• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review J-Skis Test Skis Have Arrived!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@JLev is liking what we are doing here and sent us some skis to play with. Jason sent us "The Metal" in the yet to be released Skyfather-David Hale x J Collab graphic. We have these in a men's 186cm and women 173cm sizes and they look like some fun skis. These will be part of our long term test fleet so plan on spending some time on them. The official release of these skis is 4 day away but you saw them here first!

fullsizeoutput_544a.jpeg

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Oh.... Metal has been on my to demo list. Will these be joining you on Colorado adventures?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Finally a women's ski long enough for @SBrown to be happy to test?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
very interesting in deed. Would like to get a few turns in on those. Jason has a proven track record for leading the way with his designs. I also find it interesting that he has gone the way of direct sales......

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The Metal has intrigued me as what I imagine to be a refined Prophet. The prophet was one of the most well balanced, all mountain skis of its time that I've been on. Just a very nice blend of stoutness and playfulness. K2/Line evolved it into the Supernatural which is also a very nice and versatile ski. The Metal strikes me as JLevs own evolution.

I have a soft spot for all mountain skis with a metal backbone/skeleton in them though rather than a full layer like the Prophet / Supernatural / Atomic Alibi / Ranger Ti. They typically are just the sweet spot for my style of skiing.

EDIT: I'm guessing the reason they hit the sweet spot is that when I'm looking for metal in an ~100mm waisted ski, I'm looking to metal to provide dampness, not tons of edge grip. So isolating metal to the center of the ski provides a good bit of the dampness while retaining playfulness of a lighter wood/glass layup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Metal has intrigued me as what I imagine to be a refined Prophet. The prophet was one of the most well balanced, all mountain skis of its time that I've been on. Just a very nice blend of stoutness and playfulness. K2/Line evolved it into the Supernatural which is also a very nice and versatile ski. The Metal strikes me as JLevs own evolution.

I have a soft spot for all mountain skis with a metal backbone/skeleton in them though rather than a full layer like the Prophet / Supernatural / Atomic Alibi / Ranger Ti. They typically are just the sweet spot for my style of skiing.

EDIT: I'm guessing the reason they hit the sweet spot is that when I'm looking for metal in an ~100mm waisted ski, I'm looking to metal to provide dampness, not tons of edge grip. So isolating metal to the center of the ski provides a good bit of the dampness while retaining playfulness of a lighter wood/glass layup.
Like many things just because a ski has metal in its name and in it's contruction does not mean it is a stiff burly ski. This Metal is feels nothing like a Prophet or Supernaturl but more like a Bacon or the DPS Wailer & Zelda F106 in feel and flex. With @Monique and @Tricia both liking the DPS, I expect them to like these too.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Like many things just because a ski has metal in its name and in it's contruction does not mean it is a stiff burly ski. This Metal is feels nothing like a Prophet or Supernaturl but more like a Bacon or the DPS Wailer & Zelda F106 in feel and flex. With @Monique and @Tricia both liking the DPS, I expect them to like these too.

Plus I do love me the smaller independent brands, especially when they're made well.

Brandy

Booting up
Skier
I have a set of the Jskis Metal. I bought the "HellYeahs" last season. My favorite ski, I love it. I loved it so much I bought a set of the "AllPlays" this season. Jason makes great skis.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yes, perfect for here indeed!

:D

(This was last year in Feb.)

IMG_0364.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid