• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is the Enforcer the Bonafide of 2015/16?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It sure has the momentum the Bonafide had. Nordica is sold out at the wholesale level (just as Blizzard was that first year) and the demand is on par with what we saw with the Bonafide. The comparisons come up and Tec/Bliz and Nordica both being part of the Tecnica group makes a very good sibling rivalry. Hmmm. there is a thread idea...sibling rivalry. When I get time.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
It sure has the momentum the Bonafide had. Nordica is sold out at the wholesale level (just as Blizzard was that first year) and the demand is on par with what we saw with the Bonafide. The comparisons come up and Tec/Bliz and Nordica both being part of the Tecnica group makes a very good sibling rivalry. Hmmm. there is a thread idea...sibling rivalry. When I get time.

traditional midfat day. You've got chopped soft snow and maybe 3-5 of new. Pal'ing around with friends and co-workers on the hill. A mix of on trail/off trail/cruising around the mountain--just going skiing.

You can grab:

Tried and true bonafides.
Steezy Enforcers.
Racey Stockli Stormrider 95's

What do you reach for?

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Kastle FX95 HP. If I owned some.

The Bonafides have been under my feet more than any other skis in the last 4 years. That won't change anytime soon with the 2016 Bones in my garage. That said, every time I've been in the new Enforcers I walk away grinning and giddy. Both skis exude quality and I think it comes down to personal preference and style.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I have to go with the option:
The ones you have actually tested.
And out of the three I have skied the
Bones only.
So Bones it shall be.
Not that I am dissing the Enforcer.
People here is raving about them as well.
But I haven't (yet) tried them, so of it is a matter of "hit or miss"...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As a marketing thing, I think it may be, but I see a reason to have both the SantaAna and Samba in my quiver.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the shop managers in town says the early demand for enforcers has come from shop employees.

Jed poses a great question. Bones, Enforcers or Stormriders? Maybe where and in which situations..

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another ski that blew my skirt up was the Blizzard Latigo. I can't really say it exceeded my expectations because I didn't have any. After the first couple turns I had a special feeling. After taking her into the bumps, that feeling moved to below my waist.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Bones, Enforcers or Stormriders? Maybe where and in which situations..

Could be a length/venue thing. Like the Brahma, speaking only for myself, the 180 Bonafide is a bit short, the 187 a bit clunky long (though it rips nice big turns), and the 185 Enforcer, 184 Monster 98, and 184 MX 98, 182 E100 are just right. Haven't skied the SR 95. I'm guessing like the 88 is to the MX 88, the 95 is to the MX 98... a bit kinder, gentler, not 'less', and more versatile for more people, non?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Good stuff. My only complaint about the MX88 really is the tail for bumps. Its also a tad lacking in the "pop" fun department.

Exactly!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Enforcer is a playful and more versatile Bonafide. If you are a charger, the Bonafide is really tough to beat.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
traditional midfat day. You've got chopped soft snow and maybe 3-5 of new. Pal'ing around with friends and co-workers on the hill. A mix of on trail/off trail/cruising around the mountain--just going skiing.

You can grab:

Tried and true bonafides.
Steezy Enforcers.
Racey Stockli Stormrider 95's

What do you reach for?

Motiv 95 (If I had a pair) since I don't Firearrow 84 EDT

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
The Enforcer is a playful and more versatile Bonafide. If you are a charger, the Bonafide is really tough to beat.

Not a "charger" but I found the bonafide isn't powerful/snappy enough. Fun, serviceable, but lacking.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
Serious question: what does powerful/snappy mean to you, and what ski have you felt that in?

Fair questions.

Snappy/powerful means pop out of a turn. The ability for the ski to "snap" back underneath you with foot pressure properly placed, not just "move" back underneath you in that crossover moment. The ability for a ski to push and hold an edge at a high rate of speed at both the beginning and END of the turn, not "push" out from those moments. The ski has life, personality, and focus. The skier must have those as well.

For midfats (and i've only skied 5 of them in the category) I would say the stockli stormrider 95, which is my personal ski. I understand that Kastles are like this as well.

Powder skis my Stockli 115 is like this. Other pow skis are easy/float...but they simply don't provide the FEEDBACK that I like from a ski. I want an active ski, one that's working with me. I like the ski to help/assist--not merely "be there" as many skis nowadays are.

I just got a groomer ski, the Fire Arrow 76. It's mounted on a GS race plate. I've been told that it will perform like this as well.

NOTE: Ski setup has a lot to do with this as well. How well a ski is tuned, if there is a plate mounted on the ski, etc.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While I agree the Bonafide isn't the snappiest across the hill, there is no denying that it is one of the strongest skis in the class.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
While I agree the Bonafide isn't the snappiest across the hill, there is no denying that it is one of the strongest skis in the class.

I would fully agree with this assertion, and also add the fact that this "snappiness" requires a certain kind of driver.

All too often we get caught up in the "ski model" as generic, and we don't look at who the test pilot is, from a technique perspective, size perspective, etc.

My cousin for example is a WAY better skier than I--there was a time when we were younger that he really was "the best skier on the mountain" at pretty much any resort we went to. He LOVES the Rossi Soul 7. I can't stand it and basically fold it over. I've got 50 pounds on him, though--and he's way quicker and "lighter" on his edges.

The ability to differentiate these characteristics is what makes a ski reviewer worth their salt--and why people like @Philpug are so valuable to communities such as this.

Downtown

Putting on skis
Skier
Kastle FX95 HP. If I owned some.

The Bonafides have been under my feet more than any other skis in the last 4 years. That won't change anytime soon with the 2016 Bones in my garage. That said, every time I've been in the new Enforcers I walk away grinning and giddy. Both skis exude quality and I think it comes down to personal preference and style.

Kevin,

After going back and forth...I think I'm going w/ the Bonafide...I was gonna wait until I could demo the new 15/16 version though.

How do you compare the new Bones w/ the Carbon Fiber tips (15/16 model), w/ the last (14/15) models? I'm asking because I didn't notice anything I didn't like about the 14/15's I demo'd at snowbird end of season...but have heard the Carbon does make it better. Does it remove any of the character of the original ski? I mean, it is almost twice the cost now.

Any input would be great! Also what binding do you recommend for it...and normal placement...assuming yes. I'm 6' and about 170, so I was going to go w/ the 180cm. Is there a dedicated Right/left on these per the graphics...may be a stupid question, but wasn't sure.

Finally...the grainy photo...from my son's iphone last April at Snowbird...Lower Cirque, right above Andersons in about 8" of snow. Looking forward to some greater photos this season!

Attachments

• IMG_1516-001.jpg
    IMG_1516-001.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 45

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Kevin,

Any input would be great! Also what binding do you recommend for it...and normal placement...assuming yes. I'm 6' and about 170, so I was going to go w/ the 180cm. Is there a dedicated Right/left on these per the graphics...may be a stupid question, but wasn't sure.

Yes, mildly, there's a graphic left and right. Dedicated? That's up to you. FWIW, I have a pair of Bodacious's that have a much stronger L/R graphic. I don't worry much about if it's on my feet 'correctly' or not.

Binding. Your choice. Attack 13, Griffon, Pivot 12 or 14, WTR 13, etc...

Last edited:

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The difference in feel between the old Bone and new is minimal. The carbon tips do seem to smooth the ride some and also make turn initiation a tad easier. That said, I don't think you'd notice enough difference to pay the premium for a '16 versus last year's model. The '16 graphic does have a right/left ski motif, but I don't worry too much if the skis are on the proper feet. I have FKS/Look Pivot 14 on the old set and Salomon STH 13 on the new. Any quality binding will do the job nowadays.

Sponsor