• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is there any value in doing exercises that simulate ski movements in a non-ski setting?

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
Apropos to the thread title is this video done by Deb Armstrong with coach John Leffler.
It's all about building proprioception.

"You can effectively train for skiing off snow"
This is cool, but pretty advanced I suspect (I could pump up my exercise ball that much, but just balance board or bosu probably good transition). A neat takeaway that "if a joint goes to full flexion or extension, it shuts down [from a proprioception perspective]".

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Might be here already. tl/dr

Mikaela's routine shown is very general in nature. She is a beast, a fire breather! Her pull-ups are fantastic and have only a slight kip... kip none the less. Check the size of her quads. Up hill stair with three steps at a time. Add in bike, sprints - nice. Squat cleans with form and heavy weight. Yet specificity too. Depending upon how it's put together, this is good stuff. It is very crossfit type training.

There is core work in the carry-over from what she is doing with specific exercises but I bet there is more front and back core work not shown.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here's another video featuring gym exercises that mimic skiing dynamics. It is presented by Deb Armstrong and narrated by coach John Leffler. This video's exercise regimen is not so intimidating as the other one I posted upthread featuring balancing maneuvers on the Swiss ball.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mikaela's routine shown is very general in nature. She is a beast, a fire breather! Her pull-ups are fantastic and have only a slight kip... kip none the less. Check the size of her quads. Up hill stair with three steps at a time. Add in bike, sprints - nice. Squat cleans with form and heavy weight. Yet specificity too. Depending upon how it's put together, this is good stuff. It is very crossfit type training.

There is core work in the carry-over from what she is doing with specific exercises but I bet there is more front and back core work not shown.

That looks like 160 kg she is squatting. Impressive.

Yepow

Skier
That looks like 160 kg she is squatting. Impressive.
I wonder why they have her squatting to incomplete depth--must be something ski specific?

Yepow

Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Right?! Keep your head stationary!

My gym chain has several reACT machines
https://reacttrainer.com/physical-therapy-rehabilitation/ and there's *maybe* 10 of us who do actually do the keep-head-level task outside of trainer-managed sessions.

Those machines (the working ones that is, they are horribly prone to breakage) are only like a third of ^that range of extension, and fixed to do 60-100 rpm cadence with only nominal adaptation to the athlete.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I would rather see 20 clean pullups. I decided a few years ago that a 40 year old shouldn’t do 25 pull-ups a day but am itching to get back to it.
The balancing exercises are cool and can be done anywhere anytime.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
so are there any basic excercises I could be doing at home with no special gear?

I'm a runner (approx 35-40km per week) so general fitness and endurance is typically not the problem, but I sort of lack just 'power' I guess (I'm fairly skinny)
been doing some pilates (including basic lunges and squats) to strengthen the core but wondering if there are simple excercises I could be doing at home (where I don't have any equipment).

Most video's show excercises in gym settings where you need some equipment or at least room to practice it.

Finally got myself some skis so want to sort of make sure I can manage them when I'm barreling down some random slope.

thanks

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
so are there any basic excercises I could be doing at home with no special gear?

I'm a runner (approx 35-40km per week) so general fitness and endurance is typically not the problem, but I sort of lack just 'power' I guess (I'm fairly skinny)
been doing some pilates (including basic lunges and squats) to strengthen the core but wondering if there are simple excercises I could be doing at home (where I don't have any equipment).

Most video's show excercises in gym settings where you need some equipment or at least room to practice it.

Finally got myself some skis so want to sort of make sure I can manage them when I'm barreling down some random slope.

thanks
Jump squats, jump lunges, walking lunges and Bulgarian squats. Put any sort of weight in one of your hands to challenge your stabilizer muscles during the exercise such as a weight plate, kettle bell, bowling ball, ski boot, wife's purse, ect.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
There are plenty of exercises you can do with minimal equipment like balance balls and light weights. The most "ski specific" thing you can do is work on a healthy back.

dm

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

thanks
If you want more power in your legs, leg blasters. These are great for ski conditioning. They are extremely challenging... recommend starting with minis.

If you can do six sets of mini blasters and not hobble around the week following, you will be in good (downhill) ski shape.

To do these properly you need full range of motion (ROM) for squats. This is not guaranteed if all you do is run a lot. I know some runners that have really poor flexibility/ROM. So work up to do doing proper lunge/squats if you aren't there yet before doing leg blaster circuits.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jump squats, jump lunges, walking lunges and Bulgarian squats. Put any sort of weight in one of your hands to challenge your stabilizer muscles during the exercise such as a weight plate, kettle bell, bowling ball, ski boot, wife's purse, ect.
As someone who's done a lot of conditioning, both ski and general, going back a lot of years, I stumbled onto something that's prepared me for skiing better than anything else I've done.

As part of a rehab program where I was unable to do weights or similar, I did a mile or two of walking lunges every day for about 6 weeks. First time ever it felt like mid-season at the start, body wise.

Before I was shut down, I had done a bunch of weighted exercises, core, ie squats, leg dips, etc, and was in good shape. Then a 3 month layoff with the walking lunges beginning about halfway through that.

This year I’m doing 4.5 miles of walking lunges about twice a week, Stairmaster 4 times/week, core four times/week and weights twice a week.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online