• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Just curious... av speed on flats?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
... on a flat road, or flat section of road, what is a typical speed and gear that you find yourself using? This 'speed' is something you could hold a conversation or sing/humm/whistle a tune while riding. No chest beating, no intervals, no tongue on the bars, and riding alone. If it's changed over time, was it weight loss? Increase in flexibility and change in your riding position? More time/interest? Other factors? If you're slower, why? Age, accident? Illness? Less time or interest? Just curious. :)

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I average about 26-30k on the flat depending. I'm just overweight and not really in great riding shape. Baby steps.. road bike.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
... on a flat road, or flat section of road, what is a typical speed and gear that you find yourself using? This 'speed' is something you could hold a conversation or sing/humm/whistle a tune while riding. No chest beating, no intervals, no tongue on the bars, and riding alone. If it's changed over time, was it weight loss? Increase in flexibility and change in your riding position? More time/interest? Other factors? If you're slower, why? Age, accident? Illness? Less time or interest? Just curious. :)

I honestly don't know because there is so little flat road here.

Getting faster is all about time in the saddle without illness or injury mucking up the works. I've been a steaming pile of failure the last couple years - and never a strong roadie anyway - but before that I was always amazed at how a small handful of well executed 50 - 75 mi rides suddenly made me hugely faster on a 15 - 30mi ride.

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Who's riding compact 34 x ? , vs. mid compact 52× 36 vs 'standard' 53 × 39 cranksets? (The funny thing is way back in the day, 52 x 42 was standard.)

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I honestly don't know because there is so little flat road here.

Same. So much so that, while I'm on the big side for a cyclist, I suck at the flats.

Plus, I ride with an old Garmin Edge 500, and it seems like EVERYBODY gets higher mileage than me on any given ride.

Who's riding compact 34 x ? , vs. mid compact 52× 36 vs 'standard' 53 × 39 cranksets? (The funny thing is way back in the day, 52 x 42 was standard.)

My gravel Checkpoint has compact 50 x 34. For the hills around here, I've set it up with an 11-40 XTR cassette.

I've got a new Emonda coming (after two years without a road bike) and it will have 48 x 35 etap cranks, and I'll fit it with a 12-speed 10-36 cassette.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm riding a bastard 50 x 36 setup because, well, I couldn't get a 48 outer! It's new, so the jury is still out. I don't like those huge chainring jumps.

For decades I've thought I'd be fine with a cogset starting at 14. That would allow close ratios without forcing me down to a 26 or whatever on the big end in back.

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I've ridden a 53 × 39 forever, but have a 52 x 36 in the closet... I almost never find the 11 cog, but the 12 does come out to play downhill . A 36 × 28 is going to be nice. Usual cruising on the flats gearing is 53 x 19 or 17, generally 18-20 (21-22 innthe 17) mph. Used to be much lighter and faster, especially uphill, but was putting WAAAY more mileage and racing in. Now a days, anything over 50-55 miles just isn't that interesting unless with 2 or 3 friends and NO interest in racing other than watching on tv . 30-40 miles is nice with time to take care of life, and no, riding is not at the center of that universe. :)

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think for me I'd say about 18 mph flat with no wind. Gear, maybe a 50x19? 17?

Last edited:
TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Plus, I ride with an old Garmin Edge 500, and it seems like EVERYBODY gets higher mileage than me on any given ride.

What IS with that? I have one too. Nothing changes in my cadence, but speed will jump all over the place if there are any trees around. But all in all, it does what little I need it to do. I'm sort of a luddite when it comes to bike electronics... "hold on, I have to charge batteries before I can shift gears"... is not something I anticipate saying pretty much ever.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Usually use the bigger sprocket on the front (52), and the smallest of 5 on the back hardly ever use anything but the smallest three gears, and almost never use the granny gear (I counted the front, but the backs too hard and I'm too lazy to count 'em).

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m slow but on the odd occasion that I find myself on a sustained flat and I feel like I’m happily spinning away I’m usually around 17ish mph I think. But it’s so rare that I don’t really know. I haven’t a clue on gearing. Seriously, it’s whatever feels comfortable on that day.

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Usually use the bigger sprocket on the front (52), and the smallest of 5 on the back hardly ever use anything but the smallest three gears, and almost never use the granny gear (I counted the front, but the backs too hard and I'm too lazy to count 'em).

So you ride 40-50 kph on the average flat section of road?

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
Bearing in mind that, back in the day, your smallest rear cog was probably a 13t or maybe a 12t. Even a 53/12 is a lower gear than 50/11. I'm the wrong(right?) side of 60 and the last time I was bike-fit was probably 2001. On a flat road with a good surface I'm probably comfortable up to 28-30 kph and I ride a compact 50-34 and 11-32 cassette. No long rides for me though----rarely do I get up to 2 hours.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
About 17 mph seems to be the flat cruising speed on Z2 rides at the moment, but it's difficult to tell with all our short sharp hills and traffic lights to break up the momentum. A bit faster when I'm in shape. I measure my power in W/kg because it makes me feel better about being slow.

I ride with an ancient Garmin Edge 800, but paired with a wheel speed sensor so it smooths out the spikes a bit.

Good old 50x34. Thinking of swapping out the 34 for a 36. My fitness is such that if I'm in a comfortable cadence I'm always cross chained right now. Bike came from its previous owner with an 11-32 cassette which is going to get swapped for a 12-28 when it finally dies. Shimano's 11-32 has a really awkward gap right in the middle.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Since I only run a single front ring I’ll never be able to reach the top speed of folks with doubles. Add in a wide range rear cassette speeds are more variable due to wider spacing.

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
NO I ride 15 mph to 20 mph, That's 24 kph to 32 kph. Were you working for NASA when they blew the Mars mission? ;)

If you're riding in a 52 × 12 ( smallest cog as you said), you must be a grinder then. 80-90 rpm''s and you'd be going faster. No worries. It's a style, not a judgement. I'm certainly not a Froome crazy spinner myself. Getting out for a bit of rolling zen and some fitness is all that really matters.

Last edited:

Sponsor