• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keto, Low Carb, Atkins, IF Thread

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Have you tried eating same amount of calories from other sources?

Sure - like many folks I was raised on the low-fat mantra. I did plenty of diets way back when that were only caloric restriction based diets. The power of keto is the management of the weight control hormones. This means that your brain is rewired to no longer tell you you're hungry when you really don't need more food. When you're on the roller coaster of the typical blood sugar cycle, the only thing you have going for you on a strictly caloric controlled diet is your will power. Good luck with that...

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Caloric needs are based on your body's needs for fuel; weight loss vs muscle gain and proper recovery 1800 may work for some, may be far too low for many involved in high output sports but regardless of the make-up, too many calories will result in weight gain and too little, weight loss based on a persons caloric burn.

Please go back and re-read, I did discuss processed foods and its not just sugar.

"But, what really is the culprit, is processed foods and processed foods contain high amounts of salt, sugar and saturated fats (not to mention lots of chemicals). They are as addictive as cocaine and other drugs. they are "empty" calories as they fill a person up but do not provide any nutrition and result in the body converting the extra calories into fat and lack essential nutrients and fiber. And, lets not overlook the effects of alcohol on our bodies. want to lose weight? Cut out alcohol. it has very little benefit."

Salt, Sugar and saturated fats (Trans-Fats especially) are the Trifecta of processed foods. There's little surprise that tobacco-based companies own a very large percent of processed food companies and brands. Tobacco companies have a pretty good history on knowing what is addictive to humans.

Keep in mind that theres a difference between nutrition and sports nutrition. Fueling a body for daily survival vs the luxury of nutrition for sports comes from having a surplus of foods. Modern humans have the luxury of time because of the ability to raise crops, farm animals and control the growth of food (all modern foods for humans) . We recently entered the age where our chemical manipulation of foods have changed our DNA and who knows what else. We have more nutritional deficient areas in the USA than ever before thanks to Dollar general and fast food which has lead to obesity and nutritional deficient populations. And, dont forget that our brain require enormous amounts of nutrition and energy to develop and function.

The only area where they have not found keto to far surpass other sports nutrition approaches is for absolute peak performance in sprint type competitions. Keto fueled athletes have destroyed the records for ultra marathons and the like. You have sooooo much more fuel available on your body when fueled by fat. You can only store so much glucose/glycogen and must refuel often. Lots and lots of info about this on the interwebz.

I'm with you on the processed foods mantra, but unfortunately even whole foods have been adulterated by the food industry and manipulated to the point of decreasing nutritional value and increasing presence of deleterious factors.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
oh yes there is! Read up on it. Here's just one article from the Govt'. Fat, sugar and salt are all highly addictive.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
oh yes there is! Read up on it. Here's just one article from the Govt'. Fat, sugar and salt are all highly addictive.

All total BS. Once again, without the presence of salt or sugar, no one is going to be reaching for more fat. As usual, these studies do not separate the correct variables from the control. So the conclusions are incorrect.

Fat is not the enemy. It has been incorrectly maligned by faulty research (and in one historic case, totally faked data to support a hypothesis that was never real).

And while I'm on my soap-box... cholesterol is also not the enemy. Cholesterol are the "fire fighters" responding to a fire. The current accepted medical practice is to eliminate the fire fighters to effectively pretend there is no fire. No one on the planet should be taking Statins.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure - like many folks I was raised on the low-fat mantra. I did plenty of diets way back when that were only caloric restriction based diets. The power of keto is the management of the weight control hormones. This means that your brain is rewired to no longer tell you you're hungry when you really don't need more food. When you're on the roller coaster of the typical blood sugar cycle, the only thing you have going for you on a strictly caloric controlled diet is your will power. Good luck with that...

Understand. I asked that because on 1800 kcal per day you are barely covering the maintenance needs of your body and for one who has active lifestyle as you do, this seems to be quite low.
It is interesting to know whether your weight loss is a result of the type of diet or a result of the calorie deficit you keep your body in as with skiing and especially touring, you burn much more than you eat.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Actually it's right around 1800/day. The key is that it doesn't rely on will power to stick to since it controls the appetite hormones.
Agreed.
When I am in ketosis (according to my Keto-Mojo tester), I almost have to make myself eat.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Understand. I asked that because on 1800 kcal per day you are barely covering the maintenance needs of your body and for one who has active lifestyle as you do, this seems to be quite low.
It is interesting to know whether your weight loss is a result of the type of diet or a result of the calorie deficit you keep your body in as with skiing and especially touring, you burn much more than you eat.

As usual, these are things I've researched and implemented for many years. I calculate my LBM, BMR, and TDEE. I know fairly well what intake I need to lose, maintain, or gain. The other thing to be aware of is that CICO is not something that really works the way people think. A calorie is not a calorie without regard to the source. The human body is not a thermodynamic engine, thus it does not treat all calories as equal. There is plenty of evidence in the keto world of people far exceeding their overall calorie intake for their TDEE and yet lose tons of weight.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
yeah, there are lot of different theories and different approaches. Some very interesting scientific studies out that pretty much show that there is no "one" best strategy but just look to see what all the pro cyclists are doing and its not much of a mystery. in the USA, most jpeople say "Pro Cyclist?? there's such a thing?" LOL, its a billion dollar industry that dwarfs football.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
What were we talking about? Using Keto to lower weight.

The big benefit for me has been in the area of recovery from head injury. I mentioned a while back about my fall at Stratton - March 25, 2022.

The concussion pain was brutal - long lasting and roving in nature. It sucked. I also had loud ringing in my ears that would not quit.

I ate Keto for two weeks in June and the ringing completely went away - head aches too. Right now I am dealing with inflamation issues and Keto is a diet that is helpful in dealing with this condition. The Paleo Diet is also beneficial and it has helped me in the past. But today I started Keto and will see what happens.

I will be going to a Pulmonologist at the end of August. My coditioning continues to slip and my lack of lung capasity and performance continues to decline. That appointment leaves me two months to deal with these concerns. Opening day, Killington end of October!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I thought I'd sign onto this thread since I'm doing Atkins (did it 1998-2007* and was quite successful.) Down 18 lbs so far. Losing slowly relative to when I was younger, but that's fine. (I started CGRP meds for my migraines and EVERYONE in the CGRP forums I'm in is gaining, so I feel like as long as I'm losing, it's good.) Averaging 18.8 net carbs per day, but also watching calories (and adjusting caloric goal range down as I lose.) Calories average 1611 per day, generally lower in more recent weeks. I expect to reach goal weight in 2024.

* In 2007 I was in a ski accident and followed that up with a broken knee cap in 2008. Was pretty much in PT for over 3 years, so had other things on my mind not the least of which was a steady increase in migraines to the point that they were sometimes every other day. Fixing the migraines is giving me the energy to work on the weight issue.

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am at one week and I am down 8+ lbs from Keto. I am experimenting with veggies while trying to keep the carbs down.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am at one week and I am down 8+ lbs from Keto. I am experimenting with veggies while trying to keep the carbs down.

Interesting how we are all different. I get the same results on oatmeal, fruits, potatoes, broccoli and other stuff with no meat whatsoever and no animal fat. Will strongly consider going vegan again for short periods-like 1-2 weeks. More than that and it is getting too much.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
In my quest for carb reduction, I discovered Carbonaut white bread at Costco, but I didn't like the taste, so I wrote it off. Then surprise, surprise, I was fed some Carbonaut bread by my daughter and it tasted good; it was carbonot seeded bread. There's more than one kind. Who knew?
Per 34 g slice: sugar 0 g, carbohydrates 8 g, Fibers 6 g, calories 80. Yeah, that's a small slice, but still pretty good for net carbs, even if you double it.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Per 34 g slice: sugar 0 g, carbohydrates 8 g, Fibers 6 g, calories 80. Yeah, that's a small slice, but still pretty good for net carbs, even if you double it.
It would ruin my day. Supposed to be targeting 18-22 carbs a day until I get within 40 pounds of goal. That might happen in February.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^

18-22 is quite aggressive but doable. At that rate you need 5 plus weeks to reach a loss of 40. I get it, you have a much more substaitial goal. I would call that a worthy goal.

I bailed at one week with a loss of 9 lbs. Plan to go back at it shortly. My health is feeble and I just didn't have the will and focus to stick with it. I can do it and will.