• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kastle Ski Question for the Kastle Gearheads

Clax

Booting up
Skier
I have a pair of MX88's that are a few years old (2012 models), and they are great skis. I've just recently purged some skis that I wasn't using, and I have held onto the MX88's (and a couple of other skis).

Question for people that have gear addiction (like me)...if I was to sell the MX88's, would the suitable replacement be the MX89, or MX84? This ski will be used mostly for frontside on-piste ski days, with not much fresh snow. I have other skis for off-piste and deeper snow.

What can you tell me about either of those skis in comparison to the MX88?

Thanks in advance for your gearheadedness...

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have same ski and its a great ski , It loves a little loose snow under it , If you want something with more grip on the hard MX 84, if your not going Mach 1 the MX 74 is great on white concrete. It really depends on the conditions. I had the Mx74 out in fresh snow one day (8") and it was not real fun. IMO its a hard snow ski only, The MX 88 are quite a bit more versatile . I believe the 89 is an updated 88 and the 84 is a bit more of a hard snow groomer ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Really depends on how you are setting your quiver up. I wouldn't throw either of these beauties out of bed for eating crackers...if you know what I mean.

LowPressureKarl

Putting on skis
Skier
I liked the 84 more than the 89.
I have the MX84, MX98 and the MX108, along with a whole bunch of other skis.

The MX84 is my hard snow DD and much more versatile than the FA84.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm with Phil. Both the 84s and the 89s will be great skis, but it depends on what you have in the narrower / wider part of your quiver. For example, if you have wider skis and you're looking for this to be your front side ski the narrower option is the logical choice (between those two). If you have a dedicated carving ski that you love, and you have a fat powder ski, then perhaps the 89 will fit better in between those skis.

I've been a Kastle fan for years. I have the MX78 (184), MX88 (178), FX94 (186) and I've demoed the MX89 and the MX84 on a couple of occasions. Trouble is they're all very capable across a wide range of conditions and the overlap is huge. The MX78 is the ski I would keep if I had to have only one pair. On the other hand the old MX83 would probably be a better bet under those same circumstances. Scale my (old) opinions up to the MX84 in the latest Kastle range ... the 78 died away, alas.

If you're looking for a front side, no-new-snow ski then the 84 seems to be the obvious choice.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I'm a huge Kastle fanboy and have the RX SL, RX GS, MX 84, MX 98, and BMX 128. The MX 84 is my main ski, and I generally put 70-80 days a year on it. It has huge versatility -- I ski it in fresh up to 6-8 inches, off-piste, in bumps, pretty much everywhere on the mountain. I go through 1 a season.

Mike

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm a huge Kastle fanboy and have the RX SL, RX GS, MX 84, MX 98, and BMX 128. The MX 84 is my main ski, and I generally put 70-80 days a year on it. It has huge versatility -- I ski it in fresh up to 6-8 inches, off-piste, in bumps, pretty much everywhere on the mountain. I go through 1 a season.

Mike
Thats the one thing about Kastle...people try to collect the whole set ;)

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the same year MX88 as the OP along with the FX94 and BMX105. I find myself on the FX more and the MX88 less. I adore the MX88 but where I ski the most (No. VT) the FX is a bit more versatile.

So, to the original question. If I was looking for a replacement for frontside I’d probably still go with the MX88(9). I’m sure the 84 is a bit quicker edge to edge but I’ve never ever felt the 88 was lacking on our typical east coast snow conditions. When I’m in No. VT it’s the FX94 and everywhere else in NE it’s the MX88. The bonus with the 89 over the 84, IMO, is that it plows through junk snow like it’s not there. Maybe the 84 does as well but I think the 88 would be a bit more versatile for changing conditions over the course of a day or weekend.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The original FX's particularly the 94 were stellar skis, the only problem with them was the sizing, Kästle was still doing 10cm increments at the time and too many people fell in between sizes.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have a pair of MX88's that are a few years old (2012 models), and they are great skis. I've just recently purged some skis that I wasn't using, and I have held onto the MX88's (and a couple of other skis).

Question for people that have gear addiction (like me)...if I was to sell the MX88's, would the suitable replacement be the MX89, or MX84? This ski will be used mostly for frontside on-piste ski days, with not much fresh snow. I have other skis for off-piste and deeper snow.

What can you tell me about either of those skis in comparison to the MX88?

Thanks in advance for your gearheadedness...

I just demoed the MX89's in 180cm. GET THEM :micdrop::D

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Rossi Hero ST is a great ski. Missed a trick when a 172cm pair came up for sale earlier this year. Kicking myself.