• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Joining Patrol - The French way

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
After 20+ years of skibum preofesions I am finally working my way towards what here is considered a real and sensible profession (My 3 winters in Japan was consided a very real and highly profesional job there, but the way it was run would not be allowed whatsoever in Europe).

Over the years I've skied a bit, probably 2000+ days, Since first learning on plastic artificial slopes (a bit like whte astroturf) in '78. I made it as far as Junior national squad in ski racing in the late '80's and raced a bit at University. I qualified as an Electronic and Electrical engineer but became a skibum. I've done most skibum jobs over the years and mad a few 100mpais of skis (For my own company and others). In Canada I have worked alongside patrol in Sunshine Village allthough never officially (Didn't have the time or qualifications back then).

I passed my WFR more than a decade ago, along with AAIRE Avie 2 while working my way through the American Guides Scheme (That came to nothing in the End) . Here I am an International Mountain Leader - Middle mountain guide/Trekking guide.

BUT in France I have to start form square 1. There is also no Voly patrol system, pro patrol only. I have done a few days shadowing friends on Patrol here, which the resort couldn't understan why I wanted to, bt they were happy with an extra pair of hands.

Pre requesit

First aid - Premiere Securist 1 + 2. This is run by the Fire department and is the defacto first, first aid scheme for anyone becoming a Firefighter, Ambulance service, Lifeguard, Police, Mountain Rescue and others. A tough two week course that is more about procedures than first aid, although there is a fair bit of first aid in it. The reason for all of the procedures and rules is, France is a very integrated country when it comes to Emergency Services and everyone read form the same book. Yes it can be a PIA, but in many ways it means a Patroller get the same profesional respect as Firefighter. This also means that in a large imergency there are more Securist (first responders) who can be called upon who know how the system works.

Ski Test - 2 parts - First speed - you need to get a Vermillion level in a Ski school race - sounds easy, but if you don't bash gates it will take you many goes to get near enough to the instructor (most be an ex FIS racer) s time to pass.....Most of the weekend amateur races were not posting times fast enough. Took me 2 goes, 2nd time on borrowed race skis, not just piste carvers.....25 years since I'd raced.

The Technical test - 400m vertical of mixed off piste, don't look like a numpty, juged.... Need to get 12 out of possible 20, Speed, Control, Choice of line, Technique. Sounds easy - Took me 4 attempts. All but 1 of my tests were just bump fields on a black run. "nd go the guy in front was ex FIS the guy following was ex FRWT, we all got 9.75! To pass I did a weeks preparation course. Turns out I had been doing 2 things wrong. 1st I was skiing the terrain in a normal fashion. Instead of making it look like there were almost no bumps out there. And making GS turns, just resturning to short radius turns at the change of slope to re-asses my line. 2nd I was skiing too slow - Requied speed 20-50kph (12-30mph).
I finaly passed on the last but one 1 before they shut down France! I got lucky, not only had I practiced (I say practiced, I mean I was beasted for a week) on the same ski hill. We had fresh snow overnight and no freeze - Upper part 20cm (8") Fresh on not frozen, middle just soft, lower section had been rained on, so 1m (3') bumps but soft enough that I was going in 50cm (1'6") on 100+ underfoot. 30% or more coudn't stand up, less than 10% passed (some tests have sub 5% pass rate).

I was supposed to start a 6 week patrol course the next weekend but as the world has become a bit of a mess I have to wait until November :(. But at least I am allowed to do the course.

Form friends whove done the course and from the literature it's all the things you would learn as through the volly system in other parts of the world. Difference being this is a goverment run course to a very specific silabus. And unlike other parts of the world most people starting the course have never touched a snowmobile let alone a rescue taboggan!. In that respect I am lucky, procedures I will have to learn, radio calls in French I will struggle with, but the rest, I've nit just done, I've taught!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Cool Tom. Will make for an interesting diary.

TS
Idris

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just got comformation of my place on a patrol course. It's down in Les Orres, near lac Embrun and Gap....a long way form home in the Chamonix valley. I was supposed to do a course in March/april after passing my entry test and the backup for that was April/May. Both of which got canelled for obvious reasons. The first 5 I applied for only accepted people with confirmed places form March. I've been applying since they posted the courses in June.
From what I understand it's one week of Moutain Knowledge and 5 of Patrol specific stuff - Luckily this for me is much more about French language and procedures than doing stuff from scratch. I am a middle mountain guide/trekking and I've run a Cat Ski op in Japan. I have also shaddowed (they don't do volly patrol) hear in France

TS
Idris

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
So I begin. Day on of my Formation Pisteur Secouriste (Ski patrol course).

20201116_103023.jpg

20201116_103041.jpg

Today is general weather, then snow.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good luck! Is it me or are the other participants look "young"?

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Nice to follow your journey! This test is very hard without a race background. I am French and to be honest I was surprised when I moved in US to know that you could be volunteer patroller even in resort owned by big companies like vail. I won’t talk about skills but Is there any benefit other than vail gratitude? I mean patrolling is nice but are people ok to work for free for a company that is making a lot of money.

Along the same line I have been astonished to see people here asking for ski gear recommendation because they will teach ski and were snowboarder their all life. I get that they will be assign to kids but still... In France you have to be at least at the selection level the op reached to have the ski instructor jacket.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice to follow your journey! This test is very hard without a race background. I am French and to be honest I was surprised when I moved in US to know that you could be volunteer patroller even in resort owned by big companies like vail. I won’t talk about skills but Is there any benefit other than vail gratitude? I mean patrolling is nice but are people ok to work for free for a company that is making a lot of money.

Along the same line I have been astonished to see people here asking for ski gear recommendation because they will teach ski and were snowboarder their all life. I get that they will be assign to kids but still... In France you have to be at least at the selection level the op reached to have the ski instructor jacket.
I know Belleayre offers free season pass for volunteer patrollers if they work 20 days in the season. In America, working in outdoor pursuit is often considered as side jobs, not careers.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....Along the same line I have been astonished to see people here asking for ski gear recommendation because they will teach ski and were snowboarder their all life. I get that they will be assign to kids but still... In France you have to be at least at the selection level the op reached to have the ski instructor jacket.

Ski instructor jobs here in the US are as a rule low paying jobs. Full-time instructors at big mountains with years of experience can make a seasonal living doing it if they get good tips. Part-time instructors, who make up a large percentage of instructors along the east coast, are doing it for the perks, not the pay. Perks usually involve season passes for nuclear family members, among other things. Part-time pay may be so low that it doesn't even cover expenses. But people do it anyway.

These part-time instructor jobs are often filled by older skiers who do not need to earn that much. When this bunch gets too old to continue teaching, there may be no one willing to take their place. Younger skiers will need to make a real living and won't be able to rely on savings to support such a weekend "hobby" job. There may be a crisis in the industry as ski resort management needs to keep the ski schools running and they currently depend on the enormous profits those low paid ski instructors deliver.

Add to that the fact that here in the US health insurance is tied to full-time work. Many ski instructors do not get health insurance through their ski jobs. So it's a wonder anyone needing a real job will do it. But people do, but not in great numbers.

Given this situation, ski schools these days often find themselves in the difficult position of being understaffed. It is common to say they will hire whoever walks in and asks for a job.

Last edited:

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
In EU, can you teach without being associated with a mountain resort? I know in the US, you can't.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am the eldest by a decade and there are many less than half my age. BUT I do have the advantage of "been there done that", just I have to do it in French this time.
I think that you have passed the hardest part which is the technical test right?

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I did not want to raise the controversy on which model is the best. I think that in Europe domain are on public land while in US resorts company own the land. What I really like in North American resort is that every skiable within the resort is a trail and that there is some open terrain with avy mitigation. In France as soon as you are not on a trail you are supposed to have beacon probe shovel. I get that US model requires more mitigation and labor but at the same time everything is more expensive (lift ticket, food, lessons...) and I believe that resorts should have pro patrollers only. On the other hand I would volunteer to support my local community if it’s a small local hills / public domain (same as you have volunteer firefighters in small town and pro in big cities).

I am sure that the op will be able to highlight the difference between the difference model better than I do ;)

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
In EU, can you teach without being associated with a mountain resort? I know in the US, you can't.
Generally speaking (for Italy), yes, one can.
Either as an employee to one of the resort ski schools (which are not part nor usually associated to the "resort" aka the lift company) or as an indipendent. The only requirement is to be (legally) certified. A "small" caveat, one needs also be affiliated with the region of choice Ski Instructor's Council, and then will only be allowed to teach only in that regon. Despite the title being nationwide valid, to move from one region to another, it requires a bit of bueraucratic work As for patrolling...In Italy patrolling, either inbound or outbound is done by the army (mountain troops - the "Alpini") or law enforcement mountain branches (Police, Carabinieri, Guardia di Finanza). Outbound is also done by the CNAS (Corpo Nazionale Alpino e Spelologico - Alpine and "Cave" National Corp, its members are mostly Alpine guides, on a volunteer basis). Inbound some volunteer organizations are also starting to appear (as Idris explain, one need to pass the basic "first responder" volunteer coursee, 80 hours on first aid, procedures and standards, then the real patroller course starts)

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
BTW, patrollers here do not work on Avy prevention and such, they are "only" first responders. Avy prevention duties, safety netting and so on pertains to the lift company sphere, but is only limited to the groomed runs and their immediate surroundings (immediate meaning anything which could endanger people on a groomed run). Beyond that, one's on his/her own.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that in Europe domain are on public land while in US resorts company own the land.
A lot of large resorts in the western US are on federal land, not land they own. (That includes many of the Colorado resorts, including Aspen, Vail, Copper, Keystone, and Breckenridge, among others.) They are typically allowed to operate under a lease (or special use permit), as though they own the land. Whether or not a given resort owns their land varies a lot around the US though.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Avy prevention duties, safety netting and so on pertains to the lift company sphere, but is only limited to...
Who does that for the lift company? A special group of employees? Some random guy who was cooking lunch the week before?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
A lot of large resorts in the western US are on federal land, not land they own. (That includes many of the Colorado resorts, including Aspen, Vail, Copper, Keystone, and Breckenridge, among others.) They are typically allowed to operate under a lease (or special use permit), as though they own the land. Whether or not a given resort owns their land varies a lot around the US though.
To me, this is basically government sanctioned monopoly. Same for the concession for guiding permits in national parks, etc.. Yosemite has only one climbing guide company, Rainier has 4, Denali has 7. No wonder the wages are so low.

Sponsor

Staff online