• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Just another E-bike thread....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We did take a tandem out from the shop one time. It was actually pretty funny. I have trust issues, though...I hated sitting in the back except I would sit passively and let him pedal, hehe.
In bold.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was die in the wool Shimano and I am using Sram w/o issue. Yes, I missed the index finger shifing at first...not any more.
He has SRAM now, so it's not that, it's just NX vs. X01. He's fine with SRAM overall. My Shimano XT is honestly having more adjustment issues than my Eagle GX did. Shop owner says the cassettes are wearing out faster on them. I'll take replacing a chain over a cassette any day.

Right now, beggars can't be choosers, as we all know.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We saw a couple on a tandem MTB a few weeks ago...on not beginner trails! We're talking legit singletrack with switchbacks and rocks and all. An "older" couple at that. We marveled at them a bit. There might have been a statement like, "oh HELL no!"

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Shop owner says the cassettes are wearing out faster on them. I'll take replacing a chain over a cassette any day.
You will sell the bike before it needs replaced anyway.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@AKMINK has officially joined the eMTB gang. It's been probably 15 years since she's been on a bike. Whether she wants to get nuts is yet to be seen. In the mean time she'll be using her new-to-her Trek Rail 5 when we go glamping and visit Lummi Island. Baby steps!
View attachment 136330
I'm pretty stoked that she got this bike. I think we'll do some trips to the farmer's market and some such.
Our friend who rides with @Tricia also got a Rail 5 a few days ago. So in our group we have two olive green Cannondale Habit Neo and two army green Trek Rail 5's..just call us "Gang Green". Oh and @Tricia's black & purple E-Caliber.
You keep saying that like its clever. :facepalm:
I'm perfectly happy to have the "Violet Hammer".
Gangrene isn't much better.
@Philpug see??? I'm not the only one.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe I’m weird. I buy the frame and don’t worry about the parts too much knowing they’ll eventually wear out or break, at which point I think about upgrades.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
He has SRAM now, so it's not that, it's just NX vs. X01. He's fine with SRAM overall. My Shimano XT is honestly having more adjustment issues than my Eagle GX did. Shop owner says the cassettes are wearing out faster on them. I'll take replacing a chain over a cassette any day.

Right now, beggars can't be choosers, as we all know.
One bonus of emtb is he probably won't be shifting as much. Less wear and tear on cassettes and derailleurs so he might be happy with the NX, at least for the time being. It should get him through the component drought.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One bonus of emtb is he probably won't be shifting as much. Less wear and tear on cassettes and derailleurs so he might be happy with the NX, at least for the time being. It should get him through the component drought.

Sadly, not the case. E-mtbs put serious torque through the chain and cassette. Much more than most humans, to the point that Shimano has recently introduced an e-drivetrain called Linkglide with fewer, burlier gears, chain, etc.

W/R/T SRAM drivetrain upgrades, remember that you cannot replace a boat anchor NX cassette with a GX or X01 without first replacing the driver. Ask me how I know.......

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sadly, not the case. E-mtbs put serious torque through the chain and cassette.
Good point. I even thought about that, but that was like a week ago!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I recently snapped my first chain in over a decade. Makes sense.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean.. if you think about it. Typical rider is capable of maybe 250w for a minute? Now you have a motor giving you 250w for a significant period of time. You're exceeding the average user's power by quite a bit. Pro rider territory really... So don't cheap out on chains and cogs.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
He's holding off for now. Has tossed around ordering a less expensive road or gravel bike. Was advised he will want to have a bike in addition to an e-bike. They are heavy and we do a lot of venturing with our bikes, and it would be a PITA to push around, etc.

Bonus of having a road/gravel bike is he could work on stamina without pushing so hard. Our friends in their late 60s have road or gravel bikes that they ride regularly and they are strong riders on the MTB as a result.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well, good luck.

I apologise for phrasing it this way, but I see a lot of focus on obstacles to riding, instead of spotting chances to ride and seizing them. The cycling version of looking at trees instead of between them.
( I even have a fairly polished rant about this syndrome, available elsewhere on the forum.)

Side note: If cost is an issue, converting a hardtail to monstercross/gravel spec is very much a thing. And quite often results in bikes that are better descenders and better at washboard, potholes, ruts and sandy surface than all-road bikes twice their price.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online