• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is skiing a sport or recreation?

TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
A darn healthy, wholesome addiction.

August, and I'm already looking forward to skiing, and from Ski Talk traffic levels, I'm clearly not the only one!
If I were not too busy boating, I would probably be looking forward to skiing in August too.

If skiing is a "wholesome addiction", then having TWO such wholesome addiction would be twice as good, right? :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If skiing is a "wholesome addiction", then having TWO such wholesome addiction would be twice as good, right? :)

Absolutely!

For me, it is mtb. In fact, I pedal a bike far more days per year than I ski.

DavidR

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It’s both. Skiing is a very physical sport, but it also gives you the chance to relax and enjoy the scenic view. So, while skiing is both a sport and a form of entertainment, it’s the recreational aspect which draws the most people to the sport.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
A never ending process?!

... hence, a fool's errand.:roflmao:

I get it though. Most people enjoy the gear chase. Honestly I don't much. ogsmile

TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
... hence, a fool's errand.:roflmao:

I get it though. Most people enjoy the gear chase. Honestly I don't much. ogsmile
For some it is the journey, for others, the destination. ;)
For me a necessary evil.

Don't care the process. Just relieved when it's done. Now I can "just ski"!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
A darn healthy, wholesome addiction.

August, and I'm already looking forward to skiing, and from Ski Talk traffic levels, I'm clearly not the only one!
I skied last night. Bought a pass for August. Beats the gym and the steady -6 C is a delight in a heatwave.

EasternSkiBum

Booting up
Skier
Skiing like many other outdoor activities can be either or both depending on the individual or situation. When I'm sailing.. I love the serenity of the quiet propulsion through the water... I can hear the water lapping the transom creating a gentle wake.. I can feel the direction of the wind as it provides the power to the boat and I can see fish jump and rays splash at the surface. But at other times I'm fiddling with sails trying to get the perfect balance between speed and course in order to beat the other boats.... or just sail in the most efficient way possible. I don't teach sailing.....

With skiing I have a line I like to use amongst other instructors.... Remember when we thought we were good at this (skiing)? If you don't get it I urge you to find your local snowsports school and give it a try for a season or more. Becoming a pro does have a way of changing ones perspective about that which we love so much. Not in a bad way... just different.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
God this "discussion" thread is totally daft (in hindsight) and I feel stupid for participating in it.

1660616011946.png

1660616039028.png

Last edited:

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
Curling is a sport. So is throwing darts while drinking beer with a BMI higher than a space shuttle goes after launch.

So skiing is a sport.

Sponsor

Staff online