• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

It's Wiggle Season...

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This was part of my point further upthread. MTB trails have plenty of S-curve banked track. Take your skis down to Wakefield after a good covering storm and do powerline wiggle laps all day. Or vice versa, get a fat bike and (try to) ride a snow wiggle.
How often are those not through the trees?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I thought the Rendevous Bowl wiggle was a special case brought on by the increased traffic during the year of the temporary chair (when the Tram was down for replacement). I don't remember seeing one any other years.

Negative - its been there almost every Spring in recent memory. Maybe when the Marmot chair was running from Sublette to the top of the bowl it was set earlier, but its there in the Spring.....with the Tram in the last decade.

Jackson Hole Wiggle - YouTube

Although, this year I dont know - since a) didnt ride the tram...because covid. b) was there in nuclear winter.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

miken

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I saw one of these at Northstar on Sunday and was very intrigued but didn't try it. Saw it from the Comstock chair.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I did the wiggle at A-Basin a few years back on Mother's Day weekend. Speed control was essential. I was letting every turn drift as @KingGrump mentions. It was fun and generated a sensation of vertigo on each turn as you balance your speed to keep from falling into to wiggle (too slow) and being slung out (too fast).

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Superstar on Killington had a nice wiggle line on 2May19 the day after the May Day Race. Bikes took over the line after the resort closed. Groomers filled it in the next day.

IMG_3496.jpg

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Every year in Val d’Isere they set up a wiggle right at the beginning of the season just off to the side of the Creux piste. The problem with that is they sometimes get dumps that cover it up enough to make it invisible under the fresh snow. So if you jump off the side of the piste to enjoy the powder, you can easily crash into the wiggle.

Last year, I thought I was far enough to the skier’s left to avoid it, but a sudden unplanned double-ejection into forward somersault proved me wrong.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I did the wiggle at A-Basin a few years back on Mother's Day weekend. Speed control was essential. I was letting every turn drift as @KingGrump mentions. It was fun and generated a sensation of vertigo on each turn as you balance your speed to keep from falling into to wiggle (too slow) and being slung out (too fast).
I watched you do it. You looked very controlled. I asked you why you popped out on one corner and then reentered -- you said it was scraped down to exposed rocks in that spot.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Every year in Val d’Isere they set up a wiggle right at the beginning of the season just off to the side of the Creux piste. The problem with that is they sometimes get dumps that cover it up enough to make it invisible under the fresh snow. So if you jump off the side of the piste to enjoy the powder, you can easily crash into the wiggle.

Last year, I thought I was far enough to the skier’s left to avoid it, but a sudden unplanned double-ejection into forward somersault proved me wrong.
If you crash into a wiggle...does it become a "wiggle wobble"? :)

All these years of skiing and I've never come across one....somehow my ski career is not complete!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
If you crash into a wiggle...does it become a "wiggle wobble"? :)

All these years of skiing and I've never come across one....somehow my ski career is not complete!
They are fun if you are adventurous.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
We saw the wiggle on the Zuma side at A-Basin today. The wiggle spot to skier's left of the West Wall was destroyed and now lives on as a crappy mogul field...

The wiggle on the Zuma side has a "fun" surprise for anyone venturing in as the sun melt has eliminated a section of the wiggle near the end. That would be a rough way to end your ski day...

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Couple of big wiggles from Squaw and Alpine a few days ago... We saw quite a few folks ski them, and some get spit out... I didn't make an attempt - they're a lot steeper and deeper than they look from the lifts!

Squaw, in the Funnel area
Squalpine 041621 037 ACR Conv.jpg
Squalpine 041621 039 ACR Conv.jpg

Alpine Meadows, skier's left of Wolverine Bowl
Squalpine 041621 072 ACR Conv.jpg

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Solitude had two wiggles this spring: one down Vertigo and the other between Fluid Drive and Fleet Street. Both were completely buried by last week's 27" of new snowfall.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It was fun to watch some skiers completely disappear in the depth of the wiggle.
that was deep!
We saw one guy get spit out, clear the horseshoe, and land back in the wiggle at the next apex.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
I can't believe I have some how missed out on the wiggle. I think I would be carving all the way through the wiggle, just say'n.

Sponsor