• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

For Sale Kastle MX89s, 179cm; Spring ski setup (Inc boots and ski crampons)

goran

Booting up
Skier
Located in Alpine Meadows, willing to ship.

$400 Kastle MX89, 180cm.
Tyrolia demo bindings (1 mount)

These skis are in outstanding shape. I bought them at the end of last year from the first owner, they were not part of a demo fleet and have put maybe 5 days on them. Turns out I just have too many skis in this size range and something has to go. At first I found them to not engage very well, and then I realized that the previous owner had a 2.5* base bevel. I ground them flat and put a 1* base bevel on them, and I put a 3* edge bevel on using a grinder. The tune is really nice now and the skis are well behaved with tons of edge and life left.

SOLD $300 Spring setup:
28.5 Dynafit TLT5 Performance boots, bushings re-pressed about 15 ski days ago.
178cm BD Guru skis (~1300g each)
Dynafit Speed Superlite bindings (~200g each)
G3 Alpinist skins (never any glue issues with these)
BnD ski crampons

I used this setup for volcanoes, long ski tours, approaching ice climbs, climbing ice routes, etc. It is a tremendous setup and I am only selling because I finally updated the backcountry quiver. I think it is priced to sell at $300, but make an offer if you think it's high. My goal is to get these on someone's feet.

PXL_20220316_061852071.jpg

Last edited:
TS
goran

goran

Booting up
Skier
Are those MX89's mounted significantly rearward?
They have demo bindings. I didn't check if the center of the track put my boot at the centerline, but after experimentation I put myself forward of the binding track center by 1 or 2 clicks, which I think that amounted to 10-15mm forward. I'd actually advise most people to experiment with mount point on these skis; I usually like a fairly traditional mount point, but the first position I tried on these skis left the tips feeling a bit vague and sliding forward just a bit really helped with turn initiation.

stuckinphilly

Putting on skis
Skier
I own a pair of MX89 and they are mounted on the line. The Toe of the binding just touches the black diagonal line on the front of the ski. The sticker you have on there would be totally covered on my pair. Hence my confusion. That binding looks at least 4-5cm back to me.

TS
goran

goran

Booting up
Skier
I own a pair of MX89 and they are mounted on the line. The Toe of the binding just touches the black diagonal line on the front of the ski. The sticker you have on there would be totally covered on my pair. Hence my confusion. That binding looks at least 4-5cm back to me.
I took a look at mine just now, and they're definitely not 4-5cm back. It looks like the demo track is centered on the line.

I've definitely seen pretty broad variations in topsheet graphics - a few weeks ago I had a minor panic until I realized the topsheets on two skis in a pair were different by 3cm, not the binding mounts.

TS
goran

goran

Booting up
Skier
I should have bumped the kastles a few months ago, but better late than never. To be fair, they're a great ski for skiing fast in the spring!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid