• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jackson Hole Steep and Deep camp

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Reviving this thread, here's a nicely done 45 minute promo video for the Jackson S&D Camps:

Edited down nicely for maximum entertainment value. I find this really good for showing the spectrum of skill levels of skiers attending, and how the mountain accommodates them all.

I've been looking at a lot of video of various "camps," and I would think that of the major commercial products, Jackson's is about the gnarliest. If you're just getting started off piste, you're welcome to come. If you want to drop Corbet's they'll do it with you. Or more. The crowd that gets attracted to camps is going to have a lot to do with the nature of the mountain. "Steep and deep" at JHMR has a different meaning than at Mary Jane.

I thought it was fun doing MA on this video, too. The basic skill challenges limiting skiers in handling off piste conditions stand out clearly. But--no deficiencies in enthusiasm!

One thing that all these camps seem to have in common is that you're not going to get drilled heavily for four days on fundamentals. This is not the place to rebuild your skiing from the ground up. They're 75% go out and have fun guide service, and 25% instruction. And after all, the work to rebuild skills has to start on those boring old groomers.

Oh--and I love the fact that they included adaptive skiers. Those people rock.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Reviving this thread, here's a nicely done 45 minute promo video for the Jackson S&D Camps:

Edited down nicely for maximum entertainment value. I find this really good for showing the spectrum of skill levels of skiers attending, and how the mountain accommodates them all.

I've been looking at a lot of video of various "camps," and I would think that of the major commercial products, Jackson's is about the gnarliest. If you're just getting started off piste, you're welcome to come. If you want to drop Corbet's they'll do it with you. Or more. The crowd that gets attracted to camps is going to have a lot to do with the nature of the mountain. "Steep and deep" at JHMR has a different meaning than at Mary Jane.

I thought it was fun doing MA on this video, too. The basic skill challenges limiting skiers in handling off piste conditions stand out clearly.

One thing that all these camps seem to have in common is that you're not going to get drilled heavily for four days on fundamentals. This is not the place to rebuild your skiing from the ground up. They're 75% go out and have fun guide service, and 25% instruction. And after all, the work to rebuild skills has to start on those boring old groomers.

That's not a promo film, or at least not primarily a promo film. It's the summary they give (well, sell) to the participants. They do have great photo editors. (You could also get the raw video of your own group.)

I still have the equivalent video from one of my camps. Maybe I'll post it.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Stephanie! We did our L3 together. :)

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^ Bill Truelove was my "guide". Different month/year, though. Brings back great memories of 9 years ago this coming Feb. The next oldest person in my group was 25 years my junior. Every time we took a hike (often) and I'd be huffing and puffing at the tail end of the group, I would say out loud- "Did I happen to mention that I turned 60 a couple of months ago?"

I wonder where that DVD is...

Last edited:

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder what JH is going to do this year about S&D as well as other resorts with programs/camps like this. Are they going to follow suit with Taos and make them all private groups only?

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The next oldest person in my group was 25 years my junior. Every time we took a hike (often) and I'd be huffing and puffing at the tail end of the group....
I haven't done S&D at Jackson, but lesson groups at Alpine Meadows do lots of hiking. I've more than once chuckled at the fact that the next oldest person in the group would be 25 years younger than me, and he'd be the one huffing and puffing at the tail end. OTOH, we figured out that the instructor Walter was the same age as me, and I never saw him huff and puff at all. Never give up! Admittedly it could be a different demographic at JHMR.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of the members of my group was a local who was writing an article about S&D for the Jackson newspaper. At the time she held the women's record for vertical feet skinning up and skiing down in 24 hours. Something like 35,000 feet. Might still be the record. Of course, she was the one waiting on ALL of us.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

I thought it was fun doing MA on this video, too. The basic skill challenges limiting skiers in handling off piste conditions stand out clearly. But--no deficiencies in enthusiasm!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really impressed by what the adaptive skiers are skiing and how well they're skiing it (starting at 25:45). This is just great skiing, never mind that they're on sit-skis.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really impressed by what the adaptive skiers are skiing and how well they're skiing it (starting at 25:45). This is just great skiing, never mind that they're on sit-skis.
At one of my S&D's they had recently integrated the adaptive and main camps (originally they were on different weeks).
We had a blind skier ("I don't understand why everyone is complaining about the visibility. Seems about normal to me" ogsmile), a skier with one artificial leg, and two sit skiers.
One of the sit skiers was an amazing skier, and the other was reasonably good and trying to rise to the other's level. Everybody had a good time.

(I'm struggling to remember details on the one-legged skier. I think she had a dry-land artificial leg but skied on one leg and two large outrigger poles.)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I finally made the time to watch this whole video.
Echo, starting at 23:35, was the instructor who started me on the path towards rebuilding my skiing! That was when I was 49, so around 2006.

Does anyone know what year this video is from?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dunno if this is the right place to put this. It is a Steep and Deep camp though...

Man, if I wasn't such an old fart, I'd really be tempted by this one:

Dan Egan & Marcus Caston
Engelberg Switzerland

February 12-19

Get your Steep & Deep on with Dan Egan & Marcus Caston!

Engelberg, Switzerland is one of the top powder and freeride destinations in the world! With huge skiable vertical of 2000m, Engelberg has over 50 miles of slopes, ultra-modern ski lifts, and stunning views of the Swiss Alps!

Trip Includes​

• 6 nights lodging at the beautiful Bellevue-Terminus Hotel.
  • Magnificent, healthy breakfasts
  • Gourmet dinners at Living Room at BT or downtown Engelberg (Includes any special dietary requirements).
    Wine and/or Beer included with dinner (limit 2 drinks per person).
  • Welcome reception upon arrival
  • Engelberg Ski Pass – 6 days of skiing.
  • On-mountain lunches.
  • On mountain coaching, hosting, guiding.
  • Wellness & Spa package with Sporthotel Eienwaldli
  • Alpin Luxe Skilebrity Gift Bag.
  • Gratuities.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Dunno if this is the right place to put this. It is a Steep and Deep camp though...

Man, if I wasn't such an old fart, I'd really be tempted by this one:

Dan Egan & Marcus Caston

Engelberg Switzerland

February 12-19

Get your Steep & Deep on with Dan Egan & Marcus Caston!

Engelberg, Switzerland is one of the top powder and freeride destinations in the world! With huge skiable vertical of 2000m, Engelberg has over 50 miles of slopes, ultra-modern ski lifts, and stunning views of the Swiss Alps!

Trip Includes​

• 6 nights lodging at the beautiful Bellevue-Terminus Hotel.
  • Magnificent, healthy breakfasts
  • Gourmet dinners at Living Room at BT or downtown Engelberg (Includes any special dietary requirements).
    Wine and/or Beer included with dinner (limit 2 drinks per person).
  • Welcome reception upon arrival
  • Engelberg Ski Pass – 6 days of skiing.
  • On-mountain lunches.
  • On mountain coaching, hosting, guiding.
  • Wellness & Spa package with Sporthotel Eienwaldli
  • Alpin Luxe Skilebrity Gift Bag.
  • Gratuities.
It's $8500, in case anyone was wondering. (As I was.)

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not cheap but it includes pretty much everything including lifts, lodging, meals and gratuities.

Sponsor

Staff online