• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KAPPA JOINS U.S. SKI & SNOWBOARD AS OFFICIAL TECHNICAL APPAREL

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Alpine, Nordic {including Jumping}, all of the freestyle disciplines, snowboarding….
Like maybe one. Who knows.
Why not? Kappa do all that for the FISI too. Are they concerned they won't get the same focus from the supplier, or is it "just" about independence within the organisation?
I realize I live a very sheltered and unsophisticated existence here in Upstate NY, but does Kappa have any retail presence in the US? I assume like most sponsorships the goal is to sell more stuff, not that the average consumer or even casual skier pays any attention to what the US Ski Team members are wearing. For example, I like Briko goggles, but good luck finding a pair to try much less purchase.
Could it have as much to do with the European market? The US ski team is a brand in Europe. The US itself is a brand in Europe. Enough for Energiapura to do stars and stripes jackets without any official connection. The US skiers themselves are media savvy, and they've had dominant individual athletes constantly in the European press for years now. Did the US as a whole team wearing Spyder shift the gear? Maybe not, never saw it advertised that way in Europe. But the media presence of Miller, Vonn, Shiffrin?
Another reason for this wild speculation - the US certainly has the largest number of skiers, but to what extent do they see skiing as a fashion show to the extent it is in Europe?
And to compare with individual sponsorships - how much pasta sauce does ski racing sell in the USA?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Another reason for this wild speculation - the US certainly has the largest number of skiers, but to what extent do they see skiing as a fashion show to the extent it is in Europe?
I think many US skiers see ski clothing as technical gear, like skis, not as fashion. (Obviously technical gear IS a fashion, so lots of gray area there.) They want to show off how ready they are for backcountry / bad weather / deep snow. It has less than nothing to do with racing or conventional notions of fashion.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think many US skiers see ski clothing as technical gear, like skis, not as fashion. (Obviously technical gear IS a fashion, so lots of gray area there.) They want to show off how ready they are for backcountry / bad weather / deep snow. It has less than nothing to do with racing or conventional notions of fashion.

You calling them boys out there posers?

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
That was my impression. Your idea of an accessory is duct tape. Europe is more fashion-oriented, particularly Italy. Not just thinking Bognor and Sportalm, but including club ski racing, from what I can see. Compare an Arctica catalogue with one by Energiapura or Vitalini.

ou calling them boys out there posers?
If he's not, I will :-D

And ski racing is used to sell stuff in Europe. Never mind ski clothing - it's used in mainstream ads for noodles, frozen veg, chocolate, fruit juice, watches, beer, insurance. Okay, thinking more of Austria here, and can't think it shifts as much as the federations imagine, but there's people skiing bolt upright with their heels pressed together wearing full knuckle protection by LEKI.

Kappa are getting another slice of ski racing plus America and all that comes with it. In Europe, you can use that to sell all sorts. Rough trousers, crap food, even a European ski resort. Pre-Bond, Sölden sold themselves on the USST. Do you hear as much about partnerships with the Norwegians?

Pure speculation. But while you see Kappa gear in Italy, it's not like everyone's wearing it, despite the FISI contract. Haven't seen it in Austria, so that means Germans aren't buying it either. Maybe they want to change that. Have certainly seen it in other sports - big global company comes along to a sport they weren't involved in, lands national team contracts and suddenly it's stocked in all the shops.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Watch for a LOT more USST spyder gear appearing on Sideline swap. The team and all the associated hangers on always sold at least some of the gear but usually kept some previous season gear for early season training. Now of course they will need to be in the new Kappa branded gear

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was at Sierra Trading Post today and saw these on the rack. $179.00
IMG_3008.jpeg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
USSS has been unloading their Spyder stuff fairly quickly. They distributed a nice 6-panel baseball cap (full USST branding and the blue camo) to all attendees at my L200 clinic at Hood this July.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
All the while Kappa has "lost" the honour to sponsor the national team in favour of Armani...
A bitter legal battle is being had...expect to see the italian athletes going around half dressed...tee hee!

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I personally preferred the Kappa uniforms, for general appearance and for the colour choices. Never completely liked the uniforms Armani EA7 has equipped the italian teams in the recent past (Olympics etc ).
But...this is a bu$in€$$ decision...

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Gumball Dubai starts tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if there is liberal use of the Kappa logo's like Gumball here in NA.
probably?

Bradski

Booting up
Skier
Coming in a bit late…I’ve had a season with Kappas kit, the 6cento 611 jacket and pants, and I even managed a few days in a USSS issue jacket. Well, I like them. The fit is perfect for me, not too long or bagged out, yet cut very nicely where needed. The quality of the build is excellent, with a strong feature set. I simply can’t find fault with this stuff and I’ve skied a lot of it over the years. US distribution is just about zero at the moment other than the US web site, maybe once he ball gets rolling who knows. For now my sourced in Italy 611 is my go-to when skiing the resort. Cheers all.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Coming in a bit late…I’ve had a season with Kappas kit, the 6cento 611 jacket and pants, and I even managed a few days in a USSS issue jacket. Well, I like them. The fit is perfect for me, not too long or bagged out, yet cut very nicely where needed. The quality of the build is excellent, with a strong feature set. I simply can’t find fault with this stuff and I’ve skied a lot of it over the years. US distribution is just about zero at the moment other than the US web site, maybe once he ball gets rolling who knows. For now my sourced in Italy 611 is my go-to when skiing the resort. Cheers all.
:useless: