• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jacket brands with sleeves long enough for tall skinny lanky guys (but not giants)

McSkiFace

Booting up
Skier
I'm looking at ski jackets for my BF's birthday. He's always complained that he has to choose between a well fitting torso section but sleeves that run too short (snow and cold get up it, even with gauntlet gloves), or sleeves at a good length with a baggy parachute for a torso.

Thing is, he's not even THAT tall. He's 6'2" and about 180 pounds. More lanky.

For regular shirts he can usually wear medium to give you and idea of his build. Easier to hide slightly short sleeves on a button shirt I guess. Large button shirts looks like he's wearing a tarp.
"big and tall" options are usually gargantuan on him, so I don't want to go that route.

For the big lifetime guarantee brands Outdoor Research, Patagonia, Columbia, Mountain Hardware, Arc'teryx do any fit that bill?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm the opposite, short and a bit of "dad bod"...and Ive found Columbia always seems to run long for the "width"...exactly the opposite of what I need LOL. Not the most high-end stuff, but they seem to be very servicable

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Paging @Ron to the SkiTalk Courtesy Phone

Reactions: Ron

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Arc'teryx has a more "athletic" fit so might work. I've also found Helly Hansen to have relatively a tall slim fit, especially the pants. I would avoid Patagonia as they have a looser almost free ride fit.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm exactly the opposite body type, so I have some experience with jackets that DON'T fit me...but might fit your BF.
Arcteryx, Black Diamond are the first two that come to mind.

anim

Booting up
Skier
I absolutely second this. Nørrona’s sizing is usually perfect for me at 6’5” and 187 lbs. They have wider and narrower models but they all have long enough sleeves and legs.

Other Scandinavian brands might be close as well, at least some Peak Performance jackets work great for me.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This. Perfect for orangutans.

Arc has gone mass market. They used to be for the tall and lanky athletic type. Now they fit short fat old dudes like me just fine.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
In Arc teryx, go with the Alpha series jackets. they are cut for climber so they have longer sleeves. Also, the Sabre LT series has longer sleeves and longer hem. I wear the Alpha AR and Also the SABRE LT . both have long sleeves. With Arc teryx, they are cut differently for different applications but you can see their dimensions on their site. the Sabre LT says lightweight but its plenty burly.

Last edited:

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm the exact same dimensions as your boyfriend. I've found that Salomon jackets tend to run long in the sleeve without having a baggy fit. I don't know if that's true for all of their jackets, but the couple that I've owned have been that way. I'll check to see what size the jackets are (I'm pretty sure they're Large) and I'll PM you later.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm basically the same size. I wear M in almost everything.

Depending on your budget. Arcteryx as suggested. My favorite is the Cassiar for skiing, but I would not really use it for anything else. I also have the Sabre which is also longer and I like it, but it's actually a tad bit baggy and I like the collar of the Cassiar better.

As @Ron mentioned, the Alpha Series is incredible, but I didn't like the pocket placement (climber design v. skiers) and so went instead with a Beta SV instead. I also have a Beta AR. Beta AR is definitely a bit short on the backside. I don't ski with it because of this and other reasosn. But the Beta SV is a perfect all around shell for my size people. Covers the backside well and long sleeves and good pockets.

On the economics of it, almost all of my first Arc Jackets were bought via demo sale (right place right time and right size since demo lines are usually M), which is almost unheard of to find these days unless you're in the industry, but I'd still buy any of them up to 25% off (only because they're almost always on sale somewhere) You can regularly find them for at least that up to 50% off. They last forever and the warranties are tops.

If the budget is not there, possibly Outdoor Research. I love OR stuff for bang for the buck.. Definitely not the same form fit as Arc but marginally great relative to the much lower price.

Finally, again, for my size type I have never really liked any of the Patagonia Gore. Just too baggy or I'd find issues with the hood over helmets.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My Stio jacket is my favorite (as a skinny lanky-ish male with long arms). OR is a little short in length of jacket and sleeve length for the size that fits me overall the best (S), so I am often having to get size M which is a little baggy on me. Patagonia also seems to be about right in length.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mammut.

Plus, the cool wooly mammoth logo!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am similar, 6’5” tall (36”sleeve) and skinny. M fits my chest and shoulders.

Look at brands/ models for climbing and AT skiing, or even mountain or road biking.

Basically, look for a Slim fit L, or an extra-long-sleeved M.

Stretch fabric and good articulation/ cut can help too, since the sleeves won’t ride up as much. In other words two jackets that both cover the wrist in a standing position, with hands down, might be very different when reaching out.

@McSkiFace , of the brands you list, Arcteryx is the only one worth looking at.

Mammut is a good one if it is from their Alpine or Touring category, something listed as slim fit.

Check out Dynafit and RAB as well. In Rab you’ll want to look for ‘Slim fit’ for sure.

SwedishFish

~~~ <°)))>< ~~~~
Skier
You might want to look at Strafe.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Men's Elevenate (Sweden) is very tall and thin.

Arctryx is about the only thing I can wear without worry. I'm not super tall, but have long arms, and it's nice to have an XL jacket that doesn't have room for a case of beer in the middle. :)

James

Out There
Instructor
You could try Colorafo Freeride. Made in Colorado. But you’d have to find one at like the two retailers since they seem sold out.

If you’re talking Arctyrex, you might want to take a look at PHD, an English company. Since they make their own products, they can customize.
Prices include 20% VAT, so deduct that unless you live in the UK.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK, I’ll chime in...I’m tall ( 6-1) and sort of still lanky with 35 sleeves... the best fitting parka( s) ive owned are from Phenix... yeah, I know, pricey. But; the Norway Alpine team series ( available/ get them minus the sponsor labels) have long sleeves, a roomy - but not a tent- body, pockets etc in all the right places , and supremely comfy. Plus they’re warm, waterproof ( 20,000mm) ,4-way stretch, and close to bulletproof. They last forever. Ive owned several; one is more than 10 seasons old and still looks fresh, sheds water , and is my go to parka for storm or cold days. Works great for typical January- Feb northern New England skiing - I’m thinking of you Middlebury Snow Bowl and Mt Mansfield. Their Norway insulators are great for spring or just normal northern Sierra sunny days.... like today at Squaw.
And for comparison at that end of the spectrum; ive worn Kjus as well which are also top end and with generous length sleeves. Kjus has lots of bells and whistles ,is well made, waterproof etc etc but is a bit skimpy in the body, pants are not full zip, and honestly v nice but not as comfortable as Phenix to me.
I’ve been skiing for 60+ years and been given / tried everything... nothing wrong with all the “ usual” softshells , parkas , etc but overall find Phenix to be worth the $ in terms of long lanky fit and overall skiing comfort and durability.
And on the topic ... when it comes to high end ski wear, in my experience the models certain companies make for WC national teams ( Descente, Phenix, Goldwin back in the day, etc) generally are extremely functional and worth the $ ... assuming you can get your hands on the same , actual product ( not knock offs or lower end lines) the team is issued, minus the sponsor patches of course.

Sponsor

Staff online