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is it possible to re-wax mid-day?

pushgears

Putting on skis
Skier
Is it possible and feasible to re-wax mid day? I’ve had some spring days where I had to bag it prematurely because my wax gave out and the skis started sticking excessively. Some fresh wax would have extended those days. Of course the skis would be wet and bases not as clean as a home-based session.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the resorts will usually set up the $5 or $10 quickwax stations in spring at the base.

Whether the buffwax helps or not, it will likely be better than anything from out of your pocket. (there are a lot of rubon or wipe on pocket solutions too)

The suction may be from lack of base structure though, rather than the specifics of running out of wax.

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
At the Big Sky Madison base they have a special where they will wax and sharpen your skis while you have lunch .... for $40. My solution has been liquid paraffin. I brush and wipe my bases to clean them off, spray on the wax and leave the skis out base up in the sun while I have lunch. Works well on a warm day, just make sure you bases are dry before spraying on the wax

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
On a sloppy spring day, simply RUBBING some warm temp wax on and just skiing it bumpy works fine, sometimes really well depending on the wax. Cold weather, gotta smooth it out and scrape it to get anywhere.. Warm weather bumpy structure often works to your benefit.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Wow, didn't know Zardoz notwax was still around. Even has a 100% fluoro topcoat in the package on Amazon. Really?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was at sugarbush a while back and was slipping badly. Went to the Mt shop at 11 the guy was prepping race skis and gave them the soup to nuts for $0

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A can of Toko spray wax when you come in for lunch. Dry the bases, spray it on, eat, come out and brush (or not), and ski.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, what is a good portable, spray-on wax for when it gets stupid warm? @ScotsSkier mentioned Beta 10 so I googled it and the results showed car and hair wax... Any recommendations from Toko, Swix or other non cosmetic brands? :cool:
Edit to add paste wax would be great too. As with most things, there are so many products out there and it gets confusing. That's why I rely on you kind folks for advice!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Is it possible and feasible to re-wax mid day? I’ve had some spring days where I had to bag it prematurely because my wax gave out and the skis started sticking excessively. Some fresh wax would have extended those days. Of course the skis would be wet and bases not as clean as a home-based session.

Yes, I will use this: (wipe dry bases, apply wax and nylon brush base)

tempImageP8kzVO.png

Sponsor

Staff online