• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kendo alternative?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A good friend of mine has now gone through two pairs of 2023 Kendo's - both delaminating behind the bindings. He loves the ski performance, but is not willing to re-up for a third time. Got ideas about what might be closest comparison? He's a Tahoe skier from Sacramento (so not on mountain for big dumps), 65 y.o., favors steep groomers and some soft bumps, strong advanced skier. He tried my Brahma's and liked the edgehold and strength, but thought they were a bit too heavy and a tad slow.

So far, I've suggested:
Salomon Stance 90
Nordica Enforcer 88
K2 MIndbender 89ti
Rossignol Experience 86cti.

Thoughts? Strengths/weaknesses? C/C?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there a Kendo alternative? Maybe not. :)

Which Brahma did you offer, and at what length?
To be an alternative to the Kendo, you might have to go shorter on the 88, by a size: say a 173 if you'd normally go one size longer.
That would maximize ability on steeps. (And be "quicker and less heavy.") That would more closely match the Kendo.
The last generation Brahma 88 version (say, 2020, which actually had a 173) had more of the dialed in carve in common with the current Kendos,
thus more in the groove quickness - plus more dampness. A good pair for sale now from a good source:

I have taken this particular "used Brahma" route myself in the past year, and found it five star successful.
(And I too am an admirer of the current Kendo.)

Another possibility might be the Brahma 82, which would be quicker and less heavy also.

(The others you listed are farther from the Kendos, in my experience, whatever their nice traits:
not sure I'd find any of them to be a Kendo equal on steeps, for instance.)

Last edited:

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Fischer Ranger 90
Atomic Maverick 88 Ti
Rossignol Experience 86 Ti
Fischer RC One 86 GT (although this ski is NOT light)

TS
tch

tch

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, my Brahma's are the 20-21 version, 173 length. His Kendo's are 170. Friend weighs 150, 5'8".

Coolhand, does Fischer Ranger give up too much in hard-snow, carving chops?

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
FWIW, my Brahma's are the 20-21 version, 173 length. His Kendo's are 170. Friend weighs 150, 5'8".

Coolhand, does Fischer Ranger give up too much in hard-snow, carving chops?
Carves pretty well for it's build. Had mine out yesterday on some firm-ish snow and they held really well. Better than I would have expected. I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't say that they would be ideal on true hard or ice. Kendo and Brahma are definitely stronger on really hard snow. But even those two have limitations for those conditions. Skis a little "short" so I'd recommend sizing up.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Fischer RC One 86 GT (although this ski is NOT light)
Can confirm. Don't go with this one if you want something that feels 'lighter than a Brahma.' But based on construction, you are going to have a really hard time getting them to delaminate.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
A good friend of mine has now gone through two pairs of 2023 Kendo's - both delaminating behind the bindings. He loves the ski performance, but is not willing to re-up for a third time. Got ideas about what might be closest comparison? He's a Tahoe skier from Sacramento (so not on mountain for big dumps), 65 y.o., favors steep groomers and some soft bumps, strong advanced skier. He tried my Brahma's and liked the edgehold and strength, but thought they were a bit too heavy and a tad slow.

So far, I've suggested:
Salomon Stance 90
Nordica Enforcer 88
K2 MIndbender 89ti
Rossignol Experience 86cti.

Thoughts? Strengths/weaknesses? C/C?
Only other question is who is mounting the Kendos for him? Maybe some flaw (ie unsealed threads) in the way they are mounted is encouraging the delam?

TS
tch

tch

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Only other question is who is mounting the Kendos for him? Maybe some flaw (ie unsealed threads) in the way they are mounted is encouraging the delam?
Mounting was done by a business I won't name here but trust. Delamination is where metal section is laid into ski. It looks pretty absolutely like a design/construction failure to me. Identical delaminations in both skis at the same spot.

Anyone got comments on my list of potential recommendations?

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
For steep groomers I really like the Rossignol Experience 86 Ti and 82 Ti. They hold like grim death to even the iciest stuff and good cord is nothing more than an invitation to break your own speed records. Very smooth and stable to 50mph which is as fast as I've gone, and I am 240 lbs.

They are lots of fun in other conditions, too.

Sponsor

Staff online