• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I've narrowed down the skis I want to demo, please help

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
First, I've been a lurker here and this is a great forum with great information, thanks.

Right now I ski mostly in Maine but have been skiing in Durango at Purgatory lately. I am almost 6'2" and weight 225lbs.
I like all mountain skiing, carving, bumps, trees, anything. I'm not great at any of them but I ski well and ever progressing.
I ski on Volkl RTM 81's and I have a pair of Head Kore 99's that I haven't ski'd yet. I'm looking at a ski from 86mm waist to 90mm waist.
I want something that holds a good edge but something I can throw around in the bumps and trees and bumped up powder that has seen a lot of traffic. I'm not a hard charger but maybe just because I'm not there yet. I do try to ski somewhat aggressive.

I am looking at, new Kendo 88, Brahma 88, Wingman 86cti. My RTM's are great for Maine but I want something a little more playful and wider in the other stuff.
Any thoughts on the above or anything else I should consider? I also like skiing steeps with quick turns.

Thanks for any and all opinions.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
Im the same size as you and my daily driver is an enforcer 88 in the 186. It’s a great do-everything all mountain ski.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
First, I've been a lurker here and this is a great forum with great information, thanks.

Right now I ski mostly in Maine but have been skiing in Durango at Purgatory lately. I am almost 6'2" and weight 225lbs.
I like all mountain skiing, carving, bumps, trees, anything. I'm not great at any of them but I ski well and ever progressing.
I ski on Völkl RTM 81's and I have a pair of Head Kore 99's that I haven't ski'd yet. I'm looking at a ski from 86mm waist to 90mm waist.
I want something that holds a good edge but something I can throw around in the bumps and trees and bumped up powder that has seen a lot of traffic. I'm not a hard charger but maybe just because I'm not there yet. I do try to ski somewhat aggressive.

I am looking at, new Kendo 88, Brahma 88, Wingman 86cti. My RTM's are great for Maine but I want something a little more playful and wider in the other stuff.
Any thoughts on the above or anything else I should consider? I also like skiing steeps with quick turns.

Definitely add the RC One 86 GT to your list. The Wingman is a carvier design than the Brahma but also more limber. Good contrast in your slate there.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The RC One 86 GT in 175 might work, but it is for most a frontside bias ski, rather than an all mountain, in the Rockies, and it is more of a GS charger at 182 (which I own). A big guy I ski with (your size) often has that 182 length out too, but he switches to a pair of 186 Enforcer 88s when he wants both groomer charging and all mountain versatility (trees, bumps). (From my point of view bringing up the rear on a mere FIS GS ski, his edge hold on the 88 is a bit slarvy, but on the GT 86 is more in the groove on edge if a bit GS like - surprisingly maybe often slightly slower though more stable, for him, since he charges SG on groomers, usually. )

The newest Brahma (20/21 on) is a change, more precise carver biased and different feel; whereas before that this ski was better in bumps, trees, off piste - and yet for me had a more "ride the rail" feel. So you have to decide which year to look for, if you hone in on that ski.

TS
East Coast Scott

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I don't want just a carver, more all mountain which I know is quite the catch all, lol. I didn't think about an earlier year Brahma, that makes sense. I'll have to look into these other skis mentioned also. I have been mostly a frontside groomer skier but I'm getting into some bumps and trees also. Thanks again.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I suggest your check this out. You will need a Blister membership to access it. But seems to cover any ski in your potential list.

We compare the Pagoda Piste 90 RP to the DPS Pagoda Piste 94 C2, DPS Pagoda 100 RP, Elan Wingman 86 CTi, Fischer Ranger 94 FR, Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 88, Renoun Endurance 88, Armada Declivity 92 Ti, Salomon Stance 90, Black Crows Orb, Folsom Spar 88, & Liberty Evolv 90

I am a little bigger than you, but I use a Liberty Origin 96 for what you describe. I also own the 2nd gen Brahama (2019), which isn't as good in deeper snow as the Origin. Its better in firm snow, though. For trees I am on the Origin for sure, it pivots really easily.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you don't want to be a member, the summary of just the DPS Pagoda 90 above is that is just about the easiest pivoting ski they know of (trees & bumps) but is a bit less than tops for carving on hard pack. And that's at Crested Butte in Colo.

The Liberty Origin 96 mentioned is also a super pivoter/bump/tree friend, as well as being floaty. Very easy-going. But also a bit weaker on groomers/crud, I gather. I use a K2 Mindbender 99 for that; a stiffer, more chargy ski, a bit. @184(?). More bump friendly at 179. A Mindbender 90/179 might also be a possibility (that short for bumps).

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of Head Kore 99's that I haven't ski'd yet. I'm looking at a ski from 86mm waist to 90mm waist.
Just registering this bit. If you haven't skied those Kores yet, how do you know you need another ski?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great point. Just ski the crap out of those 99s for a year. Mid 80s sure is a sweet spot though i always lean toward the unplayful burly skis.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
My Kastle FX85's are priceless. Trees, steeps, moguls, groomer carving at 1/3 edge and 50mph...excellent. So many choices...I found my perfect all day ski. Others for race days and and bottomless pow days. Powday...let's make that a day of the week.

TS
East Coast Scott

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just registering this bit. If you haven't skied those Kores yet, how do you know you need another ski?
I have an 81mm and 99mm. For the East coast I want something from 86 to 90mm for an all mountain. I'm thinking the Kore 99's will come with me when I travel out West or when we get a foot or two dump in Maine where I ski mostly, Sugarloaf.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
What year skis are the FX85's?
I snagged my FX'85's off Sierra dot com a month or 2 ago and they are 2018's. 19's have HP on topsheet. Wonderful ski. Scour the web and get them flat for 199+-
b.jpg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I suggest your check this out. You will need a Blister membership to access it. But seems to cover any ski in your potential list.
Why not read the long term reviews of these skis here? Many of our testers follow-up as the season and conditions change.

The Pagoda Piste 94 C2 is one of the best skis I've been on in that category.

Another thing to consider is shopping with @SkiEssentials because they offer a great line up of all the skis mentioned in this thread and have some incredible reviews.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I ski on Völkl RTM 81's and I have a pair of Head Kore 99's that I haven't ski'd yet. I'm looking at a ski from 86mm waist to 90mm waist.

I've been pondering your descritption of your skiing and I wonder if you'll ever be a hard charger or if you're just a finesse skier.
That being said, leave your RTMs in Maine and get something that is a little more "all purpose" for skiing out west.
You're on to something with the thoughts on the Brahma or Kendo, but there are some other really good options to add to the short list, like the Dynastar M-Pro 90, K2 Mindbender 90, DPS Pagoda piste 94, Blossom Crosswind (85mm) ...
There are so many good skis that will do what you want for a travel ski to excel in bumps and trees but still hold an edge on groomers.

TS
East Coast Scott

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've been pondering your descritption of your skiing and I wonder if you'll ever be a hard charger or if you're just a finesse skier.
That being said, leave your RTMs in Maine and get something that is a little more "all purpose" for skiing out west.
You're on to something with the thoughts on the Brahma or Kendo, but there are some other really good options to add to the short list, like the Dynastar M-Pro 90, K2 Mindbender 90, DPS Pagoda piste 94, Blossom Crosswind (85mm) ...
There are so many good skis that will do what you want for a travel ski to excel in bumps and trees but still hold an edge on groomers.
Yes, I wonder myself what exactly constitutes being a hard charger. Sometimes I ski quite fast on the groomers but there are always someone that will pass me. I am not afraid to throw my skis around though. I have read most all of the ski reviews on every site available. Like you said about finesse, I almost had my mind set on Ripstick 88's but then I read comments under the reviews saying if you are a heavier skier these skis don't do well. That's where most of my confusion comes in, I range between 225 and 235lbs in shape, but I guess the kind of weight doesn't matter. This is the reason why I'm leaning towards the Brahma and Kendo type skis, they get good reviews for heavier skiers. I might be asking for too much though, a good solid carver but also playful in the loose stuff.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I range between 225 and 235lbs in shape, but I guess the kind of weight doesn't matter. This is the reason why I'm leaning towards the Brahma and Kendo type skis, they get good reviews for heavier skiers. I might be asking for too much though, a good solid carver but also playful in the loose stuff.
At your size, I think you are on the right track.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I almost had my mind set on Ripstick 88's but then I read comments under the reviews saying if you are a heavier skier these skis don't do well. That's where most of my confusion comes in, I range between 225 and 235lbs in shape, but I guess the kind of weight doesn't matter.

Your body weight does matter a lot. But if you are a beginner skier and weigh a lot, you don't want a stiff ski. The more you weigh and the harder you charge (generate a lot of force in turns from speed and radius) the stiffer a ski you want. If you slide your turns at slow speeds (finesse) then you don't need a stiff ski even if heavy.

I think its an easy conclusion to say you need a stiff ski, but not race ski stiff. The rip stick is too soft a ski for you if you push it, which you will.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
weight matters a lot! . skies other describe as superstiff or stiff will feel soft to you at 225-235.

you will for sure handle both kendo and brahma.

arguing over whats stiff skis on the internet is fun at time, like the enforcer 88 is for many a superstiff ski that they just cant flex out, while my petite 240 lbs frame will make that thing feel on the sofer side ;) but put a 150lbs on it? yeah that thing is pretty darn stiff and you can go sendy on them.

Sponsor