• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I've narrowed down the skis I want to demo, please help

Mrph45

Booting up
Skier
[
This is good timing as I just joined and have been working through the almost exact same scenario. We are the same height and about the same weight and I've had been demoing and looking at new skis. I just tried the kendos this past weekend and they worked well in the White Mountains on a mix of groomed and spring conditions throughout the day. They were solid and responsive going fast on the firm morning groomers and kept up when the snow got soft later in the day. I also demoed the enforcer 88 in February and I want to try it again, because it was a classic cold, icy New England ski day when I did them. The enforcers that day didn't care if it was sheet ice, granular ice, packed powdery ice it charged through everything thrown at it. I think it would carve through the parking lot if I didn't slow down. I think the enforcers would be better carving the ice and random crud on the trails, both seem fantastic on the groomers, but the kendos would shine more in trees and bumps

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Yes, I wonder myself what exactly constitutes being a hard charger. Sometimes I ski quite fast on the groomers but there are always someone that will pass me. I am not afraid to throw my skis around though. I have read most all of the ski reviews on every site available. Like you said about finesse, I almost had my mind set on Ripstick 88's but then I read comments under the reviews saying if you are a heavier skier these skis don't do well. That's where most of my confusion comes in, I range between 225 and 235lbs in shape, but I guess the kind of weight doesn't matter. This is the reason why I'm leaning towards the Brahma and Kendo type skis, they get good reviews for heavier skiers. I might be asking for too much though, a good solid carver but also playful in the loose stuff.

I am 210 lbs and 6'. I don't ski fast. But I am pretty fit and will put the ski on edge. Kendo and Brahma were the first two skis I rented where I thought *wow I really like the feel of these.*

So I don't think you need to be skiing the fastest to be considered a 'charger' in this weight class. I bought Kendos a few years ago and have not found a speed limit on them - though I seldom actually test the upper end. I don't ski fast because I know that if I did hit someone at a good clip, it would go very badly for them. It takes a lot of energy to stop when I get moving - so I just don't let that happen. The Kendos are very stable, and I like them for that. If I need to stop abruptly, they don't fold. I put high value on a ski's stopping power.

So I ski more like 'finesse' style with lots of turns, but my mass and the fact I like to carve a turn and not smear so much makes the 'charger' type skis feel really nice under foot for me.

My 2c.

TS
East Coast Scott

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, I've seen great reviews especially on the re-designed Kendo. I've also seen good reviews on the Brahma. The Brahma has 2 sheets of metal so I'm wondering if that would be too stiff for trees and bumps.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Yes, I've seen great reviews especially on the re-designed Kendo. I've also seen good reviews on the Brahma. The Brahma has 2 sheets of metal so I'm wondering if that would be too stiff for trees and bumps.

IDK, I'm actually looking to replace my Kendo since they are a few years old. My comments are mainly relevant to the skis as they were 4-5 years ago. I know there have been tweaks to both. I didn't buy the Kendo because it was superior to the Brahma, there were definitely tradeoffs between the two. The (old) Kendo is better at some things, the (old) Brahma was better at others.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Yes, I wonder myself what exactly constitutes being a hard charger. Sometimes I ski quite fast on the groomers but there are always someone that will pass me. I am not afraid to throw my skis around though. I have read most all of the ski reviews on every site available. Like you said about finesse, I almost had my mind set on Ripstick 88's but then I read comments under the reviews saying if you are a heavier skier these skis don't do well. That's where most of my confusion comes in, I range between 225 and 235lbs in shape, but I guess the kind of weight doesn't matter. This is the reason why I'm leaning towards the Brahma and Kendo type skis, they get good reviews for heavier skiers. I might be asking for too much though, a good solid carver but also playful in the loose stuff.
It seems there are varying opinions on what a "charger" is. In my mind one necessary component of being a charger is high speed skiing, but then everybody's opinion of what "high speed" is differs too. If there's always someone that will pass you, you are not a "charger" IMHO. I used to be a charger, but I got better; I now like, and do all types, styles, speeds, and fashions of alpine skiing except tele (at various levels of sucking:) ).

I skied the previous generation of the Regular Ripstick 96 (green, not black) about two years back. I skied the 2nd longest length and I weighed 150 lbs at the time. For a 150 lb skier it was the perfect compromise ski for the soft snow they have at Mount Washington Vancouver Island. For a 230 lb skier it would have been way too soft. The black edition and the new green edition are supposed to be stiffer, but I'm 100% certain, not stiff enough for an extra 80 lbs. The Ripsticks would fold under you like a cheap plastic toy.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
It seems there are varying opinions on what a "charger" is. In my mind one necessary component of being a charger is high speed skiing, but then everybody's opinion of what "high speed" is differs too. If there's always someone that will pass you, you are not a "charger" IMHO. I used to be a charger, but I got better; I now like, and do all types, styles, speeds, and fashions of alpine skiing except tele (at various levels of sucking:) ).

I skied the previous generation of the Regular Ripstick 96 (green, not black) about two years back. I skied the 2nd longest length and I weighed 150 lbs at the time. For a 150 lb skier it was the perfect compromise ski for the soft snow they have at Mount Washington Vancouver Island. For a 230 lb skier it would have been way too soft. The black edition and the new green edition are supposed to be stiffer, but I'm 100% certain, not stiff enough for an extra 80 lbs. The Ripsticks would fold under you like a cheap plastic toy.

FWIW...I'm pretty sure Bob, at Ski Essentials, who reviewed the 2022 Ripstick 96 Black Edition is about 6'2" and 220/225 lbs.

TS
East Coast Scott

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
FWIW...I'm pretty sure Bob, at Ski Essentials, who reviewed the 2022 Ripstick 96 Black Edition is about 6'2" and 220/225 lbs.
If I were going to get a 96mm ski, it would most likely be the New Mantra M6. I demo'd that ski and absolutely loved it!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January