• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

June 22nd... one of the best days of the year

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
I actually thought about that as I wrote it. I'm in Davis, California. Are you familiar with it? I do notice that your location just says "USA." :huh:
Davis… Yes. One of the best viniculture & agricultural science schools in the world is at UC Davis. I would have never guessed the Sacramento Valley cooled down so much at night. I thought it was more of a coastal phenomenon.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Davis… Yes. One of the best viniculture & agricultural science schools in the world is at UC Davis. I would have never guessed the Sacramento Valley cooled down so much at night. I thought it was more of a coastal phenomenon.
Davis is at the southern end of the Sacramento Valley and close enough to the water to get the delta breeze in the evenings. Even when there's not much of a breeze, the hot air moves out at night or early morning. The cool nights are lovely, and many (most?) homes have whole-house fans for quick cooling as soon as it gets cooler outside. Other parts of Sacramento Valley don't cool off as much.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why is it one of the best days? Because it's the date (in the northern hemisphere) when the days start to get shorter! It's means winter is on it's way!

:snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:
:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:
:snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:
And so the Earth spins on its axis, turning summer into fall....and so on...

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Gonna be a long, hot spin :(

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When my father-in-law was still around, we spent this week in northern Wisconsin fishing for northern and muskie on a beautiful lake near the Michigan border. The sun came up so early and there was still light in the sky at 10 pm. That made it a unique and fun trip, but now we only get there every few years and later in the summer. This year we waited too long with the pandemic and have a house in Michigan.

I haven't started looking at the NOAA forecast yet. That usually waits for late August.:ogbiggrin:

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
All that anticipation?

I'm living in the moment. It's the longest day so I took full advantage of it. Got done kayaking at 8pm! (still had daylight to have some fish taco on the beach too)

Also a good day for a double century on bike, for those so inclined ;) (I used to, but got wiser)

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Yes! I do lots of fun things in the summer too... but I don't "count down" to them, think about them a lot, or prepare for them, the way I do for ski season. :)
Hmmm.... I don't have time to think about it, not even a little.

I just finished washing the salt water off my paddle gear. Once they're dry, I need to re-pack for an evening paddle tomorrow. Followed by a weekend of white water...

In between, an old friend is visiting from out of town. Need to squeeze in a lunch somehow.

Winter? What winter? ;)

(but I'm here in case someone post a deal, a new addition to my pass, etc.)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
This is my favorite day of the year. Football is double digits away and the countdown begins to that and the 8 months of fabulousness that follow. I enjoy summer and all that goes with it but I start to get an extra showing in my step on this day.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here's what I did with my son yesterday. Larch Mountain in SW Washington. Went up with another Jeep. His lifted Jeep got stuck. Mine walked right thru everything we encountered:)

Attachments

• 20220624_202722.jpg
    20220624_202722.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220624_205315.jpg
    20220624_205315.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 9
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought I might start a new thread today... but instead I'll just bump this one, and say that sadly, we've reached the shortest day of the year, and days will get longer from here (for the northern hemisphere)... meaning the end of ski season isn't far off.

Well it also means that winter is officially here!! Yay!!!

Enjoy it while you can!!!

:D :D :D

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
sadly, we've reached the shortest day of the year, and days will get longer from here (for the northern hemisphere)... meaning the end of ski season isn't far off.

Well it also means that winter is officially here!! Yay!!!
By the same token, summer "is officially here"! Now that we've past the longest day of the year...

Sorry, winter will have to wait till summer is over. ;)

Powder High

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yep, first day of fall, when the sun starts heading back to the Southern Hemisphere. The days are finally getting shorter, slowly but surely.

This time, it should stay down there for an extra few months, and make a habit of it. Hang out at the Tropic of Capricorn admiring those Australian girls until about March 31 ;) , then slowly start coming back north until June 21. It should be near the equator then. Then -- turn around and head south again.

Last edited: