• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Justify Your Quiver To the Internet

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Vintage quiver
1969 Hart Jarvlins XXL195 Look / Nevada
1983 Dynamic VR27 203 Marker MMR
1986 Pre 1200 2003 Marker MMR
1988 Rossi 4S 203 Marker MMR

VR27 , Great Hard snow ski
4S best all around straight ski I ever had , these were my second pair, I never thought they would make a better ski

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
How do you like the Fischer? I have an opportunity to get one for short money (over 50% off) Can it handle GS turns or is it more slalom?
The GT's stated radius is 16. So far I had no problems bending the ski into shorter slalom turns or bombing down bumped up groomers full GS mode on.

It is a very confidence inspiring yet friendly ski. At 50% off if is a whale of a deal!

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
Old thread, but a topic that never dies.
Me: 5’9”, 185 #, 63 yo male. Advanced skier. Lives in Quebec, goes out west once a year, for a week or two.

Here is my quiver and the « rationale » for it:

volkl Racetiger FIS SL, 165cm, 13m radius: because ice happens.
Fischer RC4 WC GS 180cm, 18m radius: because ice happens and sometimes, I feel the weight of my age (63 yo)
Kastle FX84, 176 cm, 18m radius: eastern daily driver
Dynastar Legend Mythic Rider: 178cm, 21m radius: former eastern daily driver/rock skis
Dynastar Mythic Light: 178cm, 21m radius: touring skis
Kastle BMX98: 178cm, 24m radius western daily driver, tree ski
Volkl Mantra (2016) full rocker: 177 cm, 21.9 m radius, crud buster
Fischer RC4 GS FIS 35m, 195 cm: for shits and giggles/ cheap speedster.

i used to have a pair of Blizzard Gunsmoke powder skis, but traded them for the Mantras, due to lack of use.
Do I have too many? Do I need more?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Old thread, but a topic that never dies.
Me: 5’9”, 185 #, 63 yo male. Advanced skier. Lives in Quebec, goes out west once a year, for a week or two.

Here is my quiver and the « rationale » for it:

volkl Racetiger FIS SL, 165cm, 13m radius: because ice happens.
Fischer RC4 WC GS 180cm, 18m radius: because ice happens and sometimes, I feel the weight of my age (63 yo)
Kastle FX84, 176 cm, 18m radius: eastern daily driver
Dynastar Legend Mythic Rider: 178cm, 21m radius: former eastern daily driver/rock skis
Dynastar Mythic Light: 178cm, 21m radius: touring skis
Kastle BMX98: 178cm, 24m radius western daily driver, tree ski
Volkl Mantra (2016) full rocker: 177 cm, 21.9 m radius, crud buster
Fischer RC4 GS FIS 35m, 195 cm: for shits and giggles/ cheap speedster.

i used to have a pair of Blizzard Gunsmoke powder skis, but traded them for the Mantras, due to lack of use.
Do I have too many? Do I need more?
The all mountain skis are a little dated. Opportunities to modernize there.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
No justification other than "JUST BECAUSE"

My quiver is aging a bit but as it's all largely post 2010 no need to do anything radical yet as most of it is far from skied out and some of it is not really possible to match (what beats a Shiro for example?). I feel a bit of an urge to add something new and exciting but little to no desire to spend serious cash on that frission. Guess I can afford to wait until the ski industry fixes its supply chain and reverts to bad old habits of over production/over complexity of range and pick up surplus then.

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
No justification other than "JUST BECAUSE"

My quiver is aging a bit but as it's all largely post 2010 no need to do anything radical yet as most of it is far from skied out and some of it is not really possible to match (what beats a Shiro for example?). I feel a bit of an urge to add something new and exciting but little to no desire to spend serious cash on that frission. Guess I can afford to wait until the ski industry fixes its supply chain and reverts to bad old habits of over production/over complexity of range and pick up surplus then.
I wholeheartedly agree!

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
The all mountain skis are a little dated. Opportunities to modernize there.
I am perfectly happy with both Kastles. A few years back, as my BMX 98 had missed a flight connection, I had to rent/demo and I was left less than impressed by both the Brahma and the QST 106 (or was it 102?). I was extremely happy to be reunited with my skis the following day.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I posted in this thread a few years ago when I only had a couple of skis. There is now no longer any justification for my quiver :nono: :ogbiggrin:

Stockli Laser SC
Blossom AM77 (SkiTalk Siderals)
Elan Wingman 82 CTi
DPS Foundation Cassiar 87
Atomic Vantage 90 CTi
Stockli Storm RIder 95

I suppose the only justification I have, is covering a lot of widths... 72, 77, 82, 87, 90, 95. And moving pretty steadily from hard snow to more soft snow oriented. But 6 pairs of skis seems like too many.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Blossom AM 77
Renoun Z90
ON3P Woodsman 102
ON3P Bill Goat 116

An all-indy quiver BTW. Maybe that’s it’s own justification.

My justification for not having more is that I‘m in the PNW where soft snow is much more common than boilerplate, ice or otherwise firm conditions. I just wouldn’t have a good use for anything narrower.

That said, I’ve been moving to narrower daily drivers compared to what most people seem to use around here. This past season I was on the Blossoms 90% of the time, used the Woodsman’s for a few powder days while traveling, and could easily downsize the quiver by replacing the Renoun (the oldest pair in my currently active quiver) and the Woodsman with something in between the two.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am perfectly happy with both Kastles. A few years back, as my BMX 98 had missed a flight connection, I had to rent/demo and I was left less than impressed by both the Brahma and the QST 106 (or was it 102?). I was extremely happy to be reunited with my skis the following day.
My misunderstanding. I assumed you were looking for pretexts! ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
I can’t justify my quiver to myself let alone the internet. It’s a motley crew.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Most (perhaps all) of my quiver would be in the landfill if I wasn't still keeping it around and occasionally using some of it..

1652459205836.png

1652459172429.png

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
I'm looking for a powderish ski (~110) to add to mine, but I need to get outta the midwest to justify it!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t feel the need to justify; just the need to make more room for the next pair.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No need to justify really. I’m one half of a DINK couple and I live in Vermont. That’s my justification.

- Renoun Z90 (purchased used, slotted as my DD ski)
- Liberty V76W (a steal at STP)
- JSkis Whipit in unicorn print (super fun and they have unicorns on them)
- Black Pearl 88 (bought them used for $100 on a whim)
- Black Pearl 78 (need to sell these next fall)

Casually in the market for touring skis. Maybe I’ll rip apart the BP88 and mount some pin bindings on them. They are a super old version. I am also eyeing another pair of J Skis just for fun cuz I’m a sucker for marketing and cool graphics. My husband skis the Metals, Allplays and Masterblasters, and also has Blizzard Firebirds for carvers and an old pair of Kendos kicking around.

I am also trying to recall my snowboard quiver from memory:
- Burton Feelgood girls version (first board ever and my intro to sliding on snow… $50 at Burton sale)
- Jones Twin Sister
- Never Summer Aura
- Weston Riva (purchased 75% off)
- Weston Rise (ditto)
- Capita Space Metal Fantasy
- Spring Break Slush Slasher
- Burton Hometown Hero Split

For some reason I thought I had more boards. Don’t love the Riva so I might sell it. Maybe I’m forgetting one or two.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January