• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Just another E-bike thread....

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm wondering what you guys think about e-Bikes in group events. I'm not saying races, but events like Grinduro, Fondos, etc. Events where it's not strictly a race, but where racing does occur. Are eBikes allowed in these types of events? @Ron you are involved in one, do you guys have a policy on it.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Meh..no prizes or prize money, I don't care. Course, I wouldn't win anyway. I suppose I ride for my own reasons..just don't ask for the trail on an uphill when you're on an e-bike..

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I'm wondering what you guys think about e-Bikes in group events. I'm not saying races, but events like Grinduro, Fondos, etc. Events where it's not strictly a race, but where racing does occur. Are eBikes allowed in these types of events? @Ron you are involved in one, do you guys have a policy on it.

Yes, Tour de Steamboat allows e-bikes in our 26 & 46 mile road courses. Once they have longer ranges, I'm sure we will allow them.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The Iron Horse allows them in the citizen's event. It is cool to see people with conditions, which would prohibit them from riding, enjoying the fay and closed hwy.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Meh..no prizes or prize money, I don't care. Course, I wouldn't win anyway. I suppose I ride for my own reasons..just don't ask for the trail on an uphill when you're on an e-bike..

So DH rider has right of way if the ebike is coming up? Not sure how that will happen in the split second we have to stop.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So DH rider has right of way if the ebike is coming up? Not sure how that will happen in the split second we have to stop.
This is something I try to do but I am torm because it goes against basic etiquette and can confuse the dowhill rider. We did have a "You go....no...you go...." with a fellow eMTB'er a week or so ago. It was both of us trying to be courtious. We did have a nice conversation and a chuckle.

To the OP...and to @scott43's point, not a race, don't care. What does it matter? We jsut rode up in Tahoe with a group, there were 6 of us, Tricia and I on e's and the other 4 women on regular bikes. We let them set the pace and we all enjoyed the ride. FWIW, there were at least 10 eBikes I saw that day...all were Specialized.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I know this is about organized rides but this is where I have had issues. E’s coming up steep hills that I don’t normally see many others & more quickly than I expect. There really is no time to tell if they are on E-mtb’s or not so I do my best to yield but I’ve had to lock em’ up a few times recently. In these instances I don’t think it would be a problem if they had been climbing at a mortal pace. Also being passed fast from behind while climbing with no warning has startled me more than once (payback for all those hikers & skiers who think I’m nuts), at least get a bell! I guess I’ll just have to get used to it but all of these occurrences have happened on USFS trails that are currently closed to E-bikes.

I look forward to getting my own E-mtb as soon as I figure out which will be the right one for me & it is available.
Right now all but one of the trails that I ride regularly are closed to E-bikes (not that it stops anyone) so I see it as motivation to go out & experience different areas with a new perspective.
Every hardcore analog rider that I know who has been on an E-bike or has one, luvs it! My experience adds up to about 15 minutes total but it was a kick ogsmile .

4ster

Instructor
This is something I try to do but I am torm because it goes against basic etiquette and can confuse the dowhill rider.
Basic etiquette should be self preservation! Does “yield” mean a complete stop? I have been riding mountain bikes since the beginning and until recently it was rare that I ever had to come to a complete stop to yield except for horses. Unless the trail is extremely narrow, passing slowly giving each other a little leeway is usually pretty easy & doesn’t require a high level of skill (I have even given a high five occasionally). Lately I see people who are so intent on maintaining their right of way that they are risking injury to themselves. :eek:
Hikers almost always step off the trail & yield even though they have the right of way just because it makes sense & is obviously easier unless it is a large group.
In 35+ years of MTBing I have yet to experience any real conflict on the trail but with the recent huge influx of users I am hearing about it.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Air Force is completely silent on the issue - if you have your number on right you're good for the Challenge.

For the citizens' race (i.e. the Cycling Classic) they were likely allowed. It wasn't goverened by any competitive sanctioning body and is really just a "rack up miles for charity" event.

The two criterium events, however, were sanctioned USA Cycling events and have zero tolerance of e-assist technology.

BTW: those two events were exceedingly tough, with temperatures on the course over 120°F (sun+blacktop tarmac), head index close to 130°F during the peak heat periods in the day (typically in the last 20-or-so laps of each day's racing with the men's pro/Cat 1 events). Only 25 pro men finished both days' worth of racing.

I also saw some nasty crashes in today's Clarendon Cup race, and many Cat 3/4 racers in yesterday's Air Force Classic Crit were caught in frame destroying pile-ups (both carbon and aluminum frames snapped like twigs in some of these crashes). And not one of these bikes had an e-assist system. ;)

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

This is probably part of the reason that the Bonneville Shoreline Trail system at the north end of the Salt Lake valley is becoming unidirectional on some routes. It's already de facto unidirectional downhill on the legendary Bobsled Trail, but with increased trail use there will be unidirectional rules put in on many of the trails where MTBs are allowed, especially on those lacking width to safely pass.

Given that e-bikes can climb faster and test reflexes, this kind of stuff may become the norm on MTB-focused trails. How it's policed is another matter entirely.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its funny, it never occured to me to particpate in an event like those mentioned here. The only event I've really been interested in is the one I talk about here.

My only goal in getting an e-bike was to make it more enjoyable for me and not to create any issues for other riders on the trail.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I look forward to getting my own E-mtb as soon as I figure out which will be the right one for me & it is available.
Wow, stop the presses. :golfclap: Seriously, I am very interested in what you feel would be right for you. Something like the Trek E-Caliber that is XC oriented and light or Orbea Rise that is lightweight with stackable batteries or long travel, weight be damned and more power for long range. :popcorn::popcorn:

Every hardcore analog rider that I know who has been on an E-bike or has one, luvs it! My experience adds up to about 15 minutes total but it was a kick ogsmile .
A caviot is that I don't ride too oftern in tourestiest areas so every one I have seen and talked to on the trail were seasoned riders and none were newbies to the sport with these being their first mountain bikes. @Andy Mink and I were riding today and came across two eMTb'er on the trail as they were dealing with tecnical difficulties. The breakdown was a broken derailleur from a rock flipping up and hitting it, an odd occurance. In talking to the riders, they were about our age, mid 50's with decades of riding under their belts, we rememinced of old Klein Pulses and Attitudes and how no way in hell that we would want to ride them today.

E-bikes are here to stay and when hardcore riders like @4ster are saying that he is looking forward to getting one....that deserves a "day-um".

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
BTW: those two events were exceedingly tough, with temperatures on the course over 120°F (sun+blacktop tarmac), head index close to 130°F during the peak heat periods in the day (typically in the last 20-or-so laps of each day's racing with the men's pro/Cat 1 events).

I saw how many Challenge starters dropped out - so glad I went to the lake instead.

The Clarendon Cup has a history of being horrible, especially in windy conditions.

E-bikes are here to stay and when hardcore riders like @4ster are saying that he is looking forward to getting one....that deserves a "day-um".

Not at all. Of course they're here to stay - just like shaped skis. It just means the MOAR battery MOAR range arms race is ON.

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
I am very interested in what you feel would be right for you. Something like the Trek E-Caliber that is XC oriented and light or Orbea Rise that is lightweight with stackable batteries or long travel, weight be damned and more power for long range.
Truth is I don’t know what suits me. I just keep listening, watching & reading. I don’t think I am replacing my analog bike just adding to the options.
...& yes I realize ebikes are here to stay. Just neEd to figure out where to put them. Whether they are multi-use trails that include pedal assist e-bikes or whatever, it will take more trails to deal with the increasing numbers & avoid conflicts.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm kinda surprised we're not seeing lease plans already.
I know a shop that was looking at "season lease" programs for bikes as they do for skis but looked at the wear and tear and just felt it wasn't worth it...and this past year, it would have been impossible.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
no way in hell that we would want to ride them today.
I believe their commet was these were the most fun bikes they'd ever had. For me, if I had a traditional bike I'd probably still be on the couch.

Sponsor

Staff online