• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Just another E-bike thread....

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Different strokes for different folks.

I'll say that my current thinking is I will not get an e-bike until I have a) at least used up my current SC 5010c and/or b) can't ride where I live because it is too much for my body/spirit. My rides cover enough mileage and elevation to keep me in shape and are still in the type I and type II fun. I don't need to go farther or ride longer than I do at present.

Around here (Summit County, CO), you can't ride dirt, other than moto trails, on an e-bike. As long as I live here and rules don't change, going 'e' would significantly detract from my riding experience.

Currently, I'm leaning more towards the e-bike as a truck/commuter vehicle than a recreational vehicle. I won't disparage anyone riding an e-bike unless they are on trails where they are prohibited.

I haven't noticed people breaking the rules (riding e-bikes in prohibited areas) around here and virtually all the e-bikes I see are on the rec-paths; some commuters, mostly visitors. Anecdotally, there haven't been any noticeable/reported changes to the incidence of accidents happening because of someone being on an e-bike. Our visitors tend to be experiencing the moment and experience, not paying close attention to their behavior, so I'm happy that the added speed (anecdotally again) they are enjoying hasn't caused noticeable changes in accidents.

Around these parts, the initial concerns I had about people overextending their (and their bike's) capabilities hasn't materialized. I don't know if that would change if e-bikes were permitted on non-moto trails.
Bikes are or will shortly be allowed on singletrack trails. And nobody's enforcing away the class 1 bikes.

Because the forest service realizes that the wave is impossible to turn back.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Bikes are or will shortly be allowed on singletrack trails. And nobody's enforcing away the class 1 bikes.

Because the forest service realizes that the wave is impossible to turn back.
Rod, from where (geographically) are you speaking?

I am not deeply involved in policy making in Summit County but am a member of SCOMBA (and hence IMBA) and read the local paper so I think I'm in the loop. I'm not seeing much ink about permitting class 1 bikes on singletrack. Lots of the land that is developed for mt biking here is USFS but there is also a lot of County and town owned land as well as ROWs on private land that support our system.

I'm not intrinsically against class 1 e-bikes on singletrack but if you know something about imminent rule changes, I'd like to hear about your sources.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Rod, from where (geographically) are you speaking?

I am not deeply involved in policy making in Summit County but am a member of SCOMBA (and hence IMBA) and read the local paper so I think I'm in the loop. I'm not seeing much ink about permitting class 1 bikes on singletrack. Lots of the land that is developed for mt biking here is USFS but there is also a lot of County and town owned land as well as ROWs on private land that support our system.

I'm not intrinsically against class 1 e-bikes on singletrack but if you know something about imminent rule changes, I'd like to hear about your sources.
I'm in Tahoe, but there are other areas in California where the usf said rule changes coming and in the meantime no enforcement.

It would be really hard to believe that the outcome will be other than full access to class 1 bikes.
Like everywhere else in the world.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm in Tahoe, but there are other areas in California where the usf said rule changes coming and in the meantime no enforcement.

It would be really hard to believe that the outcome will be other than full access to class 1 bikes.
Like everywhere else in the world.
It'll be curious to see how things hit the dirt in areas mixed jurisdictions. USFS, county and towns work together a lot around here and the latter two may have to just suck it up to continue that relationship.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
IIRC, Tahoe National Forest opened to class 1 E-bikes a few years ago & then closed back up. Still illegal in ElDorado NF. I’m not holding my breath.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Easier climbs are even easier after doing some harder climbs.

I think @utskier would be well served by a lower-level carbon road bike to use during the week for fitness rides, then he can MTB on the weekends. The guy can flat out ride on moderate climbs and downhill he hauls a**.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think @utskier would be well served by a lower-level carbon road bike to use during the week for fitness rides, then he can MTB on the weekends.
A rider used to XT level components steeping (way) down to "lower Level" Is going to be an adjustment. that is akin to being used to say...a Stockli AR with properly fit 130 flex boots to a $399 package ski and 80 flex boots.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A rider used to XT level components steeping (way) down to "lower Level" Is going to be an adjustment. that is akin to being used to say...a Stöckli AR with properly fit 130 flex boots to a $399 package ski and 80 flex boots.

That's not as much of a complete analogy these days. Ever seen GCN's blind test between Dura-Ace R9100 and 105 R7000? Their very experienced riders couldn't really tell the difference in most cases. In MTB it's more of a free-for-all, with 10, 11, and 12 speed setups all seeing a lot of popularity - the road ecosystem is primarily 11 speed with 12 speed catching on and 10 speed dying off. Gravel is more-or-less a similar free-for-all to MTB.

Don't sell the lower end groups short! I have Ultegra R8000 on my Moots. I've ridden both Dura-Ace R9100 and 105 R7000. There's a tactile difference in the levers inasmuch as Dura-Ace (and Ultegra) have carbon levers and 105 is alloy, but the shifting action is almost indistinguishable between the three. There was a difference between the first-generation 11-speed stuff (DA R9000/Ultegra R6800/105 R5800), but with the latest stuff the action is practically identical.

Anywho...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
EBike bonus: When you leave the house and the AQI is reasonable but then the smoke rolls in and it goes from 50 to 170. Bump that sucker up to TURBO mode and get home without breathing so hard . See? Ebikes are healthier!:thumb::ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online