• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keto, Low Carb, Atkins, IF Thread

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Well today marks 35 lbs. lost in 4 months. The weight loss has definitely slowed in recent weeks with not a lot left to lose, but this is my lowest weight since March 2016. I can definitely feel the difference in my skiing with a better strength-to-weight ratio.
Congratulations!
Any keys to success you would like to pass on to those of us on the same journey?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Congratulations!
Any keys to success you would like to pass on to those of us on the same journey?

This is the first time I've ever done keto with the approach of not varying my meals at all. I have literally eaten the same thing every day other than on Thanksgiving and Christmas. What I've learned this time around is that our bodies will vary in weight from day to day for reasons that might not always be obvious. There would be days where I would gain a half pound and then others where I would lose 1.5 lbs. All the while eating exactly the same food in the same amounts. In past dieting phases I used to try to attribute these weight variances by looking harder at what I ate or how I exercised. What a waste of time that was because now I understand that we just naturally will vary over time, but as long as you just stay the course the weight will come off consistently within the historical trend.

I could never do a diet like this if it weren't for the science behind keto and how it manages the weight control hormones. My fasting blood glucose (FBG) measurements at the start of the diet struggled to get below 100. Now I'm consistently in the 80s (and sometimes 70s after hard exercise the day before). This is a clear indicator of how much better my body operates when I control the sugar/carbs intake. I also love the effective never-ending supply of energy fuel when my body burns fat as its preference. I never hit the wall like what can happen when you're running on sugar fuels. Lately I've been doing inbounds skinning laps. I'll eat breakfast very early before I leave for the mountain and then do a pretty heavy cardio workout (skinning up the mountain) and then ski all the way through the lunch hour until my leg muscles are completely fatigued. So I don't eat again for about 7-8 hours without any concern or thought of being "hungry". I find having this kind of "power" over my need to eat incredibly freeing in my life. I'm not constantly concerned about finding my next meal to give my brain the sugar rush it's addicted to. Getting into keto is honestly like going through withdrawal from an addiction to sugar. Most folks live on this planet tied to their food intake schedule. I probably could go for a day or two without food and without any major change in my ability to function.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
That’s a very interesting concept. What did you eat every day?

The key isn't so much what I eat, but that you get the macros correct each day. I have found that getting the caloric ratios at 80% fat, 17% protein, 3% carbs (or less) is best. It's very easy to overeat protein which can stall weight loss (you won't necessarily gain, but you only need 1.0-1.5g of protein per 1.0kg of lean body mass). I only need 80-100g protein/day.

So I eat a 2 egg omelet with cheese, bacon, and spinach each morning. For lunch it's 2 slices of bacon and a sausage (these are nitrate-free, no-crap added meat products, be careful with your meat sources). Dinner is an avocado with salsa (1g carb/serving) and shredded cheese). Dessert is 10 macadamia nuts mixed with some coconut oil.

Note that you must "work your way" into this kind of eating. You cannot flip a switch and suddenly make this work when your body is not yet keto-adapted. I fully acknowledge that this stringent of a diet approach will not work if you're going out to eat often or attending parties/social gatherings. That's why I don't attempt this during my golfing season months because there's a lot of socialization going on (read that as "beer" ;) ).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Noodler I'm glad that's working for you, but I don't find that kind of daily eating sustainable.
Sure, I could do it for a week or two but long term I variety keeps me on track for healthy eating.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
if you have high cholesterol, liver or kidney issues please consult your dr first!

Actually this type of diet resolves all of those issues. Most studies on these concerns are NOT in the realm of a keto diet. They were all done with high levels of carbs present in the system. My blood work over the years has shown fantastic results. You cannot half-a$$ this. You cannot do it partially without consequences. Go all-in or don't go at all.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@Noodler I'm glad that's working for you, but I don't find that kind of daily eating sustainable.
Sure, I could do it for a week or two but long term I variety keeps me on track for healthy eating.

Agreed that this approach to keto isn't for everyone, but this isn't the only way to do it. Also note that your definition of "healthy eating" and mine are not in agreement as I am firmly in the camp that humans were not originally designed to be sugar burning machines. That happened over fairly recent history in human evolution as we changed our food supply.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually this type of diet resolves all of those issues. Most studies on these concerns are NOT in the realm of a keto diet. They were all done with high levels of carbs present in the system. My blood work over the years has shown fantastic results. You cannot half-a$$ this. You cannot do it partially without consequences. Go all-in or don't go at all.
That's debatable.
For every study you find that says its healthy, I can show you a study that says its not.
I had a conversation with my doctor last fall about my lifestyle on WW and she was pretty clear that she is not an advocate of keto/Atkins type diets, and was glad that I was doing something as sensible as WW. I'll take the advice of my doctor over a random dude on the internet.
Again, I'm glad you are finding results but I'm not sure its a great option for a good percentage of the people looking for a dietary lifestyle change.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Agreed that this approach to keto isn't for everyone, but this isn't the only way to do it. Also note that your definition of "healthy eating" and mine are not in agreement as I am firmly in the camp that humans were not originally designed to be sugar burning machines. That happened over fairly recent history in human evolution as we changed our food supply.
What makes you think I believe humans are designed to be sugar burning machines?
That is so far away from my thinking and lifestyle. In fact, the amount of sugar I consume is extremely minimal. I have no idea why you would think otherwise.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
The key isn't so much what I eat, but that you get the macros correct each day. I have found that getting the caloric ratios at 80% fat, 17% protein, 3% carbs (or less) is best. It's very easy to overeat protein which can stall weight loss (you won't necessarily gain, but you only need 1.0-1.5g of protein per 1.0kg of lean body mass). I only need 80-100g protein/day.

So I eat a 2 egg omelet with cheese, bacon, and spinach each morning. For lunch it's 2 slices of bacon and a sausage (these are nitrate-free, no-crap added meat products, be careful with your meat sources). Dinner is an avocado with salsa (1g carb/serving) and shredded cheese). Dessert is 10 macadamia nuts mixed with some coconut oil.

Note that you must "work your way" into this kind of eating. You cannot flip a switch and suddenly make this work when your body is not yet keto-adapted. I fully acknowledge that this stringent of a diet approach will not work if you're going out to eat often or attending parties/social gatherings. That's why I don't attempt this during my golfing season months because there's a lot of socialization going on (read that as "beer" ;) ).
:geek:
That sounds like less than 1,000 calories!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
carbs=sugar. Sugar exists in many forms once food are digested and converted by the body, fructose, alcohol, lactose, and so on. most forms are simple sugars and are burned extremely fast by the body (glucose, white flour, honey are examples), others are slow to convert and are know as complex carbs (Farro, quinoa, tapioca, Brown rice, Oatmeal) .Whole grains are also an important source of fiber, minerals and other nutrients, so its not just a "carb"They allow the body to use them over a period of time, extending their energy release. Athletes use a blend of fast and slow burning cabs for endurance sports. Your body needs fat, it uses them for protection of organs and other key functions but once your body fat levels get too low, your body will resort to burning your muscle for fuel if it doesn't have other energy sources. It also leads to organ failure. This is part of starvation.

Nitrate-free meat doesn't make the meat better, nitrates are just not good for you. If you want to look at "healthier" meat, look at grass-fed and grass finished beef and pork. Corn is not a natural food of cows and buffalo (for instance) and it does effect the fat make-up, specifically Omega content. it is not digested well by them. (lots of info on this)

we can certainly debate human evolution and diet, most modern humans evolved eating over 150 different types of food sources and there is evidence that once humans figured out how to cook meat, their diets changed but it wasn't until about 15K (give or take few thousand years depending on geographic location) humans changed from nomadic hunter-gathers to living in small groups and later to cities and began to grow and develop new animal species and crops with grains (not to mention organized religions and written language). Thats when our diets truly changed adding in "caborhydrate-based foods" but that allowed humans to increase their lifespan and supplanted more protein-based diets. But, what really is the culprit, is processed foods and processed foods contain high amounts of salt, sugar and saturated fats (not to mention lots of chemicals). They are as addictive as cocaine and other drugs. they are "empty" calories as they fill a person up but do not provide any nutrition and result in the body converting the extra calories into fat and lack essential nutrients and fiber. And, lets not overlook the effects of alcohol on our bodies. want to lose weight? Cut out alcohol. it has very little benefit.

However, as humans diets changed so did their DNA and continues to evolv at the fastest pace in our total evolution. A result of this is that some people are much more prone to high cholesterol regardless of diet, Some are lactose intolerant (USA vs Euro) as well as Gluten intolerance. So to say Keto (for example) is good for everyone is a misnomer. I do think minimizing simple carbs is a good idea as they provide very little benefit however fruits are essential to humans diets unless you are taking supplements including additional sources of fiber.

Testing on Keto in fact does show many benefits however, few people are able to maintain this over a life-time and long-term studies have not been conduct. I think the majority of benefits can be obtained by simply cutting out processed foods, drastically limiting simple carbs, (including all sugar-based drinks and white four) cutting out alcohol and eating a heathy balanced diet including complex carbs. Grass-fed beef and pork And, drinking more water. Exercise is also critical and without it, you may lose weight but you aren't doing anything to help your overall health and exercise helps the body to burn fuel more efficiently. Building muscles burns more calories. And, at the end of the day, Calories in vs calories out = weight loss or gain. However, if your goal is to add muscle or increase endurance, you need to fuel your body adequately.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
That's debatable.
For every study you find that says its healthy, I can show you a study that says its not.
I had a conversation with my doctor last fall about my lifestyle on WW and she was pretty clear that she is not an advocate of keto/Atkins type diets, and was glad that I was doing something as sensible as WW. I'll take the advice of my doctor over a random dude on the internet.
Again, I'm glad you are finding results but I'm not sure its a great option for a good percentage of the people looking for a dietary lifestyle change.

I have found that most doctors are absolutely clueless when it comes to diet. They aren't actually trained in diet and the mainstream medical community does not study the latest research coming out of the keto world. My doctor actually is one of the very few that is fully abreast of the latest findings and research.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
carbs=sugar. Sugar exists in many forms once food are digested and converted by the body, fructose, alcohol, lactose, and so on. most forms are simple sugars and are burned extremely fast by the body (glucose, white flour, honey are examples), others are slow to convert and are know as complex carbs (Farro, quinoa, tapioca, Brown rice, Oatmeal) .Whole grains are also an important source of fiber, minerals and other nutrients, so its not just a "carb"They allow the body to use them over a period of time, extending their energy release. Athletes use a blend of fast and slow burning cabs for endurance sports. Your body needs fat, it uses them for protection of organs and other key functions but once your body fat levels get too low, your body will resort to burning your muscle for fuel if it doesn't have other energy sources. It also leads to organ failure. This is part of starvation.

Nitrate-free meat doesn't make the meat better, nitrates are just not good for you. If you want to look at "healthier" meat, look at grass-fed and grass finished beef and pork. Corn is not a natural food of cows and buffalo (for instance) and it does effect the fat make-up, specifically Omega content. it is not digested well by them. (lots of info on this)

we can certainly debate human evolution and diet, most modern humans evolved eating over 150 different types of food sources and there is evidence that once humans figured out how to cook meat, their diets changed but it wasn't until about 15K (give or take few thousand years depending on geographic location) humans changed from nomadic hunter-gathers to living in small groups and later to cities and began to grow and develop new animal species and crops with grains (not to mention organized religions and written language). Thats when our diets truly changed but what really is the culprit, is processed foods and processed foods contain high amounts of salt, sugar and saturated fats (not to mention lots of chemicals). They are as addictive as cocaine and other drugs. they are "empty" calories as they fill a person up but do not provide any nutrition and result in the body converting the extra calories into fat and lack essential nutrients and fiber. And, lets not overlook the effects of alcohol on our bodies. want to lose weight? Cut out alcohol. it has very little benefit.

However, as humans diets changed so did their DNA and continues to evolv at the fastest pace in our total evolution. A result of this is that some people are much more prone to high cholesterol regardless of diet, Some are lactose intolerant (USA vs Euro) as well as Gluten intolerance. So to say Keto (for example) is good for everyone is a misnomer. I do think minimizing simple carbs is a good idea as they provide very little benefit however fruits are essential to humans diets unless you are taking supplements including additional sources of fiber.

Testing on Keto in fact does show many benefits however, few people are able to maintain this over a life-time and long-term studies have not been conduct. I think the majority of benefits can be obtained by simply cutting out processed foods, drastically limiting simple carbs, (including all sugar-based drinks and white four) cutting out alcohol and eating a heathy balanced diet including complex carbs. Grass-fed beef and pork And, drinking more water. Exercise is also critical and without it, you may lose weight but you aren't doing anything to help your overall health and exercise helps the body to burn fuel more efficiently. Building muscles burns more calories. And, at the end of the day, Calories in vs calories out = weight loss or gain.

I agree with everything you wrote, however it does not mention how our food supply has been modified over time to enhance/increase the sugar levels. Fruit from hundreds of years ago is not what we find today in your neighborhood grocery store. Ancient man did not survive on plants (especially fruit) as their primary food source. We have polluted our food supply to feed our addiction to the sugar rush. It's everywhere you look. You will know when you've actually removed your dependence on sugar addiction when you monitor your blood glucose levels and lose the cravings for an immediate food-fix to get your brain to stop screaming for it's next sugar hit. I don't care what kind of diet you call it, being dependent on sugar to function is the root of so much illness.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Caloric needs are based on your body's needs for fuel; weight loss vs muscle gain and proper recovery 1800 may work for some, may be far too low for many involved in high output sports but regardless of the make-up, too many calories will result in weight gain and too little, weight loss based on a persons caloric burn.

Please go back and re-read, I did discuss processed foods and its not just sugar.

"But, what really is the culprit, is processed foods and processed foods contain high amounts of salt, sugar and saturated fats (not to mention lots of chemicals). They are as addictive as cocaine and other drugs. they are "empty" calories as they fill a person up but do not provide any nutrition and result in the body converting the extra calories into fat and lack essential nutrients and fiber. And, lets not overlook the effects of alcohol on our bodies. want to lose weight? Cut out alcohol. it has very little benefit."

Salt, Sugar and saturated fats (Trans-Fats especially) are the Trifecta of processed foods. There's little surprise that tobacco-based companies own a very large percent of processed food companies and brands. Tobacco companies have a pretty good history on knowing what is addictive to humans.

Keep in mind that theres a difference between nutrition and sports nutrition. Fueling a body for daily survival vs the luxury of nutrition for sports comes from having a surplus of foods. Modern humans have the luxury of time because of the ability to raise crops, farm animals and control the growth of food (all modern foods for humans) . We recently entered the age where our chemical manipulation of foods have changed our DNA and who knows what else. We have more nutritional deficient areas in the USA than ever before thanks to Dollar general and fast food which has lead to obesity and nutritional deficient populations. And, dont forget that our brain require enormous amounts of nutrition and energy to develop and function.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
If you haven't read it already, I strong suggest reading "Sapiens, A Brief History of Humankind". But, please buy it at your local bookstore!

Also, "Fast Food Nation"

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Sugar addiction is real, but so is fat and salt addiction.

No such thing as "fat addiction" without the presence of sugar or salt. I refuse to believe that anyone can handle more than a spoonful of coconut oil or bacon grease and actually want more. Sugar and salt are a totally different story.