• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is skiing a sport or recreation?

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hope risk mitigation doesn’t further degrade our sport.
Is skiing a sport or an entertainment?

For the sporting crowd, poor condition is a challenge which is an integral part of sport. I mean after all, if the outcome is always the same, it isn't a "sport".

But for the entertainment crowd, bad condition is not fun, not entertaining. It's a bad day even if nothing damaged. Anyone go to a theme park where the roller coaster on some days runs so fast everyone pukes? Or so slow on others days it's just a merry-go-around?

Clearly some fraction of the skiing public feels one way, some the other.

I used to play a few contact sports. There, minor injury happens all the time (bruises and scrapes). But once in a while, broken bones! We had this discussion each time the broken bone happened. Should we really play so aggressively that we break our opponents bones? The answer is always no. But even there, not everybody agrees. On the other hand, anyone who couldn't take the occasional bruises, they don't continue. That's sport!

Skiing need to find that balance too. Needless to say, doing so will turn away some participants at either end of that balance.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Back in the day, similar terrain had minimum ski length restrictions to vet out who was likely "gonna have a bad time". I started to post the typical snarly joke about how fat shaped skis are ruining everything.. But that minimum 185cm length requirement probably would have kept that 9 year old from accessing..

The longboards rule also helped ensure moguls were better, more evenly spaced WIN WIN!.

And yes, I get that a good rider on a pair of 160 cm FIS SL skis could totally shred that terrain. But snowboarders heel scaping and novices snowplowing the first 100 feet probably makes things worse. Just saying there may be some gear requirement rules to better prevent stuff like this... the beacon requirements for example..

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But for the entertainment crowd, bad condition is not fun, not entertaining. It's a bad day even if nothing damaged. Anyone go to a theme park where the roller coaster on some days runs so fast everyone pukes? Or so slow on others days it's just a merry-go-around?

Where is the real thrill in roller coasters when the probability of death and/or dismemberment is between zero and nil. :ogcool:

TS
C

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Roller coasters became boring about the same time I got my 750. Just say'n.
Skiing still isn't boring. Let's keep it that way.,
I hate to say it, as this is a ski forum so it sounds sacrilege. But compare to "opposition sport" (tennis, basket ball, soccer etc.), skiing is... boring by comparison!

To me, skiing has more to do with being one with the environment. So expert terrain isn't required. Death cookie is to be avoided as best as I can. I lump skiing with biking (ok, mountain biking) and kayaking (ok, sea kayaking & white water): being outdoors. The "challenge" is but one component of the outing, not the main focus.

In the scale of sport to recreation, I put skiing closer to the recreation end. Of course, that's just for me. Others may put it at a different spot.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Not sure I agree.

There's a whole hosts of "lots of gear, no idea" herd.

Not to mention all length requirement does is allowing overweight peeps! ogwink
^^^ Whole lot of ignorance going in here.

If they can handle longboards well it doesn't matter what they weigh.

Ask folks at places with lifts where beacons are required to load how it's working. I have.

TS
C

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whole lot of ignorance going in here.
If they can handle longboards well it doesn't matter what they weigh.
If they weight 200lbs, they'll be given long boards. Whether they can "handle" it or not, never mind handle it "well".

In the mean time, those weighing 100lb? They'll only be on "long boards" if they're ignorant enough to be on a hand-me-down of their 200lb boyfriend!

How's that for ignorance?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just because it's scary doesn't make it fun. (driving in the street of New York City comes to mind)

Unlike "opposition sport", there is no competition.
Not scary if one has the skillset and the ability to find the peace. The peace is from within. Not threats from without.

A moment of peace. W/B.
1659826707222.png

Driving in NYC. I like driving in NYC. My son called it "close quarter combat." As he said, "Dad does it well."
It's not about being aggressive. It's about being calm, smooth and knowing what you want to do. Low speed maneuvers and proper vehicle positioning. Not herky-jerky movements. Not stomping on the gas and brakes. The ability to read traffic is paramount. It's all about smoothness and patience.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Driving in NYC is easy - it’s a grid.
Boston - now that’s a double black

The difficulty is not in the street layout. The pain in driving around Boston is the clueless Massholes.
Their attitude is if I don't look at you, you do not exist. That works until the drivers side swipe each other. Seen it many times. :nono:
New Yorkers are much smarter than that.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Unlike "opposition sport", they is no competition.
Not scary if one has the skillset and the ability to find the peace. The peace is from within. Not threats from without.

A moment of peace. W/B.
View attachment 174789

Driving in NYC. I like driving in NYC. My son called it "close quarter combat." As he said, "Dad does it well."
It's not about being aggressive. It's about being calm, smooth and knowing what you want to do. Low speed maneuvers and proper vehicle positioning. Not herky-jerky movements. Not stomping on the gas and brakes. The ability to read traffic is paramount. It's all about smoothness and patience.
The horn. Don't forget the horn.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Reading traffic and navigating though it in the zone is not a lot different than finding your line in the bumps and killing it..

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm 100% with @KingGrump on this. There is a certain Zen driving in NYC. Driving a full sized truck does change the equation a bit in ones favor especially when dealing with drivers with TLC plates.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Reading traffic and navigating though it in the zone is not a lot different than finding your line in the bumps and killing it..

One Friday night on I-95 heading up to VT. Moderate to heavy traffic. One guy keep cutting in and out of lanes. I said to my son. " Man, he is really moving, He passed us 5 times in the last 10 miles."

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If they weight 200lbs, they'll be given long boards. Whether they can "handle" it or not, never mind handle it "well".

In the mean time, those weighing 100lb? They'll only be on "long boards" if they're ignorant enough to be on a hand-me-down of their 200lb boyfriend!

How's that for ignorance?
A+ Still clueless.. All other things equal heavy or light.. longer skis will be better than shorter skis for steep icy terrain (sans well tuned SL skis of course). Equipment vetting still helps

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I'm 100% with @KngGrump on this. There is a certain Zen driving in NYC. Driving a full sized truck does change the equation a bit in ones favor especially when dealing with drivers with TLC plates.
My name isn't on the side of that truck door. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Ogg

Sponsor

Staff online