• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

It's Wiggle Season...

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Imperial Wiggle.

View attachment 134491
This appears to have been developed by snowboarders as it has a definite bias at the top and some abrupt edge changes that don't coincide with how skier's would make the wiggle. It isn't obvious but it starts at the top left and then turns down the fall line.

It was particularly challenging being the first down it after fresh snow as the fresh would grab the tips of you skis while trying to skid the entire ski through the turns. My most successful technique was when I was heavily on my tips, almost buttering, with my tails sliding way up on (and out) of the trough.
Wow... I didn't notice how big/long that one was until you mentioned where it starts. I thought it was just 5 or 6 turns. But you can see it coming down the ridge if you look closely.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Wow... I didn't notice how big/long that one was until you mentioned where it starts. I thought it was just 5 or 6 turns. But you can see it coming down the ridge if you look closely.
It is very tiring as you (I was at least) are in constant tension managing the skis tracking, your speed and trying to see (fresh snow and flat light). The day I did it three times, I only did it successfully once. The first attempt involved skis releasing, the third required two stops due to exhaustion at the end of my ski day.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
media-1622496990261-May_31_2021_2_33_PM.jpg

20210531_143816.jpg

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you thinking of Dick’s Ditch? That’s more than a wiggle, it’s a winding gully.
No, when we were there they had a course. Wider than a wiggle, more escapable, but basically a luge track. It was skier’s right off a traversing trail as I recall.

You're both right. For most of the season, Dick's Ditch is "just" a tricky/fun/moguled winding-gully slope. But once per season, JH sets up a slalom course and holds a competition: https://www.jacksonhole.com/dicks-ditch.html
During the weekend of the competition, and probably a few days prior to it, DD is closed to the regular skiing public.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There was a "Wiggle" on the HRM lift at Meadows that was several feet deep. In places down to the dirt and tree branches under the snow.

0324221222a.jpg
@pchewn posted the above in another thread. Is it wiggle season again? Already?

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I noticed a wiggle on Silver Dollar at Rose today. I was considering having a go at it until I saw that it had been made by a bunch of kids on snowlerblades. So no, I didn't ski it. :roflmao:

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Bumping because @Tony posted a crazy one from Kirkwood on the Tahoe thread... it's looonggg and meanders through the rocks! :geek:

(I also saw a pretty big one at Vail in the Golden Peak area last week, but didn't get a pic.)

1651500234224.png

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
There are a couple developing at Breck, neither are very deep and people are shaving the inside corners to make them easier. I haven't bother trying to run them.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Bumping for 2023... who's got 'em? Who's skied 'em?

Unfortunately, I don't have a late trip this year, so haven't seen any myself.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
They started one on Peak 6 at Breck, but it never got well developed. It was on fairly thin snow as well. I did run it such as it was. The usual place on Imperial doesn't look like it has enough snow and no one has tried to start one there.

James

Out There
Instructor
I saw one in Switzerland in Feb. i guess that’s how warm it was.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bumping for 2023... who's got 'em? Who's skied 'em?

Unfortunately, I don't have a late trip this year, so haven't seen any myself.
We are seeing the start of wiggles, but nothing significantly formed just yet. I'll take some pics when I can