• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keto, Low Carb, Atkins, IF Thread

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
At 9 or ten days I am down 11lbs. I intend to switch to Paleo on Wed. I will also try to get a better understanding of Keto... to be better at doing it and improve the results.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Bumping this thread to say that I somehow have rekindled the magic. I made a slight change in what I'm eating and the timing of my meals and I've lost 15 lbs. in 15 days. I honestly didn't think I could lose weight like this anymore (since I crossed the 50 mark). I keep waiting for the scale to stop moving and the "balloon to pop", but somehow the weight loss just keeps motoring along. Color me very happy right now. :)

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
15 lbs in 15 days, glad to here, Noodler. Over time a plan becomes clear. How to put it into action is just natural. In my case I am talking about how to make use of Paleo. Having these diet strategies available is a really good thing.

I am trying to get an understanding about what my weight should be. I have come back up in weight since stopping Keto. I'm in the 183 to 184 range. It seems like a good place to be. If 185 is where I hold the line, I think I'd be happy, along with some strength gains.

My doctor asked me why I wanted to loose weight. He sees so many over weight customers I think it has affected his thinking. I was a 26 on the index then dropped to 25 eating Keto. That chart does not seem right for me.

When I lose weight my boots don't fit. They become sloppy. So 180lbs seems low.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have to agree on the BMI chart (I think that's what you're referring to). It would have me all the way back to the weight I was when I was in high school (and before I started hitting the weights hard). I was scrawny, yet the BMI considers that normal. My current target weight is still in the "overweight" class on the BMI chart. I'm not going to worry about it though. :)

Max Anderson

Booting up
Skier
I'm mostly a lurker here but someone ran across this thread when I was looking for info on skiing with a meniscus tear. I don't know if I'm really doing a true "keto diet." I downloaded the CarbManager app and have tried to keep my carb intake below 23/day. That's been the extent of my research. I'm not particularly stringent on what I eat but protein is mostly confined to fish and poultry, no red meat. Basically, it seems like my 'regular' diet minus pasta, bread, and sweets. So far, I've lost about 6 lbs in 8 days with about 10 lbs to go before I'm at my target weight. Long term, I don't think I will be completed devoted to "keto" and will gradually re-introduce some fruits but I think I'll avoid refined sugars and processed flour henceforth except for maybe the occasional "cheat" day. If nothing else, this diet has forced me to come to terms with some of my terrible eating habits which were mostly overeating and fattening up on bad carbs. I eat more organic food and have cut out chips, pastries, etc.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not doing keto exactly as I don't count anything. I try to fast at least 16 hours a day, I avoid sugars, grains, artificial sweeteners, and the garbage oils line sunflower and soy bean oils. I first heard of keto when a couple of friends were loosing weight very effectively and my initial response was "what a horrible thing to do to your body." After a couple of years of reading, researching, and listening to speakers and podcast I finally jumped in. I think it was hearing Vinnie Tortorich on a political podcast and his name same group on Facebook that finally convinced me. I did very well the first half of 2019, loosing about 30 lbs before slipping back in to told habits (yes beer is quite tasty). I'm back on board now and have set a goal for myself to loose 30 lbs. (and get in better shape) before our spring break ski trip in April.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I've also adopted a regular "fasting period" each day rather than Intermittent Fasting (IF). I eat at 8 a.m., 12 p.m., and 4 p.m. That leaves a 16 hour fasting period each day. The other alteration is that I've stopped eating much protein in my final meal each day; only eating about 80g of protein split between breakfast and lunch. For about 2 weeks I was losing a pound per day, but of course that finally did slow down. Even so, I started back on this keto diet seriously on Dec. 1 and by Jan 15 I had lost 25 lbs. Considering that was accomplished over the holiday period I consider it a big win. I haven't been this low in over 3 years and I hope to be down another 10 lbs by the end of Feb. (fully expecting the weight loss to become more difficult).

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
It works for sure and it is not really that difficult to do. My method so far has been to drop the weight and then stop Keto. I then try to maintain using Paleo which has been a bit of a challenge for me. My weight does go up, but I am not convinced that the weight I reach with Keto is one that I should maintain.

The term "YO-YO" diet has been in the news and people are talking about it. My weight can go from 178 to 189. I don't like 189 but at 5'10" it just doesn't seem that bad. 178, or so, was my high school swimming weight. The term YO-YO dieting is too easy to toss around. Any weight loss program can be difficult to maintain.

I keep looking for information about what exactly is wrong with Keto. I have recently one thing that is a concern. What Rob Wolf has suggested is that the fat stores are targeted by the body during Ketosis. But what has not been researched is the other parts of the body that are used for energy during the fat burning stage. Wolf says that the intestinal mucous is one critical concern. I can cause leaky gut and that can cause all sorts of problems. Gut health is really important. I will try to look further at this problem. Rob Wolf is the most significant promoter of the Paleo Diet

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If you've delved into Paleo enough to fully "embrace" the philosophy, then it isn't a far stretch to understand that Keto is quite aligned with what Paleo espouses. Humans didn't have high sugar sources in our diets for thousands and thousands of years. We have bred our current fruits and vegetable to have a much higher sugar content than they naturally would have ever had. The birth of farming allowed civilization to settle down and expand at a much faster rate, but with it came huge changes to the way we eat. Going Paleo is practically going Keto without as stringent control over the volume of carbs (although the source of the carbs is controlled).

The real key for Keto's success is in its management of the appetite control hormones. For those of us who cannot survive on a restricted diet using will power alone (or spending our lives counting calories), Keto is a fantastic way of eating.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
The real key for Keto's success is in its management of the appetite control hormones. For those of us who cannot survive on a restricted diet using will power alone (or spending our lives counting calories), Keto is a fantastic way of eating.

That is why I like Keto. "These are the parameters." If you do that you will experience results.

Paleo is very much like Keto. But it's not. One does not go into Ketosis while eating Paleo... generally speaking. Both are nice since you don't count calories or points.

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
I got introduced to Keto myself a little over a year ago. I had taken off two years, one to have a grandson and the second because I was TF fat. I knew I was an accident waiting to happen. I started Keto and IF on Dec 29, 2018 and by June 1st I'd lost 50 pounds. My blood sugar went from 121 to 106. Blood pressure now holding at 105/57 (give or take... in spite of TONS of sodium in my diet). Cholesterol dropped 40 points. A1C went from 5.6 to 5.3.

But as somone else pointed out, it's so easy to fall out of keto. My weakness is almond butter. It's my go-to snack and I can't stop myself from eating far too much of it.

Years ago I was also successful losing 45 pounds with Sugar Busters. It's a low sugar diet, but not as severe as Atkins or Keto.

SpauldingSmails

Uh oh, somebody's wrong on the internet again!
Skier
I tried keto for two weeks, lost ten pounds, but it was too difficult to maintain correctly in a healthy way. One problem with keto is keeping it from becoming cream chugging, bacon scarfing, all the wrong fats kind of diet. I'm doing IF now, that's always worked out for me to maintain weight and composition. 8PM to noon is my preferred window. My obstacle with IF it's breaking the fast with healthy food in smart portion sizes and not grazing. I'm also doing low carb, but refrain from weighing my food this time. I'm just trying to keep it clean but it's hard to stay motivated to keep really clean because I'm still losing weight. However, my goal is lower LDL and higher HDL. I'm doing lots of conditioning and boxing now (compared to only strength training and sprinting before) so I'll find out in a couple months if the conditioning plus the cleanish diet is working.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
USOPC's head nutritionist puts it squarely in the fade category. My wife, who is a full time trainer, has clients that go on it. They loose weight rapidly, and gain it back on 12 - 18 months later. A scenario that many here seem to echo. That should tell you something about its effectiveness.

For a few individuals it will work. But those are genetic anomalies that are few and far between.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I tried keto for two weeks, lost ten pounds, but it was too difficult to maintain correctly in a healthy way. One problem with keto is keeping it from becoming cream chugging, bacon scarfing, all the wrong fats kind of diet. I'm doing IF now, that's always worked out for me to maintain weight and composition. 8PM to noon is my preferred window. My obstacle with IF it's breaking the fast with healthy food in smart portion sizes and not grazing. I'm also doing low carb, but refrain from weighing my food this time. I'm just trying to keep it clean but it's hard to stay motivated to keep really clean because I'm still losing weight. However, my goal is lower LDL and higher HDL. I'm doing lots of conditioning and boxing now (compared to only strength training and sprinting before) so I'll find out in a couple months if the conditioning plus the cleanish diet is working.

How is boxing training a different metabolic delivery system than what you were doing before?

If you had performance metabolic testing conducted you'd likely find that 15 - 18 hours of low intensity training / week would help you get there.

Sponsor

Staff online