• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is there any value in doing exercises that simulate ski movements in a non-ski setting?

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
If you want more power in your legs, leg blasters. These are great for ski conditioning. They are extremely challenging... recommend starting with minis.

If you can do six sets of mini blasters and not hobble around the week following, you will be in good (downhill) ski shape.

To do these properly you need full range of motion (ROM) for squats. This is not guaranteed if all you do is run a lot. I know some runners that have really poor flexibility/ROM. So work up to do doing proper lunge/squats if you aren't there yet before doing leg blaster circuits.
When I was just getting into skiing about 6 years ago, I started adding the leg blasters in. I was an active walker but didn't do any plyo. Yes, at that time, they made me extremely sore. I would not overdo these, follow the progression if you're going to do them.

I would say the next step, when you're (edit: fundad, not Seldomski) ready, is to trade in the leg blasters (QUADS QUADS QUADS ECCENTRIC QUADS) for a general strengthening program for your whole body 3-4 times a week with weights. Skiing isn't just quads, and hammering only one body part just leads to imbalances and weakness of the antagonistic muscle groups. Your core gets used a ton in skiing and it's not too soon to start working on it.

I've been doing strength training 4 times a week for 5-6 years now (which changes and gets more and less ski specific based on time of year). I get my programming done by a trainer I trust a few times a year, and as I've learned more over the last half decade, I am influencing the direction my plans go more and more. I won't give specific recommendations because I am not an expert here, but the sooner you get from "I'll spend 10 minutes on this quadblaster a couple of times a week" to "assuming I am physician approved, I will start resistance training at an appropriate level, properly guided by good expertise" I think the better it will be for your long term skiing, overall physical health, and injury-prevention.

/notadoctor
/notatrainer
/thisisnotprofessionaladvice

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would say the next step, when you're (edit: fundad, not Seldomski) ready, is to trade in the leg blasters (QUADS QUADS QUADS ECCENTRIC QUADS) for a general strengthening program for your whole body 3-4 times a week with weights. Skiing isn't just quads, and hammering only one body part just leads to imbalances and weakness of the antagonistic muscle groups. Your core gets used a ton in skiing and it's not too soon to start working on it.

Quads is only one facet of fitness required for skiing. To be a versatile skier, a bit more focus on the posterior chain.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Asian toilets are more effective.

1666719934190.png

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Moseley video is fun to watch but I wonder how often he really does that.

on long hikes I like to jog down the hill and pretend I am skiing.
When I was a kid, 15-16 years old ,we used to run /race downhill through the woods with poles through trees, jumping off rocks , picking lines , etc. It was great fun but I don’t know if it was training - we could probably do this because we skied like maniacs -I don’t think it substantively improved our skiing.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Quads is only one facet of fitness required for skiing. To be a versatile skier, a bit more focus on the posterior chain.
Do you have any suggestions for posterior chain exercises that don't require weights? I am not sure what these are.

Edit - few guesses: pushups, banded good mornings (not sure that really counts since it requires equipment), burpees.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you have any suggestions for posterior chain exercises that don't require weights? I am not sure what these are.

Edit - few guesses: pushups, banded good mornings (not sure that really counts since it requires equipment), burpees.

You can google posterior chain exercise and pick which ever float your boat. No good, no bad, just do something.

Pre-covid I will usually do 9 hours at the gym. What I find is a few good day of physical work beats that by a mile.
Along the sentiment of this meme.

1666731266930.png

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can google posterior chain exercise and pick which ever float your boat. No good, no bad, just do something.

Pre-covid I will usually do 9 hours at the gym. What I find is a few good day of physical work beats that by a mile.
Along the sentiment of this meme.

View attachment 181366

Anyone mentioned core training? Hugely important to start the season with minimal sprinter's muscle. For the uninitiated in the Velominati lingo wondering what this muscle may be, I am quoting:

The monolithic protuberance rising above one’s waist and below one’s rib cage which is a source of explosive power.

Minimal amount of this at the start of the ski season is very good thing. Helps a lot with ass dragging.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm re-learning Chen Taiji Quan, and at my current age finding it to be excellent for balance, range of motion and strength. I'm appreciating it more than when I first learned 20-25 years ago.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Pre-covid I will usually do 9 hours at the gym

Hmmm... is that 9 hours per day? Or 9 hours for the entire pre-prep season? Or a typo for 0 hours? :huh:

9/day should be about right - for some-one planning to be the body double for Channing Tatum in the next Magic Mike.

9 for the entire pre-season?? - I dunno, seems a bit underdone.

There's a few issues with physical work to get fit:
  • Need a project or activity that needs doing. Not always available. And not all of us have the prerequisite skills. (Yeah, I know - there's a youtube for everything... :rolleyes:)
  • Doesn't always work the right parts the right amount. Plenty of tradies out there with a significant ab - a single one, out front.
  • Some days just gotta rest. That's tough when the forecast is for a week's rain - the outdoor stairs won't build themselves. Or the real boss just wants the job finished.

Does it really matter if the activity is work related or gym or whatever the heck we use at home?

(Add a step ladder to the workout routine? Yeah, nah.)

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
is that 9 hours per day?

About 9 hours per week.
I am a short fat old guy. Don't really ski that hard. I got gravity. If they ever turn off the gravity, I am in deep s**t.

I have lots of friends and family that can use a hand. They love it when the skilled labor is free.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Squats, split squats, glute bridges are examples. What gets worked can be varied by stance. For example with a single leg glute bridge bringing the foot closer to the posterior, raising the toes and applying load through the heel works the glute much more than the quads. Moving the foot further away applies more load to the quads. (That one straight from my physio.)

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Doesn't always work the right parts the right amount. Plenty of tradies out there with a significant ab - a single one, out front.

That gut is not from what they do. Rather it's from what and/or how much they eat.

If you consume more than you burn, fat happens.
Just remember you are the guardian of your own pie hole. Ain't nobody sticking food in there while you are not looking.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
As someone who's done a lot of conditioning, both ski and general, going back a lot of years, I stumbled onto something that's prepared me for skiing better than anything else I've done.

As part of a rehab program where I was unable to do weights or similar, I did a mile or two of walking lunges every day for about 6 weeks. First time ever it felt like mid-season at the start, body wise.

Before I was shut down, I had done a bunch of weighted exercises, core, ie squats, leg dips, etc, and was in good shape. Then a 3 month layoff with the walking lunges beginning about halfway through that.

This year I’m doing 4.5 miles of walking lunges about twice a week, Stairmaster 4 times/week, core four times/week and weights twice a week.

4 miles of walking lunges, sounds fun. I am going to start working towards this!

Sponsor