• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kick and glide - got REAL glutes?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ignore the 'sprinting' context. Take very careful note of how he activates the glutes, how squatting doesn't - and note the leg extension.

Then go home (and walk uphill :D . Or watch the same poster's hip activation video. Whatever. )

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Is that back "In" now as a thing?

Not in any stream I am part of. :huh:

I read something about don't bother walking for exercise if you aren't using your glutes ....

That's a bit over the top for my sensibilities.

I understand not practicing bad habits, and heel strike/hip locked/lowerback-hamstring intensive walking is rife with bad habits...

but it's too good at low zone aerobic to just ditch altogether.

Anyway, my point about kick and glide skiing is purely my own, but I am heartily sick of people who just think shuffling better will get them anywhere. And this seems rather a good place to start.

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not in any stream I am part of. :huh:

That's a bit over the top for my sensibilities.

I understand not practicing bad habits, and heel strike/hip locked/lowerback-hamstring intensive walking is rife with bad habits...

but it's too good at low zone aerobic to just ditch altogether.
His Proprioception description looks almost exactly like race walking. Those guys are surprisingly FAST!!!!!!!!

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've taken racewalk lessons in NYC and it was an eyeopener. Nice lessons @ 2:15 I race my assistant down the hall and she usually ends up laughing at me bec the positioning looks so weird but you go so fast.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ignore the 'sprinting' context. Take very careful note of how he activates the glutes, how squatting doesn't - and note the leg extension.

Then go home (and walk uphill :D . Or watch the same poster's hip activation video. Whatever. )

Is this like the Pose method of walking.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've gotten so slow and fat over the last year that I decided my ski season was in jeopardy. So I've started taking this conditioning class that meets twice a week at 6:30am. It's led by a recent US XC Olympian. At my current level of fitness everything we do is HTFU, starting with the frozen meetup. I DEFINITELY do not belong there, but I paid my money so they tolerate me.

The thing we've been doing the most is what she calls "bounding," which is basically sprinting in powerful (ha!) strides up steep grassy hills, using poles with purpose. Holy humility, Batman.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've gotten so slow and fat over the last year that I decided my ski season was in jeopardy. So I've started taking this conditioning class that meets twice a week at 6:30am. It's led by a recent US XC Olympian. At my current level of fitness everything we do is HTFU, starting with the frozen meetup. I DEFINITELY do not belong there, but I paid my money so they tolerate me.

The thing we've been doing the most is what she calls "bounding," which is basically sprinting in powerful (ha!) strides up steep grassy hills, using poles with purpose. Holy humility, Batman.
I'm going with anything is better then nothing, but... I'm sure HIIT are super cool and super popular nowadays, and instead of hour or two, it takes 5min, which is super cool nowadays when it's impossible for everyone to take hour time in a day for yourself. But reality is, you can't do much to improve anything in 5min, so my suggestion is still normal low intensity training first, and once people have normal endurance, only then they include (yes include not switch over completely) some HIIT sessions. Purely HIIT has so many bad things that it's really on pair with all instagram diets and health care suggestions :)
I'm probably wrong in your case, as first, if you are able to do this, you probably are not "so slow and so fat" as you write :D, and second most likely "sprinting uphill with poles" means a bit different for you then for me. For me, that's one of this autumns "sprint uphill with poles" session :)
int.jpg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You tell me :)

(To my mind, Deb Armstrong's thumbnail in the other thread looks more like the Pose 'S' stance. https://www.skitalk.com/threads/deb-armstrong-ski-like-you-run.32299/

This thread is just about putting the leg and hips in a position where a forefoot setdown is natural enough to be preferred. And about driving the back leg as far as it can go. But what do I know :huh: )

Maybe not a direct comparison, but the first thing I thought about while viewing your Build Glutes by Walking vid. Pose is about getting the forefoot set-down in a gravity based, natural, and non-forced manor, but probably doesn't emphasis hip posture much. Anyway good vid.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going with anything is better then nothing, but... I'm sure HIIT are super cool and super popular nowadays, and instead of hour or two, it takes 5min, which is super cool nowadays when it's impossible for everyone to take hour time in a day for yourself. But reality is, you can't do much to improve anything in 5min, so my suggestion is still normal low intensity training first, and once people have normal endurance, only then they include (yes include not switch over completely) some HIIT sessions. Purely HIIT has so many bad things that it's really on pair with all instagram diets and health care suggestions :)
I'm probably wrong in your case, as first, if you are able to do this, you probably are not "so slow and so fat" as you write :D, and second most likely "sprinting uphill with poles" means a bit different for you then for me. For me, that's one of this autumns "sprint uphill with poles" session :)
View attachment 216997
Oh yes. I make no claims about anything I'm doing being part of a properly planned annual cycle of training, that an actual athlete would recognize. Nor would the extremely pleasant leader of the class be satisfied with my description of what we did. (She might describe it as a fifteen minute "warmup" of jogging* at our own pace, with poles, followed a half hour of running** at our own sustainable*** pace, with periodic short intervals of hill bounding.)

I have no expectation of going from unfit to fit in two months. My goal is to go from unfit to less unfit without hurting myself in the process. I'm old enough to know, mostly, when to dial it back.

The epiphany for me, one point nine minutes into the first class, was, "Oh, they assume that I've been running all summer and fall, when in fact I've been sitting on the couch drinking."

* experienced as running
** experienced as running effing fast
*** reduced to walking after the top of each hill

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Pose is about getting the forefoot set-down in a gravity based, natural, and non-forced manor,

An excellent thing to have. And it ain't happening on the bike, nor in the weight room.

Anyway, since we're about to have another ~5 weeks of rain cycle after the first cold snap, I'm extending my Oct./Nov. gait focus to near New Years'.

With a wave of the NAO wand, 5 weeks turns into 10...*shrug* the alternative is drinking...

EDIT: I might do that too, so cheers to whoever is building Glutes and mitochondria with me.

Last edited:
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I read something about don't bother walking for exercise if you aren't using your glutes ....

There's a hilariously funny Mike Israetel/ Gary Doucette cardio love-in video where they talk about using walking during a gaining stage - but only if you're good at walking :D

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
She might describe it as a fifteen minute "warmup" of jogging* at our own pace, with poles, followed a half hour of running** at our own sustainable*** pace, with periodic short intervals of hill bounding.)

I have no expectation of going from unfit to fit in two months. My goal is to go from unfit to less unfit without hurting myself in the process. I'm old enough to know, mostly, when to dial it back.
That makes much more sense, as "sprinting uphill" would mean more or less max effort thing. Running for half hour with 15min walking is for most of people pretty nice endurance training that is low enough effort to be considered as low intensity... let's face, most of people are not able to hold 30+min of high intensity so like it or not, we all revert to low intensity when it starts to get longer. Also your "I know when to dial it back" tells exactly this. So forget all what I wrote earlier, as it was missunderstanding from my side, and enjoy this what you are doing. I'm sure weird like hell, but running around for hours is actually fun :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online