• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is skiing a sport or recreation?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
One Friday night on I-95 heading up to VT. Moderate to heavy traffic. One guy keep cutting in and out of lanes. I said to my son. " Man, he is really moving, He passed us 5 times in the last 10 miles."
I'm absolutely sure I was that guy in my younger days. I even have the memory of the the conga line past my wrecked Impreza on the Killington access road after driving like an idiot and crashing into a Tacoma pulling out of the Killington Market to remind me of what a dumbass I was..

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm absolutely sure I was that guy in my younger days. I even have the memory of the the conga line past my wrecked Impreza on the Killington access road after driving like an idiot and crashing into a Tacoma pulling out of the Killington Market.

You and me both. :beercheer:
Yeah, younger days. I am not always this old. :ogbiggrin:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I hate to say it, as this is a ski forum so it sounds sacrilege. But compare to "opposition sport" (tennis, basket ball, soccer etc.), skiing is... boring by comparison!

To me, skiing has more to do with being one with the environment. So expert terrain isn't required. Death cookie is to be avoided as best as I can. I lump skiing with biking (ok, mountain biking) and kayaking (ok, sea kayaking & white water): being outdoors. The "challenge" is but one component of the outing, not the main focus.

In the scale of sport to recreation, I put skiing closer to the recreation end. Of course, that's just for me. Others may put it at a different spot.
You're doing it wrong :ogbiggrin:

Actually to each his own; it is what you make it.
Skiing is a real sport; you can die doing it.

It's a lot like motorcycling, mountain biking, or white-water canoeing.
Compare riding your Harley along at the speed limit on a beautiful country road, feeling the edge of traction pulling high g forces going way to fast on your sport bike are both are biking, both are different.
Enjoying a nice easy trail through the woods or tearing around banked corners at speeds that would surely do you an injury (or death) if you miscalculated and carried too much speed for the corner in question. Enjoying a week-long river trip with a few class I and Class II rapids vs shooting some insane nastyness.

TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Skiing is a real sport; you can die doing it.
Marathon running is a "real sport" but it's unlikely to die in it.

Driving like an idiot isn't a sport. But you may die from it.

Possibility to die has no correlation with sport.

Skiing can be taken as a sport, or recreation. Both have some element of danger. But taking on more risk doesn't make it more a sport.

A week of class I-II isn't dangerous, until a flood swells the river (or a strainer) turns that class II into class IV... well, at least you can't sue the strainer.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Marathon running is a "real sport" but it's unlikely to die in it.

Driving like an idiot isn't a sport. But you may die from it.

Possibility to die has no correlation with sport.

Skiing can be taken as a sport, or recreation. Both have some element of danger. But taking on more risk doesn't make it more a sport.

A week of class I-II isn't dangerous, until a flood swells the river (or a strainer) turns that class II into class IV... well, at least you can't sue the strainer.

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games" - Ernest Hemingway​

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
OK folks, lots of different conversations going on here.

I suggest we start a new thread "What is sport?" or "Is skiing a sport or recreation?" Then we could move some of these comments to that thread. I'm happy to start that thread if people think it's appropriate.

I say that becasue, in the end, a nine year old boy died here, and that carries a real moral weight. No matter what I think about the case, I'm ready to carve out a huge space of compassion and sympathy for his parents, and not judge them.

Can we leave this thread for discussion of the accident, the evolving legal case, and the possible consequnces?

I hope this doesn't sound too preachy and holier-than-thou.

All best,

Bruno

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK folks, lots of different conversations going on here.

I suggest we start a new thread "What is sport?" or "Is skiing a sport or recreation?" Then we could move some of these comments to that thread. I'm happy to start that thread if people think it's appropriate.

I say that becasue, in the end, a nine year old boy died here, and that carries a real moral weight. No matter what I think about the case, I'm ready to carve out a huge space of compassion and sympathy for his parents, and not judge them.

Can we leave this thread for discussion of the accident, the evolving legal case, and the possible consequnces?

I hope this doesn't sound too preachy and holier-than-thou.

All best,

Bruno
Good call. We do tend to get derailed rather easily around here but some threads are more serious than others. This is one of those. Thanks for the polite reminder.

TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I'm all for separating the discussion of "Is skiing sport or entertainment" from the discussion of the lawsuit. (although I suspect that side track had already ran its course and is winding down).

But this thread isn't so much about the 9 year old's death. It's about the lawsuit. The title makes it rather clear.

(Granted, there're many of us who didn't know about the accident and is reading about it the first time)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Boo. Not enough bragging in this edit about how anything that isn't 2 ft thick and clear to ground isn't ice like they just shrug at before shredding....

......yet.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the sport vs. Entertainment mostly a question of perspective? A basketball game from the stand point of a player, that's a sport. From the view point of a fan, it's entertainment.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Skiing is closer to sports with "transport as an equipment" like gokarting, car racing, surfing, skydiving, jetskiing, etc.

It's farther from the spectrum of sports that "toss a 'ball' around" like hockey, basketball, football, lacrosse, baseball, etc.

As you can see, the transport equipped sports carry more danger because of the speeds and acceleration that can be achieved.

The ball sports max out at human running speed.

More speed and acceleration is more dangerous but can be mitigated with better equipment, in addition to discipline.

Transport as an equipment also requires a higher level of equipment once a skill is unlocked.

For example, in car racing, once you unlock the skill of heel toe, you become faster to a degree and need a race car instead of a regular car. A race car is faster in a straight or drift better or whatever with your new found heel toe skill than a regular car.

In skiing, once you unlock carving or angulating properly in bumps or barreling down steeps, you become faster than skidders and need a more stable ski/steerable ski/tighter boots, etc and to tune your equipment to be able to control the speed or be more stable in bumps or controllable in steeps, etc.

From a recreation point of view, once a skill is unlocked with the transport driven sports, it's hard to dial it back. It's probably due to adrenaline production. Adrenaline is like a drug. When you reach a threshold in your system, it's hard to "entertain yourself" by dialling back the thing that gives you adrenaline.

With ball sports, the adrenaline production is not that pronounced, so there are days where you just take it easy playing basketball at the Y and you feel satisfied (because you got a good exercise, in your mind, even though you didn't score 30 points or sunk the game winning shot or whatever).

This is why I think there's no difference between week a year carvers, for example, and 100 days a year carvers. Every ski day, they strive for the same adrenaline threshold. They need that faster G turn or higher speed to get the adrenaline up. In doing so, the week a year carver must use the same high end ski equipment as a 100 days a year carver.

Same with a car racer who knows how to heel toe and all that racing shit. A car racer who only does track day once a month or even every few months can benefit from the same higher end race car than one who's doing track day every weekend.

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hate to say it, as this is a ski forum so it sounds sacrilege. But compare to "opposition sport" (tennis, basket ball, soccer etc.), skiing is... boring by comparison!

To me, skiing has more to do with being one with the environment. So expert terrain isn't required. Death cookie is to be avoided as best as I can. I lump skiing with biking (ok, mountain biking) and kayaking (ok, sea kayaking & white water): being outdoors. The "challenge" is but one component of the outing, not the main focus.

In the scale of sport to recreation, I put skiing closer to the recreation end. Of course, that's just for me. Others may put it at a different spot.
Do you mean boring to watch or boring to do?

I used to think that groomer skiing was boring. But I discovered that was not the case, rather it was my skiing that was boring. And with a different intent and technique there is endless fun in just groomer skiing.

Sponsor

Staff online