• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KAPPA JOINS U.S. SKI & SNOWBOARD AS OFFICIAL TECHNICAL APPAREL

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier

It seems that all they have in the US store are the US Ski and Snowboard branded jackets and pants. If that's your thing.

Bradski

Booting up
Skier
I would like to see the US store step it up, if this is a meaningful market for Kappa, well, you need to bring in a wider range of your gear available in Europe. I find that my 6 cento 611 is identical to the USSS jacket,with a few tweaks to the USSS team jacket, ( second breast pocket, heavier gauge zip, no powder skirt). The construction of the civilian jacket is excellent, it’s not a detuned version of the team jacket. The insulation, water resistance etc etc, same. This is quality stuff, and unlike the private equity guys who run Spyder I don’t expect to see Kappa at Costco anytime soon.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
After 19 days on the slopes, I can say that definitely the new Kappa USSS jacket and pant have been sold well here in Italy, quite a sizeable number of ppl wearing it in its various iterations.
Saw even some racing club with Kappa uniforms tailored for that club.
As I was saying to someone, one day, the American flag has a powerful draw to people, here.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
the American flag has a powerful draw to people, here.
I ...
I mean ...
I do understand that in a way ...
However ...
Do they ... ?
Oh never mind.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
no matter how often you go, you will never understand the euro desire for team kit
No worries even if you are Euro you still don't get it... at least I don't. National team clothes are something you earn not something you buy. But that's just me, which is proven over and over again on every even smallest ski place (or road/trail for bike/running apparel).

James

Out There
Instructor
We had some young kids from Chile in their team kit, looked pretty sharp. I skied in the summer once in Les 2 Alps and the Italian youth teams were all kitted out in their various jackets and pants.
We had an Italian coach, ex downhiller. Not advisable to try and follow him on the “warmup run”, which was just mach schnell. Maybe it was skewed by him, but I got the sense that Italians really have a thing for downhill.

Nobody

Skier
No worries even if you are Euro you still don't get it... at least I don't. National team clothes are something you earn not something you buy. But that's just me, which is proven over and over again on every even smallest ski place (or road/trail for bike/running apparel).
Well, you know, once upon a time, in the post Tomba years, the then national clothing provider was advertising that for each kit sold, a certain percentage was being devolved to support the National Team (then in budgetary dire straits).
Maybe it's still so nowadays, what with all the logo royalties of pins and badges on a jacket.
What I was referring to is that the American Flag itself is a powerful and sought-after symbol here, for whatever reason. So, obviously, USA Team clothing replica articles sell well. Me myself would be tempted to purchase one, but my budget doesn't allow for that, not this year at least, so I'll pass. After all, the EA7 Italian Team clothing replica is available for sale as well at shops, but I haven't seen many of those out in the public, at least not at my area.
We had some young kids from Chile in their team kit, looked pretty sharp. I skied in the summer once in Les 2 Alps and the Italian youth teams were all kitted out in their various jackets and pants.
We had an Italian coach, ex downhiller. Not advisable to try and follow him on the “warmup run”, which was just mach schnell. Maybe it was skewed by him, but I got the sense that Italians really have a thing for downhill.

Ah, yes, usually in my area most teams wear "Vitalini" kits or "Energia Pura" ones, other teams are starting to go to Kappa. Other providers are "JAAM" (provider of the ski instructors/ski coaches national associations)... and "Hey". Kits are purchased by the teams, in colour of their choice,with their own logo and (hopefully) sponsors.
Concerning the mach schnell thing...
Downhill only, not so sure. "Speed" in general, yes...
For sure, ski instructors/ race coaches here, being 97% of racing background extraction, have a penchant for speed

As for the "general skiers' population"
Most of the skis sold here are GS or GS-like-racecarvers models (oftentimes, just the top sheets saying "GS" or "Race", what's under the covers, is another story)...A colleague of mine, general skier like me, used to boast that he would ski on SG skis only because he liked speed.
I had my doubts about that for at least two reasons
-To use real SG skis out in public, on an open to the public run, would spell disaster, or really badly skiing technique to keep speed in check, let alone finding one pair for sale...so, in the end, the user wouldn't enjoy it, not to mention if he/she would hit someone...
-I already feel uncomfortable skiing out of a GS course my R>21mt GS skis (not to mention the R>25 mt ones). I do it, but it means that I am on the lookout for "traffic" even more than what I usually do.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Nobody at least for Austria it's still so, and OSV gets pretty good money out of it. I know it's good thing for everyone involved, but I still can't help it to think that national team clothes are to be earned with sport success not with gold credit card. Maybe it has something to do with once being on that side, where I had to earn to wear national team clothes.
As for this Kappa thing, I'm not really sure it's US flag, but I would say it's Kappa/EA7 thing. Italian team clothes are most seen everywhere where I have been, exception is Austria, but even there, there's plenty of people in Italian team clothes. I haven't see any other team clothes to be this popular as Italian (and now US), so I would say people obviously think they look cool. Once again, I guess I'm the only one who thinks they are one of worse looking ones, which obviously tells I have very poor taste :rolleyes:
PS: SG skis really are the most fun skis of all. There's not much options to use them, as you need to have really empty resort, but when there's option for that, they really are most fun skis of all.

Nobody

Skier
I understand what you sayin', yes the "look at me I'm cool (because I wear a National Team uniform)" factor is very important to some...

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
After all, the EA7 Italian Team clothing replica is available for sale as well at shops, but I haven't seen many of those out in the public, at least not at my area.
See a fair few in the VdA, but more often it's the older Kappa FISI stuff, some of it going back years.
Ah, yes, usually in my area most teams wear "Vitalini" kits or "Energia Pura" ones, other teams are starting to go to Kappa. Other providers are "JAAM" (provider of the ski instructors/ski coaches national associations)... and "Hey". Kits are purchased by the teams, in colour of their choice,with their own logo and (hopefully) sponsors.
You'd think ski racing existed here only to sell clothes.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.