• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Just curious... av speed on flats?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Do you think you might have been overtraining on the bike, before the landscaping project diverted your time and attention?

I remember reading an article years ago that seemed to include some actual data showing well over half of any Cat1 field was overtrained when they showed up to a race.

Could very well be. At one point in my cycling progression - while I was busy building companies - I was definitely "over tapered". I also prefer "attacking of the back" as opposed to "being dropped". Always an optimist.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
How are any except racers in training able to know how fast they are moving? I've never been on a ski run that had say a speed gun showing speeds. So unless someone describes how they were actually timed so, isn't this all vague estimations?

On flats, I with ski's made for fast turning, just ski fast enough to reach the end of whatever flats without unnecessary poling. So yeah not very fast. Skiing fast can be dangerous to one's body if a ski catches an edge, so I have gone slow for decades because I prefer keeping my body safe and healthy and now after decades skiing, as a senior still ski at an elite level.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
How are any except racers in training able to know how fast they are moving? I've never been on a ski run that had say a speed gun showing speeds. So unless someone describes how they were actually timed so, isn't this all vague estimations?

On flats, I with ski's made for fast turning, just ski fast enough to reach the end of whatever flats without unnecessary poling. So yeah not very fast. Skiing fast can be dangerous to one's body if a ski catches an edge, so I have gone slow for decades because I prefer keeping my body safe and healthy and now after decades skiing, as a senior still ski at an elite level.

We're talking about bikes. ;) There's any number of speedometer designs for bikes, from magnet based to GPS based.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Oh yeah, drafting makes a huge difference. I've been in a couple pacelines on big group rides where I've been wondering "who is pulling this???". I was doing the MS150 ride from Boston to P-town (end of Cape Cod) one year and got into a paceline a few miles from the end... Whoever was at the front was pushing 25, 30mph :eek: which is my all-out sprint... Sitting back a few slots was pretty comfy. People were rotating off the front and I was in about second or third place and was wondering what I was going to do when my turn at the front came
You can always rotate right off.

If your ego allows it...:ogbiggrin:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
We're talking about bikes. ;) There's any number of speedometer designs for bikes, from magnet based to GPS based.

Pretty funny I posted that haha. I ought to look to see which sub-forum some of these threads are under before assuming it is about skiing then looking like a fool. Live and learn.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
50x34, 11x28. Today's 30 mile out and back was 18.5mph for the whole ride. On the longer flat sections I'll usually run 19 - 21mph. Today it was 19.2mph for a 7.15 mile, 104 ft elevation gain with a light tailwind, I'll usually be on the 15 or 17 cog for flats. That's the longest flat Strava segment I have on any of my normal routes.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Im running AXS, 48/35, 10-33. Flats? we dont got no stinking flats here. Rolling terrain, short punchy sections (2-4 mile), 20-23 avg, Its kind of a guess, Most rides are 30-45 miles. Actual avg depends on the climbing. Figure 1.8K-3.5K on avg per ride. Avg moving speed ranges from 14.5-18mph. There's a killer short ride we do for climbing 26 miles, 2600', I'll avg 14.5 on that . my favorite ride is 37 miles with 3,200' (2 long and very steep sustained climbs, one called "the corkscrew") and I target 15.5. I get to the base of the 1st climb which is ~8 miles into the ride, avg 18 or so, Im 14.5 at the top of the pass. It seems no matter how fast you go on the flats, you lose all your time on the climbs. :). A lot depends on head/side winds. Nothing special but I'm happy with it.

Descending speed: I am comfortable up to 45mph, after that I chicken out and tap the brakes. I hate the unpredictable winds at the Bottom of pass's where the mountains open up and you get all kind of crazy shit going on. My 72 Y/o Neighbor I ride with hits 47-48 which is about terminal velocity.

Gravel Bike: AXS, 46/33, 10-33 for little more range on loose climbs. Avg there goes down to 14.-15.5 on most rides same distances as road.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gravel Bike: AXS, 46/33, 10-33 for little more range on loose climbs. Avg there goes down to 14.-15.5 on most rides same distances as road.

You know that Moots just released a new Routt 45, right?! :geek:

As far as gearing, my new Emonda is sitting in the shop for an extra day, awaiting arrival of its 10-36 cassette. I want that 33 x 36 combo around once in awhile for our really steep pitches. The knees, they just don't like the high torque/low cadence approach anymore.......

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
You know that Moots just released a new Routt 45, right?! :geek:

yes! I applaud them for stepping the game up and being on the leading edge. In the past, they have always been so conservative on their Geo's. I will probably get a new frame next season but I will have Brad Bingham build it, Brad was a long-time Moots builder and bought out Ericksen Cycles. Im on the BOD of the Tour de Steamboat and our Chair is Katie Lindquist Ericksen (total bad-ass in her own right) , married to Kent Ericksen and one of our main Sponsors (Kent actually founded the TDS). I talked to Brad and thats the frame he's been building for gravel for the past couple of years. I will ride that first though, Not sure I want to go to 71* and I dont need Clearance for a 50. To do that, you need to widen the Q factor and have a longer CS. I wouldn't mind clearance for a 40 (actually 42/43) but right now riding some pretty rough gravel, my 38's (40 actual) are handling it fine. once you go to 40's, you add some significant weight and Im not sure how much you are gaining through added contact patch and grip. I'll demo. Brad rides 40's btw, Bonti GR1's.

the steepest climbs we have are about 14% and for short distances, my compact is handling it fine but the new AXS gearing of 1:1 should help my battered body. :).

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
so for kicks, I did the flattest route I know of, 28 miles with just 989 feet of vert, I avg'd 19.1 moving avg including warm up. I started on Beta Blockers in January and they effectively slow your heart down so it takes a little to get it warmed up, LOL, I guess it better than running too fast like it was.

Last edited:

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
I run 52/36 and either 11-28 or 14-28 cassette. In still conditions on the flat at conversational pace I usually average around 32-34kmh (20-22mph)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Who's riding compact 34 x ? , vs. mid compact 52× 36 vs 'standard' 53 × 39 cranksets? (The funny thing is way back in the day, 52 x 42 was standard.)

I went even lower on my gravel bike-subcompact 46/30 to a 11/34 cassette as I live in a hilly area and there is lotsa climbing every day. It was fine when I was on 38 mm gravel tyres which I ran at about 4 bar.
It is not that fine now when I moved to carbon wheels and 32 mm road tyres at 6 bar as I constantly spin it out.
Thinking of moving back to 50/34 on my next road bike or even 52/36

On your initial question-30-32 km/h is the normal cruise speed when I ride alone. It can go up to 38-40 when drafted but it already requires a bit more effort and holding a conversation is not so effortless.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went even lower on my gravel bike-subcompact 46/30 to a 11/34 cassette as I live in a hilly area and there is lotsa climbing every day.

Same here. Gravel bike has a low of 34 x 40 via a Shimano XTR 11-speed cassette, Wolftooth tanpan, and Wolftooth road link. Works great.

On my new Emonda (rips!) I ponied up for the SRAM AXS version. It's got a 35 x 33 low gear, but I swapped out to a 10-36 cassette, which gives me a low enough gear for almost every paved ride I do.

The AXS stuff works well, but does not have the elegant feel of Shimano shifting in back.

Sponsor

Staff online