• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kästle FX 95HP vs. Stöckli's SR88/95 for race background

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi all,

I was wondering what people might recommend here.

I am a 30 YO 5 '11 Male east coast skiier with a race background. Last season I switched from some old old racing stock atomic SL & GS skiis for full groomer days to Stöckli WRT 172 and couldn't be happier. It is the perfect ski for good condition days on groomers straddling both GS and SL turnstyles. Now I need a ski that is going to take on the west coast on and off piste in all conditions in the west as well as the really really cruddy snow days on the east coast where the WRT is a bit of a dangerous tool too fully drive. It put me on my ass a couple of times and I realized I needed an alternative. Every time I have tried a 'recreational' ski, or the fat rentals that I get when I've gone west, however, I have always been disappointed with the lack of response and general 'softness'.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

I am trying to decide between Stöckli SR88, SR 95 (184) or the Kästle FX95HP(181).

I think the SR88 might be more enjoyable in less snow, but the SR95 will be much more versatile on days where we're just doing powder and hard pack. The FX sounds like a good ski as well but I don't know enough about it, and haven't really heard any reviews from someone with a race background and its "hard-drivingness" on groomers. Any help would be appreciated.

The most recent MX89 or the New MX88 is your ski. The MX99 is a beast and can be a bit much but it will go through anything.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks for this; I will check out the Bonafide's. May save my wallet and work well. Consensus here seems to be the SR 95's in 183 or Kästle MX99 in 181. The MX99's seem to be difficult to source used, however.

To your point, I have heard the 2015-2017 SR 95's w/ carbon inserts are soft and actually a completely different ski/ worse ski.

The SR95 with the carbon inserts is one of my pairs. It is more soft snow biased, but can still lay trenches. It was one of the better iterations IMHO.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Certainly one of the coolest looking iterations. Absolutely space age, it was a knockout on the shop wall. Was it ‘15/16 and ‘16/17?
B04DBBD4-2E3E-4F9D-A199-E02391F0222C.png

Sponsor