• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sure you can swing your uphill ski when the slope is very mellow, but then you don't need a kick turn there.
When you need one, starting with the downhill ski is the only way you can do it.

You can reach your downhill ski uphill and across, then use that ski, now reversed, to go in the other direction. I much preferr that method but I use the kick turn once in a while too. Somewhat dull.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can reach your downhill ski uphill and across, then use that ski, now reversed, to go in the other direction. I much preferr that method but I use the kick turn once in a while too. Somewhat dull.
Sure you can do this on mellow terrain, but anything steep.

But if it's mellow, why do you need a kick turn?

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kick turns are for steep narrow spots or at least that's a place where they come in handy. It's a helpful trick for New England's steep and tight terrain. I am not saying that it is always the right choice but it can get you out of a jam from time to time.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Sure you can do this on mellow terrain, but anything steep.

But if it's mellow, why do you need a kick turn?

Turning around to face a skier or group when teaching without losing elevation.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Into the vortex of the interwebz... I teach and coach. I spend a decent amount of time skiing backwards watching people ski. Twin tips aren't necessary at all ( I teach on everything from SL skis to 118 Powder boards, but more often on a cheater GS or all mountain 88) unless you're sliding around in powder, or thicker, deeper chopped up crud switch.

In a group teaching situation, I use kickturns regularly to face a group or individual in the group when we're out of alignment at a stopping/starting point. I've done them for over 50 years so they're second nature. I do teach them to kids when we have a moment while waiting to meet another group or parents. We even do kickturn races once they get it dialed. It's fun and useful. I also teach all mountain skiers to get comfortable moving backward in steep terrain to access a line or entry... think 'falling leaf' entry.

Kickturns, moving backwards, and skiing switch all have their tactical time and place. Many skiers of late don't do kickturns because they can't and end up in wild twist ups trying to talk to or help their kids, then sliding to turn and then having to side step up. It's tiring and a waste of time when a quick kickturn gets you where you need ro be in an instant. I teach new instructors to do them as mobility and quick direction changes in tight spaces (to repeat) save both time and energy.... and hopefully that's all I have to say about that.
:beercheer:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
@KingGrump I blame my participation in this thread on YOU, bud.

:roflmao:

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looks like a handy skill. My hips and knees hurt just watching the videos demonstrating it though. Not convinced my joints rotate that way.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
I do a kick turn just to prove to myself I still have good flexibility as my knees sure aren't going to deliver that kind of performance. And if you're lucky, some 25 year old will say "How do you DO THAT?"

That's really why I go skiing, everything else is just mileage in-between kick turns and stymying 25 year olds.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I do 5 kick turns in each direction before the lifts start spinning as a stretching/warmup exercise. Usually starts a conversation with someone too.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I do 5 kick turns in each direction before the lifts start spinning as a stretching/warmup exercise. Usually starts a conversation with someone too.

Let me guess.... " you must be a ski instructor". :roflmao:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Nope. They just ask what I’m doing.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Some guy spinning around in the lift line looks silly. Not like an instructor at all.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Every time I see this thread, it makes me think of "The Producers". Turn, turn, Kick, turn!

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like a handy skill. My hips and knees hurt just watching the videos demonstrating it though. Not convinced my joints rotate that way.
I second this. I have seen kick turns in older movies etc., and it is not a skill I have heretofore learned. So, armed with no boots and no skis (didn't want the wifely ridicule on a 100 degree day), I practiced on the carpet using my desk behind me as my poles. Net result, how TF if one is a bit older can one get the downhill ski close enough to 180 degrees relative to where it was? My ankles and knees won't do that ... but maybe, and here is where the afficionados who do it second nature may help, as you are putting the downhill ski down, one is already twisting it the extra 50 degrees or so that my old knees would require while lifting the old uphill about to be downhill and perhaps pivoting slightly on the back of the old downhill shortly to be uphill ski? Somehow I may need a slow motion movie of it ...

Sponsor

Staff online