• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is more than 100 gram weight diff on skis acceptable?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Think my 183cm CT 2.0, 183cm CT 1.0 and 184cm CT 3.0 were all within about 10 grams of each other and the longer CT 2.0 and CT 3.0 varied 30-50gr maybe. Found it interesting that every single Faction and my Wildcats all had the “right graphic” ski as the heavier one which works out perfectly as it’s my stronger leg.

Have had Enforcers and some Head skis 1-2gr apart but my current eTitans are around 40gr apart.

I’d be more concerned in how the Fisher 102FR skis have dropped about 100-200gr from every length from their 2019-21 builds to the 2022 versions. Wonder what they changed?
The new Ranger 102 are now just slightly less weight than the 2020 builds but heavier than the 22 builds. :huh:

Last edited:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I lucked out too with my CT 2.0 Right-graphic being the heavier one.
For the Ranger 102, the one without the Austrian flag on the tail portion is the heavier one, so that will be my Right ski.

Also measured a couple of NOS "ornamental" skis that reside in my home office:
2010 Scott Crusade 179cm - 2215 & 2235 ( 20g diff )
2014 SkiLogik Rave "Dark-Side" 174cm - 1829 & 1851 ( 20g diff )

James

Out There
Instructor
2010 Scott Crusade 179cm
Lol, I remember that ski. Had a weird boat hull shaped tip or tail or both. Very unusual. Pretty good looking with the pattern.
I called it “a lightweight boxer on crystal meth”, which not everyone was happy with.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Was curious about weights and calculated that 90mm x 180cm x 0.5mm thick layer of epoxy is ~90g. Interesting that the mfg are turning out skis 3 or 4 times more precise than this. So about .3 mil tolerance in adhesive thickness across the entire ski. Not to mention variance in wood density...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Interesting that the mfg are turning out skis 3 or 4 times more precise than this.

That tells us that the resins are squeezed down (and out) to pretty much barely-coating-the-substrate films, as a matter of course. And squeezed *out* of highly-absorptive media like fiberglass.

Not to mention variance in wood density...

Yep, this is where I think modern strip built cores are such an awesome invention.

I have in front of me 5 juggling pins, same size, all maple, all turned on the same lathe, all identically finished, with weight variances between 261g and 342g. Imagine a variance like that in modern ski cores :geek:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol, I remember that ski. Had a weird boat hull shaped tip or tail or both. Very unusual. Pretty good looking with the pattern.
I called it “a lightweight boxer on crystal meth”, which not everyone was happy with.

I got the Crusades from Noodler -> they look fantastic in person, and Yes boat-hull on tip and tail.
I believe he still has a pair in his fleet.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have always viewed the weight difference found between two skis in a pair as more of a concern from a quality control perspective and how that weight difference actual manifests itself in any difference in the performance between them. So I'm with @AlexisLD on his view of the situation.

100g difference is absolutely massive. 50g is ridiculous. I just looked through the data on all of my skis and I don't have anything with more than a 26g difference and most are within 10g of each other or less.

Sponsor

Staff online