• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is there an association b/w location of dull edge and skiing technique?

skipotato

Booting up
Skier
I went on my first skiing trip of the season this past weekend with my un-tuned slalom skis (I know, I know... But I didn't get the chance to hit the shop beforehand) and noticed that my edges could not hold through the turn. To be more exact, I could feel the edges disengaging/skis slipping just after the apex of the turn. I took my skis to the tune shop to see what's up and found out that although the edges were sharp at the top, they were horridly dull at the bottom half of the skis.

Which brings me to ask, is it normal for skis to have dull edges at the bottom if I'm mostly doing (good) curved turns, or is it a symptom of poor technique?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean it's hard to say conclusively that you made the edges dull through technique. However, if we accept that this is what caused it then I would say you're sliding the tail more a'la the Austrian old way. Typically you want even pressure along the edge most of the time.

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
Typically I find my edges worse underfoot and toward the tail I think because the binding is closer to the tail of the ski and gets more load. The tip shovel area may have less work to do. Again though, this could be from rocks etc not just pure skiing in good snow.

TS
S

skipotato

Booting up
Skier
I mean it's hard to say conclusively that you made the edges dull through technique. However, if we accept that this is what caused it then I would say you're sliding the tail more a'la the Austrian old way. Typically you want even pressure along the edge most of the time.
That makes sense. I tend to generously throw in some good ol' fashioned skidded short turns into the mix so your suspicions seem pretty spot on.

TS
S

skipotato

Booting up
Skier
Are you refering to the front/tip and back/tail of the ski? If not, I'm confused by "top and bottom half".
Sorry for not using the industry jargon, but I think you knew that I meant the back/tail of the skis.

scott43

Skier
That makes sense. I tend to generously throw in some good ol' fashioned skidded short turns into the mix so your suspicions seem pretty spot on.
I often think about my skiing while tuning. The damage and dullness often seem to be more than just ice and snow would cause. I wonder how much of it is caused by things like lift gear, dirt or rocks embedded in the snow, especially around the entry/exit areas, running over other skis. I can skate on ice skates for hours without significant edge destruction. I wonder if there are metrics out there associating edge degradation and ice and snow.

James

Out There
Instructor
Could start from chair lift metal foot supports. Always make sure the rubber is there, and don’t slide against the vertical support. No rubber, hook the back binding if that works, or don’t use it.

TS
S

skipotato

Booting up
Skier
I often think about my skiing while tuning. The damage and dullness often seem to be more than just ice and snow would cause. I wonder how much of it is caused by things like lift gear, dirt or rocks embedded in the snow, especially around the entry/exit areas, running over other skis. I can skate on ice skates for hours without significant edge destruction. I wonder if there are metrics out there associating edge degradation and ice and snow.
I would assume variables like lift gear, dirt/rocks, etc. would result in a more uniform damage than a focused deterioration (e.g., tail edges).
Could start from chair lift metal foot supports. Always make sure the rubber is there, and don’t slide against the vertical support. No rubber, hook the back binding if that works, or don’t use it.
My local resort is so ghetto we don't have no fancy foot supports. :(
I must add a postscript clarifying that my carving technique is not the best and that the dulled edges may be more likely due to poor carving technique than the skidded short turns.

scott43

Skier
Sounds like you don’t use the front of the ski.
That's what I was thinking I just don't know that it's true. I see significantly more wear and tear directly under foot. Then behind the binding and in front of the binding is typically not bad. I don't know if this is typical for generally very good skiers as well or more just hacks like me. The underfoot makes sense to me. After that I'm not sure. It may be partially the design.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That's what I was thinking I just don't know that it's true.

We also don't know that it's not. Also notice that they're slalom skis - which, if the tips are properly pressured, need skidding to make large, high speed turns, not short quick ones.

Front/back alignment check and tip and tail pressure control review seem perfectly reasonable things for OP to ask for at next ski lesson, if they have a mind to.

I see significantly more wear and tear directly under foot. Then behind the binding and in front of the binding is typically not bad. I don't know if this is typical for generally very good skiers as well or more just hacks like me. The underfoot makes sense to me. After that I'm not sure. It may be partially the design.

Skiing relatively soft skis for one's weight does this too... don't ask me how I know :(...but it isn't really what OP has, at least by my reading.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wear on the edges towards the tails usually means you are heavy on the bottom of the turn passed the apex. Or windshield wiping.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For a recently tuned ski it’s easier to tell where the wax has worn more quickly. My wife has some bad ski habits and wears the wax on the tails.

Sponsor

Staff online