• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ISO Chill Touring Partner/Backcountry Mentor in Northern Vermont

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if this is too hopeful but I'm putting it out there....

I'm looking for someone to tour with on weekends in Northern VT this upcoming season and who wouldn't mind showing me around mellow backcountry zones in north-central to northern Vermont.

I have a few friends who like to tour and skin but none of us are particularly knowledgeable about getting into the backcountry; or they have kids and prioritize spending time with their children on weekends. My husband thinks the idea of skiing uphill is torture and not interested. During the first COVID winter I splitboarded up Bolton pretty much weekly or twice weekly and typically did an un-hurried 1000 feet in an hour. At this point I'm not sure about my touring fitness but I am getting back into jogging a couple miles a week. I plan to switch over to cross country skiing once there's snow on the ground. Downhill ability wise, I comfortably snowboard on variable black diamond resort runs and will do double-blacks when conditions are soft; on skis, I'm very comfortable on intermediate runs and do OK (not amazing) on black diamond runs. Gear-wise, I have a splitboard and skis with tech bindings. I literally learned to ski so I could have a better time getting past flats in the backcountry. Resort-wise, I'm skiing at MRG and Sugarbush again this year; I may spend some time at Bolton Valley volunteering for Vermont Adaptive.

In terms of touring areas, I'm really close to Camels Hump but have no clue about the zones that are on the mountain. I do plan to buy a season pass at Camels Hump Nordic Ski Area. I'm about an hour from the Stowe side of Mansfield and 45 minutes or so from Underhill/Butler Lodge trail. I'm also close to App Gap and within eyeshot of Mad River Glen. I'm not opposed to going to Brandon Gap, about an hour away from me, or up to Jay, which is more like an hour and 45 minutes away.

In exchange for your delightful company, patience and guidance in the backcountry, I offer PARTY PUG energy (have actual clothing that attests to this), crash space in an actual bedroom if you don't have a place to stay in Vermont, post-touring hot tub time overlooking the incredible view at my house, ample opportunities to pet at least three lovable and energetic dogs as well as the friendliest, cutest cat ever, and the best-stocked beer and hard cider fridge in a 25 mile radius.

Sorry for the novel-length post. Hope someone will take me up on this!! Fingers crossed!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In exchange for your delightful company, patience and guidance in the backcountry, I offer PARTY PUG energy (have actual clothing that attests to this), crash space in an actual bedroom if you don't have a place to stay in Vermont, post-touring hot tub time overlooking the incredible view at my house, ample opportunities to pet at least three lovable and energetic dogs as well as the friendliest, cutest cat ever, and the best-stocked beer and hard cider fridge in a 25 mile radius.
So you're hosting the 2024 Vermont Gathering. Excellent! :golfclap:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@ilovepugs Were a bit south in londonderry but we have full AT setups we've not used and are kind of intimidated by the whole thing. My friend Kelly and her hubs will take us out this winter to easy places. I think I'm more potentially into it than my guy. Michael's general philosophy is if the powers above wanted him to skin they wouldn't have provided chairlifts lol. We're on property at Magic and the mountain is only open 4 days a week so like the idea skiing whenever I want not dependant on chairlifts.

Hope you find good some awesome peeps to play with.

Sponsor

Staff online