• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Kircher of Boyne Mountain Family Passes January 28th 2023

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can't imagine the loss Kim Kircher is feeling at this moment.

John Kircher passed away peacefully at 2:35pm Mountain Time on January 28th. He was surrounded by family and friends.

Seven weeks ago when we realized the cancer had spread, John starting planning his death. For a man who has orchestrated many adventures in his life, it’s no surprise that he wanted to control how he would transition to the next one.

He had a list of people he wanted by his side. He told me to, “send his soul in the right direction and he would see us on the mountain.” When I realized yesterday morning that he didn’t have much longer, I gathered his list of loved ones and we held a vigil for him. We listened to music and even toasted him with a round of rum and cokes. We laughed and told John stories and shared the final moments of a remarkable human being. At one point, the sun came out and Lone Peak poked its head through the clouds as if to send him farewell.

A few days before he died he asked, “do you think I can go skiing with Warren Miller in Heaven?” I’m sure he’s up there right now.

There’s so much more I could write, but I will leave this here. Know that I will be okay. I’m buoyed by the support system around me. My heart is full even in the midst of breaking.

John also helped plan his “party.” There will be a Celebration of Life on February 11th in Big Sky. Believe me, it will be a great send off.

~ Kim Kircher

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was at Big Sky winters for the 1990's first as a low level employee and then as an unemployed skier. John was a force to see and watch at work as well as being generous with opinions and unexpected offers of opportunities, in my opinion. Here's to you John and thanks for the memories.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The man did so much for skiing and ski resorts he piloted through some epic times and challenges. No doubt he is skiing with Warren and the gang.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As a bit of my memory, when Kim and John owned Crystal Mountain, I remember when she accidently took out chair 6 while doing avalanch mitigation.

The interview with John and Kim when that happend was pretty sweet.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a lifetime Crystal Mountain WA skier I must say that John Kircher's tenure as owner and manager is the best thing that ever happened to the mountain. He had great vision and excellent practical application. I was lucky enough to meet him a few times over the years and he was always gracious and seemed genuinely interested in whatever you had to say.
John, you are missed.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Always fun talking to John... we had a lot of common acquaintances growing up in MI and shared stories about all the MI diaspora we knew in the ski world. One time over beers, I told him his first wife kissed me... He looked at me with a funny expression, half humor, half WTF.... I added, "in second grade." (100% true story. :) )

John lived large to say the least. Fair winds, John, and grace to Kim.

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Although we never met, his vision and inspiration brought us to BS.
The story of John ordering the tram without asking / telling his father, priceless. RIP !

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Although we never met, his vision and inspiration brought us to BS.
The story of John ordering the tram without asking / telling his father, priceless. RIP !
Will you be going to the celebration of life on the 11th? If I could I certainly would.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^ you bet @Tricia !
This news sent me down the rabbit hole of early Big Sky and the people that made it happen. Hope to meet Tom Junqst if he’s there, he and John must have made quite a pair
Interesting read