• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keto, Low Carb, Atkins, IF Thread

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Try to control your diet purely through will power

That's it.

I found that for me personally, no extreme diet works. Vegan-no, Carnivore/Keto-no, these are not sustainable.
The middle way-eat whatever is on the table but limit the amount of food and number of meals.

I cant imagine cutting carbs on long ride days (150 km+) when I burn 5000+ kcal and I also cant imagine not eating some proteins after that.

As The Buddha said: extremes are to be avoided, Middle way is the way to go... :ogbiggrin:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
That's it.

I found that for me personally, no extreme diet works. Vegan-no, Carnivore/Keto-no, these are not sustainable.
The middle way-eat whatever is on the table but limit the amount of food and number of meals.

I cant imagine cutting carbs on long ride days (150 km+) when I burn 5000+ kcal and I also cant imagine not eating some proteins after that.

As The Buddha said: extremes are to be avoided, Middle way is the way to go... :ogbiggrin:

The "middle" is the home of average, mediocre, and typical. Find greater success by choosing the path less traveled. Until you've experienced the freedom that keto-adaptation provides it's hard to help you understand the power that comes from controlling your blood sugar swings and appetite management hormones. The ultra-marathoners that adopted keto have broken world records in multiple sports.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The "middle" is the home of average, mediocre, and typical.

I respectfully disagree... :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:
Middle way in terms of dieting for me means finding the balance point. I am not sacrificing none of my precious watts for the sake of being 2 kgs lighter :ogbiggrin:
And I hate bacon. And my natural tendency is more towards vegetarian food. So the baked potatoes with ketchup remain firmly on the menu.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's it.

This is exactly why WW worked for us, and is still working.
Some people have no clue what to do for portion control for whatever reason.
  • Never learned how to cook.
  • Was forced to clean up the plate as a child with adult portoins on the plate.
  • Grew up in a house with lots of sweets and indulgences
  • Loves to graze
When I started WW, which has you count point values for different foods based on portion.
I quickly learned that I was using less cream in my coffee than most, that I grazed a lot between meals, and that I had a big appetite for ice cream.
Tracking the point values brought awareness to my eating habits which allowed me to "middle-way".
Keeping in mind that I was not obese, just needed to lose 15 or so pounds, and I already ate pretty healthy.
I had also tried Paleo but I felt like I was depriving myself of something, which made me want it all the more.
WW has allowed me to eat anything I want but be accountable for it, which has taught me a lot about my eating habits in general.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have problems with control over what I eat. Paleo helps me with that but it does require planning. Maybe its as simple as only stocking healthy foods. It is not uncommon for me to eat a loaf of bread in one day and again the next day. That's called obsession. If I buy cookies - I eat it all! So that is one critical objective for weight loss in my case.

Paleo shredds the weight! But it is not that easy to follow. I have used the ww program and that works. But it does require will power, which I apparently lack. I took a lot of weight off when I used that program. I began the learning process by being in ww.

Next, intermittent fasting: no food until after noon. So much emphasis has been placed on the importance of breakfast. I have found that to be untrue - for me. This is the method most doctors to whom I have spoken about control recommend. I find that if I don't eat in the morning my quest for food is suppressed and my energy is not affected. When skiing I feel less bogged down.

Finally, Keto. The weight comes off fast. I know people who use this as their everyday diet for months. That's not for me. Keto can be a nice jump start for Paleo. They are very similar as far as eating is concerned. I also know people who experience issues with obsession with Paleo. The same is true about ww. For me, if I can lessen the temptation of non-Paleo - I don't even think about it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Next, intermittent fasting: no food until after noon. So much emphasis has been placed on the importance of breakfast. I have found that to be untrue - for me. This is the method most doctors to whom I have spoken about control recommend. I find that if I don't eat in the morning my quest for food is suppressed and my energy is not affected. When skiing I feel less bogged down.
The emphasis on breakfast was a pretty big deal when we worked harder. Its something that was meant for farmers and miners and people who burned a gazillion calories before noon. There is a reason most small town diners have a Farmer's Breakfast or Farmer's Omelt on the menu.

We don't need that kind of breakfast.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I respectfully disagree... :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:
Middle way in terms of dieting for me means finding the balance point. I am not sacrificing none of my precious watts for the sake of being 2 kgs lighter :ogbiggrin:
And I hate bacon. And my natural tendency is more towards vegetarian food. So the baked potatoes with ketchup remain firmly on the menu.

A consideration in your situation... 5,000cal a day and serious bike riding. That's really good but not typical. I have heard doctors say "everything in moderation" as they sit with their diabetic patients. That's not good enough. But each person has to arrive at a program, a way of eating that works for them.

bz

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A consideration in your situation... 5,000cal a day and serious bike riding. That's really good but not typical. I have heard doctors say "everything in moderation" as they sit with their diabetic patients. That's not good enough. But each person has to arrive at a program, a way of eating that works for them.

bz
I am hypoglycemic and have actually passed out a few times on or after bike rides because I didn't pay attention to my protien intake. That's an extreme case. I do eat a small breakfast, usually an egg, just so I stay upright. :D

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
in any case, it has to be sustainable and it has to be satisfying. as soon as I hear the word "diet" I can assume its a temporary solution to a long-term issue. too many people are focusing on weight loss without looking at health. in the end, its the health part that is most important.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
in any case, it has to be sustainable and it has to be satisfying. as soon as I hear the word "diet" I can assume its a temporary solution to a long-term issue. too many people are focusing on weight loss without looking at health. in the end, its the health part that is most important.
As usual, @Ron has it about right, but sustainability has less to do with the "diet" than one's underlying behavior. The solution to the "long-term issue" is modification of behavior.
To that end, I started looking into cognitive behavior therapy for weight loss and came up with this wonderful program.

IMG_1624.jpeg

I have to say that it has made embarking upon keto once again a much easier proposition.

Losing weight is really hard, especially when all you change is your "diet."

In fact, Dr. Beck is agnostic as to which diet one chooses; it's all about modifying behavior through cognition. It's day 21 for me, and so far so good.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's it.

My son has been in a medical Keto diet for since 2016ish. Very low carbs and being very competitive in swimming very high calorie count (that 4000-5000), it is not easy to begin with and with that count becomes more difficult.

Let me say it can be done, you need to learn to cook and plan ahead, along with making decisions on fly when away from home. We have travel a far bit and have figured it out. Between you and I he eats healthier overall than anyone else in the family.

Just a warning KETO diets can be dangerous getting and keeping your body in Ketosis is difficult, excessive Ketosis can kill you or cause injury. If you go this route, do it under medical supervision until you learn the does and don’ts.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Just a warning KETO diets can be dangerous getting and keeping your body in Ketosis is difficult, excessive Ketosis can kill you or cause injury. If you go this route, do it under medical supervision until you learn the does and don’ts.

Sorry, but this is just spreading more F.U.D. about keto. Millions of people are now using keto based diets successfully and without any concerns. I've used keto for many years successfully with zero problems getting into and maintaing keto. There is still this confusion about ketoacidosis versus being keto-adapted and achieving nutritional ketosis. Please stop spreading the F.U.D. Educate yourself on the current modern knowledge about keto based diets. I also have a child with epilepsy and totally understand what medical doctors say about the diet. They're simply not up-to-speed on our modern understanding of the diet. They just repeat the same old crap from the inception of the diet in the 1920s.

In other news, I'm down 30 lbs. in 3 months. Nothing else works as well or easily for me as keto. I need a diet that manages the weight control hormones. No will-power required...

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry, but this is just spreading more F.U.D. about keto. Millions of people are now using keto based diets successfully and without any concerns. I've used keto for many years successfully with zero problems getting into and maintaing keto. There is still this confusion about ketoacidosis versus being keto-adapted and achieving nutritional ketosis. Please stop spreading the F.U.D. Educate yourself on the current modern knowledge about keto based diets. I also have a child with epilepsy and totally understand what medical doctors say about the diet. They're simply not up-to-speed on our modern understanding of the diet. They just repeat the same old crap from the inception of the diet in the 1920s.

In other news, I'm down 30 lbs. in 3 months. Nothing else works as well or easily for me as keto. I need a diet that manages the weight control hormones. No will-power required...
Careful there, yes my son has epilepsy and medication wasn’t doing it. We where offered KETO diet 17 years ago.

I’m not arguing that they aren’t effective for weight loss, actually they are, my son when he started dropped 35lbs in about 34 days, again he need a high caloric intake for sports. At the start 10 grams of Carbs per day, now he holds about 20-25grams per day. This is way more strict than weight loss and also counted differently.

As to dangers we personally know of one death KETO/heart related, so there are dangers.

As to medical info, we stay extremely current as to what's going on, so again no need to nasty. Diet info for KETO weight loss is very misleading and not fully disclosed.

All I’m say is use a little caution, if you take it seriously, it is a tough diet but very doable and varied. If done wrong it can have serious side effects health wise. Done correctly, it can still have serious side effects (liver, kidney and heart).

@Noodler PM me personally and we can talk.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Careful there, yes my son has epilepsy and medication wasn’t doing it. We where offered KETO diet 17 years ago.

I’m not arguing that they aren’t effective for weight loss, actually they are, my son when he started dropped 35lbs in about 34 days, again he need a high caloric intake for sports. At the start 10 grams of Carbs per day, now he holds about 20-25grams per day. This is way more strict than weight loss and also counted differently.

As to dangers we personally know of one death KETO/heart related, so there are dangers.

As to medical info, we stay extremely current as to what's going on, so again no need to nasty. Diet info for KETO weight loss is very misleading and not fully disclosed.

All I’m say is use a little caution, if you take it seriously, it is a tough diet but very doable and varied. If done wrong it can have serious side effects health wise. Done correctly, it can still have serious side effects (liver, kidney and heart).

FWIW I have had two cardiologists endorse my using it.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FWIW I have had two cardiologists endorse my using it.
Great I’m sure they put you together with someone to start correctly. Like I mentioned earlier, it does work very effectively. My wife has worked up some great recipes that you can’t tell its keto, basically fills all the carb flavors that go missing.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
To be on a Keto diet for 17 years, it makes a lot of sense to listen to qualified doctors. There are concerns with it. But with your sons medical situation it probably offers big benifits. I have seen serious problems with Keto but I use it with caution and in a limited way. I have not heard of any deaths within my circle, but in one case there was a serious heart problem associated with it. It could have been deadly.

For me, I have not had a problem with the Keto diet elevating Cholesterol, but mine has always been quite high and my raitos were terrible. I started taking (injecting) Praluent in November - every two weeks. My total Cholesterol dropped over 100pts. It is not a statin and I am tolerating it. The team that is helping me were especially excited about the ratio of ldl to hdl. I told them that my fasting breakfast is bullet proof coffee.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Keto diets to treat epilepsy are much more aggressive in their macro ratios than keto diets to lose weight. So we may be talking past each other here.

Sponsor

Staff online