• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
I mainly ski frontside. My kids take me into tracked out trees and scare me to death because I cant maneuver fast enough and the bumps are closer together than my skis are long.
I love to tear down an unpopulated groomed run and I keep attempting black bumps but they win everytime so far. We ski Summit County. ABasin is my favorite. I also love the blues on the third mountain at Keystone. I'm a really good skier on blues but not yet on the blacks at keystone and abasin. I had no problem at timberline on mt hood. I did not try any of the blacks there.
I ski salomon BBR right now and really don't get why they made the terrible ski list but what do I know. I have fun on them, they are fast while a bit unstable at speed but still under control (the tips start to wobble), they never flap and they carve and hold an edge really well. I remember going from the top of Palmer to the bottom of the Magic Mile at Mt Hood at the most terrific speed and I have to give the BBRs some credit for that. They, or I, are not nimble and this shows in the trees and bumps. They get me down the backside of ABasin in one piece but bumps even on a 45 degree slope would be quite an effort.
So the title lists some skis, not widths, that I am considering. Maybe the amphibio are out due to cost and foreseeable obsolescence by new and improved designs. I sure can't find enough reviews to make an educated decision on them. I wonder if they are fantastic or fad. Probably the same thought many had about the BBR. I'm excited about both Fischers mainly because of philpug and dawgcatching posting their reviews, but I'm 44yrs, 6ft3 and 215. My BBR are 186/89. The reviewers are not my size and don't seem to ski my territory as much. So I'm hesitant. There are Ranger Ti 90 and 96 available at good prices this summer so it's on my mind, Motives are less accessible and im unsure from industry reviews if the pro mtn are near the motives in stability and fun. JSkis have the most amazing reviews. It seems I can have stability, decent weight, fun. ...i dunno, but the 100% 5 star reviews make me nervous and I've seen mention of them here but where is the enthusiasm? At 600-700 usd I can't rely on a manufacturers website, one review site and passing mention here. Plus with our tight schedule there will be no demo day in our future.Yes I can return them but it seems unfair and I'd like to hear from people who ski like I do, not in the park, not touring, not 80% backside and not only black diamonds all day.
Hope there are some with experience to share.
Thanks
Uriah

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Which Rangers do you refer to? The old ones (2015) are quite soft; the current ones don't like anything groomed. The Motives and Pro Mtns are much more versatile, though I find the Motive 86 much kinder than tha Pro Mtn 86. The Elan Amphibio's - well, some hate them, some love them. Try demo them.

Of all the skis you mention, the Motive 86 TI would be my choice.

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
Which Rangers do you refer to? The old ones (2015) are quite soft; the current ones don't like anything groomed. The Motives and Pro Mtns are much more versatile, though I find the Motive 86 much kinder than tha Pro Mtn 86. The Elan Amphibio's - well, some hate them, some love them. Try demo them.

Of all the skis you mention, the Motive 86 TI would be my choice.

I've been seeing good deals on 2016/17 Rangers. I'll keep in mind their dislike for groomed runs. I need something that lives for groomed, fast, fun, a pop through the trees...
You know what? I need the perfect ABasin blues plus trees ski that is stable at speed, carves and wont mind me heading right from the top into the ungroomed, off limits, bit of black and bit of trees like heading down Half Moon Glades at ABasin to Weasel Way to Wrangler but that also likes taking Dercums Gulch to Ramrod at full tilt. Maybe thats the best description if what I live/love to do.
Uriah

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Hi Uriah, I am about your size. I own Motive 95's and Pro Mtn 95s, so can maybe help you out with an opinion. They are completely different skis, they are not just 'BNG', they are very different. The Motive and old Ranger have very 'convensional' feels. The slight tip rocker makes them a bit more nimble and adds some float... but the tails want to fully finish turns, once on edge they ski like the square tailed wide ski they are. I like the analog feel of adding pressure and angle and dialing the turn I want.

The Pro Mtn is still plenty solid at speed, but they are also way more maneuverable. The slight tail rocker makes an enormou difference in the ability to pivot the ski in tight places. The carbon tip and tail also effect feel, the ski reacts quicker when tipped. It takes less pressure to shape a turn, just roll them on edge and feel the sidecut engage and pull you into the turn.

The newer (2 years in production) Ranger 90/ 98/ 108 are a different animal also, very much a 'freeride' ski. Built to excell in softer snow, they can handle hard pack, but they are at their best surfing/ slashing and smearing. A great group of tree skis, but maybe not an ideal everyday ski for a groomer zoomer.

You might want to take a close look at a Nordica Soul Rider, they really can do everything you are looking for in a ski. The new Navigator 85 or 90 is also a great choice for what your after.

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
Thanks Mike
Really have been wondering if I should check out Nordica after Blister loved on their Enforcer so much. I'll read up on your suggestions.
PS I agree about the analog feel comment. That's important.
Uriah

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It sounds like there is some price motivation in your thought process so I will not get into the attributes of some of next years skis...like seconding the very good Nordica Navigator that @Mike Thomas mentioned. I ski that our tested really liked were the Armada invictus 89Ti and 99Ti, darn versatile skis that IMHO cannot be ignored especially when you can find them on the discount racks. The only J I have been on has been the Metal, so I cannot give your a fair review of the Masterblaster, the ski that would be what you are lookig for. Yes, they have a strong following hence the strong reviews but IMHO you are too big of a guy for the type of skier they are marketing to.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Mike
Really have been wondering if I should check out Nordica after Blister loved on their Enforcer so much. I'll read up on your suggestions.
PS I agree about the analog feel comment. That's important.
Uriah
I'm glad @Mike Thomas brought up the Soul Rider or Navigator. Solid choice, given the description of what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I don't have the knowledge to make a recommendation, but will second staying away from the Rangers for skiing groomers.
I found them very harsh and chattery (is that a word?) on hardpacked snow.

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
Thanks everyone. Blister does love the Soul Rider.
So, SR 87 185? I can pick up a pair today. My only other thought was Scott the Ski. Could someone chime in on their feelings about choosing between these two for ABasin skiing?
Uriah

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
Something I think would be really helpful in the forums, for me to help myself before asking for help, would be a height weight of each skier in their signature so that I can read their reviews and see if its possible that their experience might be similar to mine. The height and weight wouldn't be mandatory of course but it sure would be convenient for those late night research reads. Or maybe if you write a review you also include that info so we readers have more context.
Uriah

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
I can second (or third) comments about the Fischer Ranger 90. I own a pair and have about 20 days on them. They are super fun on soft snow and up to six inches of fresh stuff, but what skis aren't fun in those conditions. This is what they were made to do. They pretty much much suck on hard groomers. So cross them off your list. I bought the Pro Mtn 86 ti's for the hard conditions. They are awesome and very versatile. I'm a Colorado skier - 5'11" 195 lbs. Good luck!

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Something I think would be really helpful in the forums, for me to help myself before asking for help, would be a height weight of each skier in their signature so that I can read their reviews and see if its possible that their experience might be similar to mine. The height and weight wouldn't be mandatory of course but it sure would be convenient for those late night research reads. Or maybe if you write a review you also include that info so we readers have more context.
Uriah
Most people include their stats in the review posts.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Uriah
In all of our testers profiles, their stats and skiing styles are listed.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Most women posters aren't super excited about posting their weight in their signature :huh:

I realize you're not looking for female skier reviews particularly, but it would be a weird dynamic to set up.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Even though a few have mentioned the Nordica Navigator...I would also look at the ski the Navigator replaced which is the NRGY. You could definitely find the NRGY 90 on clearance this year, and they are, IMO, a very solid contender. They ski groomers well, but also hold their own in bumps and trees. A good friend of mine at 6'6" and maybe 200-210 (ish?) lbs, skis them and absolutely loves them. The only days he wasn't a huge fan was during powder days..so he ended up with a second pair of Fischer ranger 108's for those rare New England days.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Do you think it would be bad form to ask about marital status and net worth?

I figure you can always ask ... no one has to answer. And I seem to recall someone around here telling a story of throwing a drink in some dude's face. Deservedly, I'm sure.

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
I found where Phil mentioned I can see reviewers stats in their profiles which will come in handy.
Had no intention of taking the conversation so OT!
It looks like I can pick up the Invictus or Soul Rider, both 185, for about $300. Great deals! I've seen a lot of support for both and probably can't go wrong. Would yall prefer one over the other for ABasin?
Uriah

PS thanks to you all for the help. I really appreciate it.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree that $300 are awesome deals but don't forget that the REI winter/summer sale will probably be in a couple of weeks. Then there are the Labor Day sales. Not that you will find a better deal than you have but it might open up more of selection in your price range. Also, someone still had a Motive 95ti I just can't remember who. I couldn't find it online so it may have been Colorado Ski and Golf. It could have also been Peak Sports/Copper. They are gone and I'm not sure where VR moved all of their stuff to. Probably Mountain Sports in Silverthorne.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The Invictus will probably feel better on groomers, the Soul Rider can rip- and does rip, as long as you keep it carving. It feels soft and chattery if you try to brush turns at speed.

Sponsor

Staff online