• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dan Egan

Founder of the flow
Instructor
Hall Of Fame Member
Contributor
Skiing is a Zen sport. The essence of the experience is to escape from the mundane routine of life and step into the adventure of the now. Gliding on, over and through snow provides us with the opportunity to experience, observe and express the emotion of being wrapped in a winter day.

It is important to remember what you think about your skiing is none of your business. Simply put, don't let performance ruin a good day of skiing. Our job as skiers and snowboarders is to complement the mountain and add the exclamation mark to nature’s beauty. From our choices in clothing to the style and flare in which we descend the slope, then we leave our mark in time and space on the mountain.

However to obtain this level of understanding and expression, one has to be free of self-judgment which includes the elimination of constant evaluation of one's ability. Freeing yourself of critical thinking in the sport of skiing is one of the most important steps you can take to improve your overall experience on the mountain.

If you are in search of the perfect turn or attempting to feel entirely in control during the entire run, there is a strong chance you will feel frustrated throughout the day.

So many people begin each ski day with some judgment; usually, it starts with the weather. Is it a beautiful day out? And that answer ultimately depends on your perspective. The next common critical question is what the conditions are? That answer also wholly depends on your perspective. Often people will comment to me that the snow is bad today, I always answer, "How can snow be bad?" The snow might be firm, soft, slick, windblown, but bad, it’s never bad. By never judging the snow I'm able to stay free of judgment that might affect my mood or emotions

When you move into the judgment-free zone, it is better to observe the weather and conditions. Maybe its windy, or cloudy, or sunny. When we raise our awareness of our surroundings, we embracing rather than judging.

The majority of people that ski with me always talk about their mistakes. It amazes me that on a lovely day on the mountain people to choose to focus on a negative rather than a positive. As ski guide and coach I like to observe what skiers do correctly. And as soon as I point out what went right, they counter with their negative or self-judgment and the net result is a reinforcement of the negative rather than the positive.

There are so many aspects of skiing that should be prioritized over performance and becoming aware of this move us closer to the judgment-free zone.
Turning off the critical mind is a constant struggle. First, become aware of how the analytical mind is making judgments about the day and your performance, once you notice this, quickly change your focus, preferably to something beautiful, a snowy tree, the clouds moving across the sky or a friend or loved one. This small slight reprieve from the critical will create space for the positive.

Practice this while you are skiing, if a critical thought comes into your mind; replace it instantly by observing something in your immediate surroundings. It takes practice.

On top of the mountain when I start to ski I breath deep and with purpose, as the speed builds I feel the wind on my face, as my skis begin to turn I focus on the ski biting into the snow and I allow my eyes to search down the slope. Entering into the next turn, I smile and embrace the excitement of being in the judgment-free ski zone.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
... Our job as skiers and snowboarders is to complement the mountain and add the exclamation mark to nature’s beauty. From our choices in clothing to the style and flare in which we descend the slope, then we leave our mark in time and space on the mountain.
So Dan is a fashionista now? Can't wait.

My zen moment occurs when the turn ahead is uncrowded, the sound of the wind rises, when fluid motion and G forces meet adrenaline and fresh legs, the music comes up and I breathe in all the day has to offer. On those moments there is no judgement.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
That's a beautiful little essay. I'm putting it on a sticky on my desktop!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for posting that @Dan Egan. Its a friendly reminder that the mountain is our best dancing partner.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Everyday that starts on top of of the world with a winter coat of white to play with fills my heart with joy. Keeping that same great feeling going all day is the goal.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeh, my takeaway is that we pigeonhole our mindfulness skills, only applying them to the situations we most practice them in.

(And for those who don't realise it, OP's post is textbook mindfulness material).

While skiing I alternate between flow state where I am thinking about basically nothing and mindfulness where I consciously take in my surroundings and what I am doing in them and focus on small details. I end up coming out of most ski days more relaxed and mentally balanced than any other activity I do. It is like a brain cleaning or something.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Thanks Dan a message that never gets old.

A smile is one of the best signs that you are doing it right.

Grimace does not count.

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for this. I oscillate pretty strongly between harsh self critical judgment while skiing and focusing on my positives and just enjoying the moment. The latter is often harder than the former though.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
As ski guide and coach I like to observe what skiers do correctly.

Exactly! An amazing basketball coach (Frank Allocco) in my area gives clinics to Rec coaches like myself. One of his main points is that you can always build on positives. And most of the time a negative directive can be turned equivalently, but more effectively, into positive. There are several benefits: it is often a more direct message ("clear to the side" is much more direct than "do not clear to the center" to a youth footie player). Also, the athlete will feel more confident. A confident athlete performs better. And even more importantly, in our context as recreational skiers, we do this for freaking fun.

This is why your essay here, Dan, is so appreciated, and got so many "likes". Enthusiast forums like this one many times go off rails because, let's face it, we are obsessed with skiing. So we have a tendency to over-thinking things and we make it sound like you need a triple PhD in Physiology, Physics and Chemistry in order to ski.

It is very refreshing for us to see someone as accomplished as you to have such a laid back, positive mentality, and to spread the love. It is not surprising, though. A lot of the highest level experts here in the Forum also have a similar attitude IMHO and observation.

Of course, I am not saying that improving our skiing abilities is a bad thing, neither are you. It's just that you can teach and learn on a positive way, and be grateful for the privilege of being in a beautiful snow covered mountain. Thanks, again, for taking the time.

:beercheer:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
There are times where I focus on technique. This is generally a focus on my own body and trying to alter something or feel something different. This is contrary to the zen described by the OP.

To break out of the self critical skiing and into the zen state, I find it helpful to do something to unplug my brain to start the run. Sometimes a simple auditory 'whoop' works. Click the poles together. Think 'Send it!" This all sounds cheezy, but it does work. I can just 'be' on the slopes and really enjoy what's happening without the critical inward eye.

ErikCO

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
There are times when I focus on doing specific exercises or focusing on particular movements within a turn. And there are times when I get to the top of the mountain and just let my turns take me to the bottom, no predetermined run choices, just werever my turns lead. It may be a green run, it may be a black bump run. The important thing is to let the turns flow so the entire run feels like a dance. Not really something I can do when I'm skiing with a group, but great fun and relaxing when I'm on my own. Another thing I do from time to time is to ski a long green run and just enjoy the sensation of my skis sliding along the snow, the ebb and flow of G forces through the turns, and the sensation of flying while not having to think or concentrate on anything. And then I have to go back to the real world

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
But, but, but...

If it weren’t for the hope of improvement, half of the east coast skiers will only ski half the number of days!

What’s so “good” about skiing on refrozen rain in negative temperature and 35mph gust?

if a critical thought comes into your mind; replace it instantly by observing something in your immediate surroundings. It takes practice.
What’s to observe when ones surrounding is 10,000 other barely in control skiers crammed into a few limited runs???

If it weren’t for the hope of “whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”, we wouldn’t have gone out in conditions that are “good for you”...

When the skiing is good, it’s easy to not think about one’s technique shortcomings. After all, anyone can ski perfectly groomed corduroy. But such “good” conditions are often in short supply. When the the corduroy got skied off, or the slush refreeze, it’s time to pay very close attention to technique!

Or stay home (mow the lawn, read a book...), if one really want to avoid those pesky self-critical mood when condition are such... Here in the east, when conditions are “bad”, it can be REALLY “bad”, especially for those of us who don’t yet have the technique to handle it.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But, but, but...

If it weren’t for the hope of improvement, half of the east coast skiers will only ski half the number of days!

What’s so “good” about skiing on refrozen rain in negative temperature and 35mph gust?

What’s to observe when ones surrounding is 10,000 other barely in control skiers crammed into a few limited runs???

If it weren’t for the hope of “whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”, we wouldn’t have gone out in conditions that are “good for you”...

When the skiing is good, it’s easy to not think about one’s technique shortcomings. After all, anyone can ski perfectly groomed corduroy. But such “good” conditions are often in short supply. When the the corduroy got skied off, or the slush refreeze, it’s time to pay very close attention to technique!

Or stay home (mow the lawn, read a book...), if one really want to avoid those pesky self-critical mood when condition are such... Here in the east, when conditions are “bad”, it can be REALLY “bad”, especially for those of us who don’t yet have the technique to handle it.

Know what I do here in the East when we have less than optimal snow? I develop a curiosity about what causes conditions to change....temps, humidity, skier traffic, grooming...I don’t complain, I just observe. It helps develop a sense of wonder. And when I see skiers struggling, I remember that that was me once, or is still me in difficult terrain. Then I feel a connection to people I don’t know. And when I am lucky enough to ski powder, or just lovely soft snow, the feeling of gratitude is intensified.

And skiing in really crappy weather? It makes me feel alive! It is also why I like to run in the rain, cold, and wind.

Like @Tricia said, the mountain (or hill, in my case ha) is our dance partner. There is no place for judgement, obsession over technique, or self criticism.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But, but, but...

Seeking self improvement and being critical to the point of bring negativity into your world are two different things, Grasshopper. You've a lot to learn, but no worries, the journey is the reward. The mountains are always beautiful, no matter what the weather, and just being within their grace is reason enough. The "conditions" are never "bad", the sooner you embrace that, the sooner your technique to ski all the beautiful variations the mountain offers will improve, and the more your skiing improves the better it gets and so on. Embrace the journey.

Sponsor

Staff online