• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is there any value in doing exercises that simulate ski movements in a non-ski setting?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
4 miles of walking lunges, sounds fun. I am going to start working towards this!
Some things I focus on when I do them:

- making sure the hamstrings and glutes are working hard. For me it’s a posterior chain workout.

- reduce, even eliminate upper body contribution which works core and is practice for actual skiing. I do it by placing hands on upper thighs or elbows locked to the side. You can turn trunk from side to side to reinforce separation.

- I don’t and probably couldn’t do the whole 4+ miles doing walking lunges and the above. I have a lot of hills here so I tend to do regular fast walking on the flat portions and lunges on the uphill and downhill stretches.

I do other things like leg presses, core etc. but I think the walking lunges make the greatest contribution.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
That gut is not from what they do. Rather it's from what and/or how much they eat.

If you consume more than you burn, fat happens.
Just remember you are the guardian of your own pie hole. Ain't nobody sticking food in there while you are not looking.

The workout from physical work is unstructured and just as likely to overwork something as underwork it. If the project is at ground level there's no step ladder involved to aid balance and work core. OTOH couple of weeks back rebuilt and extended some outdoor stairs in our yard - the digging and the lugging of treated pine logs was fine but the driving in of several dozen long steel spikes with a 4lb hammer was way over the top.

Yeah, the input vs output thing not one of my problems. Think we are roughly the same age :beercheer: but opposite in build description.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don’t and probably couldn’t do the whole 4+ miles doing walking lunges

Glad you posted that.

Let's see... say 6 feet per lunge, 5280 feet to the mile - that's 880 lunges. So 4 miles worth would be around 3520 lunges....

:facepalm:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad you posted that.

Let's see... say 6 feet per lunge, 5280 feet to the mile - that's 880 lunges. So 4 miles worth would be around 3520 lunges....

Right? They’re also walking lunges where the front foot is more centered under the torso at max load with the knee moving forward. I think anybody trying them would naturally gravitate towards that.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some things I focus on when I do them:

- making sure the hamstrings and glutes are working hard. For me it’s a posterior chain workout.

- reduce, even eliminate upper body contribution which works core and is practice for actual skiing. I do it by placing hands on upper thighs or elbows locked to the side. You can turn trunk from side to side to reinforce separation.

- I don’t and probably couldn’t do the whole 4+ miles doing walking lunges and the above. I have a lot of hills here so I tend to do regular fast walking on the flat portions and lunges on the uphill and downhill stretches.

I do other things like leg presses, core etc. but I think the walking lunges make the greatest contribution.
Hard to believe the lunges will be more effective than leg presses.

You can probably do lots of lunges which means they are not taxing your legs as much as leg presses where, with a heavy enough weight you can only do 8 reps

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hard to believe the lunges will be more effective than leg presses.

You can probably do lots of lunges which means they are not taxing your legs as much as leg presses where, with a heavy enough weight you can only do 8 reps
Well a couple of things… as I’d mentioned, my experience with the lunges last year came three months after I had been working leg presses hard. So I would imagine some of that prior conditioning was still beneficial. But the other thing is done properly, the lunges are more functional to skiing.

Fact is, last year was the first time I had no early-season soreness or need for on slope conditioning. And I’ve been doing leg presses routinely for years.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
About 9 hours per week.
I am a short fat old guy. Don't really ski that hard. I got gravity. If they ever turn off the gravity, I am in deep s**t.

I have lots of friends and family that can use a hand. They love it when the skilled labor is free.

You keep saying you’re fat. If that’s true then I’m Jabba the Hutt

Hint: you’re not fat! ogsmile

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Glad you posted that.

I've always heard that overtraining like that will cause loss of muscle mass.
@Lorenzzo, did you take special precautions to avoid losing muscle?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always heard that overtraining like that will cause loss of muscle mass.
@Lorenzzo, did you take special precautions to avoid losing muscle?
I have overtrained at times. It's kind of my nature. The precautions I take is to force rest days on myself based on soreness and fatigue and to focus on post-workout recovery. I use the old fashioned gauge of strength and endurance. If they're maintaining or increasing then muscle mass ought to be as well. I also belong to MFP and have friends with similar goals, etc. We post our workouts and keep an eye on each other.

Might be fun to have a post your workout thread here. For those with an exercise watch and/or app it's pretty easy. And I should also mention...the walking lunges are a hybrid between normal walking and a gym lunge. It's about having your strides activating your posterior chain with more of a dip than a normal walking gait.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Today’s walk with walking lunges:

914B0127-AE90-43A0-906C-8DFE5E695DAE.jpeg

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
^ that which River says & that which River does is 2 different animals- trust me, he’s straining. That clip only proves he’s trying to impress a woman.

As for a low transition, in the air or on the snow- it’s very taxing on the quads in a manner that demands above 110 degrees of knee flexion. This is a zone nearly no one obtains in day to day. Now add speed, g forces & cognitive demands & its challenging even for a recreational skier. There is always effort. If not, you’d be challenging River for a spot in a Lycra suit.

There are plenty of individuals skiing at higher levels in their 6-8th decades. Come to Stratton & see 70 formal Masters every weekend plus hundreds of mature skiers.

View attachment 168502
View attachment 168506
View attachment 168503
View attachment 168507
View attachment 168504

Now, I’ve posted up plenty of my pics & concepts advocating an answer for the OP’s question; let’s see your or DM’s strain free, low intensity product in action.
What many dont or wont realize

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hah.

I'm sure it has to do with periodization design and is probably highly individual in scale.

For example, if I want to have good legs for a long strenuous ride on Sunday, I head out for a single-speed low cadence grunt day on Thurs. eve or Fri. am. And it has to be a grunt muscle-up day, not a spin day. For whatever reason, on Sunday it reduces the evident fatigue from Fri eve or Saturday. Same thing with swims - an Indian club session Sun eve or Mon makes a noticeable, positive, difference in swim feel on Weds.

I'm sure there's a dozen ways to make "you're compensating intensity for ___ on the intermediate day" arguments but the pattern is there whether or not I actually miss intermediate day.

I'm sure I'm not making any body changes whatsoever on so small a time scale. But it's there and it's weird. I think it might be sort of related to something @Tony S was talking about in a different conditioning thread - how the first long ride / century of the summer tends to turn a corner and make everything just that little bit easier in the weeks just after it. Mental? maybe.

I have yet to figure out how to game it for downhill skiing, tho.
The essence of athletic performance training -

'Sufficient stress followed by adequate rest..... in repeated appropriate cycles..... micro & macro'
or something like that

- Dr Doug Clement MD, Cdn T&F olympian & sport med pioneer/guru

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
- Dr Doug Clement MD, Cdn T&F olympian & sport med pioneer/guru

^ Does he talk about the whole neuro activation thing that @Brian Finch does above?

I still think that's probably the mechanism for quick payoffs on the scale of do something Weds eve -> notice benefit Fri am (as opposed to 5, 12, 15 weeks later) and I am obviously a bit curious about it.

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
^ Does he talk about the whole neuro activation thing that @Brian Finch does above?

I still think that's probably the mechanism for quick payoffs on the scale of do something Weds eve -> notice benefit Fri am (as opposed to 5, 12, 15 weeks later) and I am obviously a bit curious about it.
No what you are talking about is something new.

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone know what kind of strap Kilde is using here in this exercise? It almost looks like a towing strap with safety hooks.

Any thoughts on what the strap is connected to on the other end? The original video is below and the exercise starts at 0:23.
1690860857901.png

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Does anyone know what kind of strap Kilde is using here in this exercise? It almost looks like a towing strap with safety hooks.

Any thoughts on what the strap is connected to on the other end?
It's a resistance coil flywheel from Domestec :)

You can use of mega band as well; I'm also playing w/ the new https://kayezen.com/ product.

^Full disclosure, this was provided presented to myself as a professional curtesy.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Any thoughts on what the strap is connected to on the other end? The original video is below and the exercise starts at 0:23.
View attachment 208407

MS :)

Sponsor

Staff online