• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Issue with new skis

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
If we flip your reasoning around, all high end skis should have tip and tail protectors or some sort of hardware instead of full wrap edges on tip and tail. *shrug* it's a set of choices

not so.
The point is about design intentions, and function.

If the ski is *designed* as the OP's seems to be (full edge wrap with single continuous piece), then using a butted joint anywhere in the run short of maybe a few inches closer to the tip where there are fewer regular flex cycles, would leave a significant stress riser that will work over time, probably cracking and shortening the life or at least appearance of the product.

If the ski is *designed* for 2 separate edges stopping beyond "normal areas of frequent flex" this might not be a factor and at least the flex pattern would be symmetrical. Still might be a gradual crack or delamination point, maybe it would not matter to the intended purchaser demographic, say if it was a racing ski replaced routinely anyway.

If it is an expensive ski for retail market, it's chintzy workmanship. Every 25th or 30th ski on a roll of edge material uses a partial remainder instead of just recycling that $2 piece of scrap & starting a complete wrap from a new roll. Maybe my sensibilities are wrong, though, and some would search out the less common blems. Like coin mis-strikes, or upside down airplane stamps.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
How does one put metal edges on a ski without a butt joint, if you wrap the ski in metal?

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought a set of Atomic Mavericks last year and the terminating edge at the tip sticks out and looks sloppy. I asked around and was told it would be ok. Ive had no issues with it, now I just ski and dont think about it. I do get being not happy with the fit and finish.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Rhetorical question. :)

Indeed, but ... take it one step further and notice the implications for differential heat treatment of various edge sections.

And if one doesn't heat treat, then terminating a piece of spring steel in the middle of a highly bent section is begging for separation.

Last edited: