Issue with new skis

Justintxz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I picked up a new pair of Black Diamond Helio 95's and noticed that the edge near the tip did not properly line up. I had my bindings mounted and did not notice until afterwards. Its my fault for not properly inspecting them prior to buying however is this a structural issue? I don't understand how the thickness of the edge material can increase like that. I'm going to warranty through Black Diamond however I am curious if it is a major concern or not. Thank you for the help!
problem2.jpg

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
It's not likely to affect the way it skis at all. It might however affect the longevity of the ski, being a rather obvious stress riser for some type of de-lamination issue. I would also be talking to BD warranty department if it were mine.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Isn't the edge pulled away from the ski? Is it thicker or is there a gap between the edge and the ski? the shop should have noticed it , so I would say you're off the hook! Get 'em replaced

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That’s like buying a new car with a dent in the wheel. I guess it no big deal as said but good luck turning on ice when you need to, or maybe I don’t get it.

TS
J

Justintxz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Isn't the edge pulled away from the ski? Is it thicker or is there a gap between the edge and the ski? the shop should have noticed it , so I would say you're off the hook! Get 'em replaced

Its flush if you run your finger along the outer edge. If you run your finger along the lower part of the edge you can feel it curve up slightly. It looks like they tried to fill it with epoxy.

echo: likely nbd, but if you paid full price, I'd contact BD

What does nbd mean? I paid full price (didn't get "new with blemish" but they are last years model. Thanks for the reply!

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
sorry, no big deal. From a skiing standpoint. But like everyone said, I'd try to address it with BD. That's Black Diamond

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Its flush if you run your finger along the outer edge. If you run your finger along the lower part of the edge you can feel it curve up slightly. It looks like they tried to fill it with epoxy.

What does nbd mean? I paid full price (didn't get "new with blemish" but they are last years model. Thanks for the reply!
I think "nbd" stands for "No Big Deal"...

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier

Weird, cuase it sure as hell doesn't look flush